VWR Lupo

The definitive Gearbox thread

Just changed the 18 month old tractor diff oil (straight mineral EP90 GL5 because it was whiney) back to fully synthetic 75EP90 GL4-5 as it's easier to change gear when the oil is cold.

After a year and a half (15k miles) this is what I found on the little magnet I stuck inside the sump plug (in addition to the built in magnet you cant get to). Gives me an idea that all is still ok- no major chips- just very fine black dust. Also the oil came out nice and clean which is a bonus.

I'm still going to rebuild it when I get a chance. 90k miles and counting on my SDI no.1.

1sck5w.jpg

On 21/08/2015 at 11:03 AM, Sausage said:

The only real way to overfill it is while it's off the car before refitting it.

You can fill it the old way through the speedo pickup :)

On 8/21/2015 at 11:03 AM, Sausage said:

The only real way to overfill it is while it's off the car before refitting it.

Or jack the front of the car up. 

hello there guys. i have a 1.4 lupo e. the gearbox has a bad, loud grinding noise when in neutral. if i put my foot on the clutch pedal the noise goes immediately but foot of the clutch pedal its back. i bought a clutch release bearing and want to change it myself. what i want to know is doi have to drain the oil or i can do it without drain it as i have no idea of where to do it from. can somebody help me out here please with a guide. thanks.

41 minutes ago, changes0311 said:

hello there guys. i have a 1.4 lupo e. the gearbox has a bad, loud grinding noise when in neutral. if i put my foot on the clutch pedal the noise goes immediately but foot of the clutch pedal its back. i bought a clutch release bearing and want to change it myself. what i want to know is doi have to drain the oil or i can do it without drain it as i have no idea of where to do it from. can somebody help me out here please with a guide. thanks.

No need to drain oil.

Remove start motor (3x13mm head bolts) 

remove driveshaft bolts (12 in total - think they’re size 10 , definitely triple square / spline though) 

4x 18mm head bolts hold it to the block

drop box out (it will clear the subframe and driveshafts with a bit of wiggling!) 

replace thrust bearing. 

Installation is repeat of removal. 

Probably not your release bearing (unless clutch is out of adjustment), more likely bearing in gearbox.

Slowly press the clutch pedal, listen and also feel with your foot, when does the noise change? Slowly release clutch, now where does the noise come in?

You dont have to drain the box to remove it as said above as it has drive flanges which seal it, but to be honest you would be better off cracking off the fill (do this one first!) and drain plugs in situ (as they can be hard to undo with the box off the car) and draining it into a tray and shining a torch into the oil and looking for metal particles before deciding to drop the box.

sorry to drag this up again, can anyone recommend a company that you have used in the past to rebuild the gti 6 speed box that charges a reasonable price. I am based in Grimsby (DN36) so the closer the better but i dont mind travelling a little if i have too.

Hey everyone, I’ve had my vw Lupo 1.4s 16v for a year or so now, and a few months back, I noticed a terrible rattle/whiney noise, originally though it was the thrust bearing so changed that along with the clutch, however the noise it still there. It goes once the clutch is in, however it’s there straight away as soon as you are driving, 1st 2nd 3rd all make the noise however 4th and 5th don’t. Any suggestions on what it could be? Cheers 

Don't drive it. Had my box rebuilt yesterday for £50 plus new bearing/seal kit. Sounds like your pinion bearing has probably gone out for lunch. Irrecoverable.

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Don't drive it. Had my box rebuilt yesterday for £50 plus new bearing/seal kit. Sounds like your pinion bearing has probably gone out for lunch. Irrecoverable.

Did you rebuild it yourself? So is there nothing I can do then? Is it gunna be a new gearbox

6 hours ago, mk2 said:

@Mk2, where did you get the bearing/seal kit? Approx how much are they?

@Charlieb793, When my input shaft bearing went, the noise happened in every gear. It does sound like the box needs rebuilding.

Ebay for 85 quid. Just make absolutely sure that they are decent branded bearings like timken, skf, fag etc.

On 7/21/2018 at 11:48 AM, mk2 said:

Ebay for 85 quid. Just make absolutely sure that they are decent branded bearings like timken, skf, fag etc.

Thanks for that! Exactly as you say, several almost identical kits, same prices, some NOT using decent bearings!

One of my boxes has a noisy input shaft bearing which this kit should fix. The other has lost 4th gear. I have not split the box yet, the ebay box I bought as a stop gap is still running OK with EP90 "Tractor oil".

Is a used box the best source of parts for the 4th gear problem?

I wouldn't buy anything till the box has been opened up. If the gears or pinion bearing casting has 'gone', you'll have no option other than to get a replacement box. I only had my box rebuilt as I know that even though it was running 100% fine, they don't last. Personally, if you don't know the history of the car and it's done over 100k miles, I'd spend the £130 and then relax that you have at least another five decent years of use from it. Good investment.

I need to get my other box done too although it is running ok.