The definitive Gearbox thread

Since having a new clutch fitted (at which point all my pedal box noises vanished) I have an annoying new noise which I am hoping someone can identify for me.

It's a whine which appears when cold, not immediately on start up, but sometimes as much as 10 minutes later.

It has so far always gone after a short period of time (5 mins at most I'd say).

It is not related to engine speed, only wheel speed.

And it happens both with clutch and gears engaged and with clutch disengaged.

Am I right in thinking this is a problem with the thrust bearing and it should be returned to the garage for fixing, or should I be fetching my spare gearbox sharpish?

It sounds like how my gear box started, noisy from cold but went but the longer I left it I got worse (as in it whined when it was warmed up and got louder over time. It turned out to be the thrust bearing, best you get it sorted hun :(

Is it likely to be a faulty thrust bearing or faulting fitting?

Cos it had a new one when the clutch went in, but I supplied the clutch, so one way it will cost me more money, the other way the garage has to fix it free of charge cos they got it wrong!

To be honest mate your not ever going to know if its a badly fitted or faulty thrust bearing, if you take it back to the same place that built it they are bound to say its a faulty part!

Hi all,

I have a 1.4 16v 2002 lupo - 52 reg engine code BBY. I've basically determined the pinion bearing is on they way out and I need it rebuilt.

BOH : (

Anyway i phoned around to get some prices today and the first thing the fella at the garage said was is it an 085 (less expensive) or 02T (more expensive) box. can anyone shed any light on this?

I have googled about and think it is an 085 as the 02T tends to be in the lupo GTI (I think).

How can I find out what I have?

Thanks

Will

• 1 month later...

Ihad a similar problem with mine, except it decided to bounce out of 3rd unless i was harsh with it, turned out the selector fork was worn and couldnt select the gear properly. that could be one of severall reasons for it not working only a suggestion though...

Another gearbox problem.

The gearboz oil on my 1.0 was changed at a garage on friday an when I got it back it makes a "whining" noise only in 5. gear.. :confused:

All the other gears works perfectly, the car has around 60k on the clock.

Will take the car back to the garage today, any chance it is their fault?

had a new clutch and release bearing fitted only a week ago. pulled out of the petrol station today and lost 4th gear under no strain at all, limped home and the casing pissed oil everywhere.... not happy

• 2 weeks later...

I used to come on here years ago but can't remember my old log-in! I'd be grateful for any info advice on this gearbox problem....

My GTI started getting difficult to select 1st and reverse....I saw a "how-to" adjust the selector on here but came across the problem...

The forward/back action on the gearstick has loads of play as the 'hingy bit' seems to be all wobbly as though it's worn away (sorry, I'm clearly no mechanic, I hope the clip shows what I mean). The up/down bit inside this seems to be ok (left/right movement on the gearstick).

There's been no whining noises or anything else unusual and I've arranged to leave with 'Mr Clutch' on Monday. I'm hoping to be armed with some knowledge/info though as I don't want to get fleeced! I was told it would become expensive if the 'box needs taking out etc.

Mentioning the going into gear problem to my local VW dealer on its last service, they said "We don't know, yours is the only Lupo GTI we've ever seen...but we could put a new clutch in - here's a quote."

Hi,

I've got a Lupo 1.4 s the gearbox is fine but it tends to stick when coming out of 5th gear and into, say, 3rd - Should I take it to a garage and get them to change the oil or is it more serious?

thanks

alex

My Gearbox Lupo 1.7 SDI has just given up on 4th gear

all other gears select fine and drive

4th can be selected but theres no drive (just like neutral)

Is this down to the lay shaft bearings that i hear so much about

if so, I am an Engineer, is it possible for someone with a v good fitting background to repair this gearbox once removed from car,

if so where can i get best drawings/manuals

cheers todd

south wales

rarely i have a tiny bit of trouble putting it into 1st gear, it doesnt go in properly, i dont force it and i leave my hand resting it into first and as I release the clutch slowly it slips in perfectly :/ weird. any ideas on if I should wory about it or am i just being picky?

hi there, does anyone know where i can get a recon box from that is reliable? had a company called Bellwoods in kent that were a bunch of cowboys who went bust, 5 replacements that i had on warrenty !! any one had a dealing with 1st gear transmissions that have there boxes on ebay? help asap would be great cheers!!!

• 4 weeks later...

ive just bought a mk1 arosa 1.4 mpi, has a really harsh noise in full lock, sounds worse than just a cv joint, but could be. anyone come across diff problems? theres no whining or gearbox noise just full lock sounds awful and like something is tight. any ideas guys and gals?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey sorta new here, only had my lupo about 3 months - 1999 1.0 with about 96k

gears are hard to select but still selectable at the moment, gearbox is whining and theres a ticking over noise in neutral but disappears when the clutch is pressed

so that sounds like basically everything is wrong? lol

Hi,

Joy oh joy! Had some trouble with my cluth lately well my clutch?/gearbox?/pedel box? went this morning on a junction.....NO ONE helped me i had to push my little lulu off the road in my suit dress and heels lol!

Garage is picking it up at 11 today any ideas on prices?

Rachel

• 3 weeks later...

On my Arosa 1.4TDi I have a problem of changing down from 5th to 4th and from 4th to 3rd which is particularly bad. It seems as though it is not lined up. You try to change down say from 4th to 3rd and it will not let you, so go back into 4th and try again (engaging & disengaging the clutch again) and it will normally go into 3rd. Never any problems changing up, which is really smooth. No jumping out of gear or noise from box either.

Car has done 140,000 miles so I guess the syncro could be on the way out. Was thinking of changing the oil and bleeding the clutch but has anyone else got any ideas?

Thanks

Hi all I have been reading this tread with great interest. I think my wife's Arosa 16v Sport has started to develop the pinion bearing problem. There is a slight whine that seems in increase/decrease with road speed. I want to strip the box and replace the offending part before it all goes tits up. My question is can anyone tell me exactly what parts I need to replace? Any info would be greatly apprecieated.

Hi, I have just come back from Scarborough (130miles each way) & now when I put it into first its a huge struggle and have to slowly lift my foot off the clutch so it slips in and each change is very stiff. Also when im in neutural and the clutch isnt pressed down its making a funny noise then when its pressed it stops. Is this the pedal box problem?