BMC Fitting and engine cover

dazraz_uk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasnt a `step-by`-step fitting guide to the BMC posted on here a bit ago?

Also didnt someone say the BMC has been redesigned and the new kits come with a proper attachment for the oil breather so you dont need a separate little breather filter?

Allegedly, but our kits didn't come with that. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I wasn't particularly bothered before fitting it (i'm not the environment's best friend anyway!) but I kinda think I might like it now - been getting oily smells when stuck in traffic, presumably because it's no longer a closed loop.

Still nobody knows how to remove the stock air piping?

QUOTE(snoopstah)
Yeah, it's a bit loud for me too, to be honest!  Although it means that I can just vaguely hear the engine revs with the music on full blast, which is good - no longer have to keep glancing at the rev counter!

On a related note, can anyone tell me how they removed the stock air piping - all I can see is one bolt, but it's hidden underneath some piping coming from the power steering fluid reservoir!  Any tips?

Yeh all you have to do is undo the 10mm bolt which is under the piping as you describe, however its a pain in the ass to get too unless youve got little hands and a long socket extension, so all i did was use a bit of brute force and just pulled the piping till it came off the bracket i.e. ripped it sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> Not the best method but it ertainly did the trick!

yeah i am on the case with returning the crank case breather pipe back into the BMC, according to BMC UK they havent developed anything themselves but you can do it your self with some hosing and connectors, but not sure its worth it, smell seems good to me smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

as for noise its the best - 5000 - 6800 rpm slamming it up from 3rd to 4th to 5th - I am sure that sounds like a Ferrari smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(snoopstah)
I was wondering about that approach too, to be honest! Is that the only place that the piping is attached to?

Yeh thats the only fixing point, the rest of it is held in place by the hole in the wing and some rubber skirt type thing around it! if you get the bolt out all you have to do is just yank it!

I'll try and get the bolt out, but knowing my luck I'll end up with the power steering fluid pissing out everywhere! :roll: laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

that was my worry but id had enough of dropping sockets and spanners into the dark depths of the engine bay!! It does come out fairly easy once youve ripped it away from the braket, then you have enough room to get the nut out which kinda seems pointless! lol

as for noise its the best - 5000 - 6800 rpm slamming it up from 3rd to 4th to 5th - I am sure that sounds like a Ferrari

i'l go with that tim! it sounds fantastic at high revs!!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

...its definatly growing on me now

luckily for me my little cousin came round and i got him to get his hands in and grab all the spanners and sockets that had gone astray!!!

Gave him a couple of quid for his troubles.................and who said slave labour doesnt exist any more tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

hey dubdub,

did u manage to fit it then?? i thought it was dead easy other than getting the oe airbox off. i found that loosening the 7 screws and taking the air filter cover off helped. took much longer than it should have, although i didnt have the proper tool for the job.

whats you're verdict? i wasnt sure at first, but i love it now! it sounds fantastic above 5000rpm!!!

i just need to put another air feed down to the bumper, and figure a way of putting the engine shroud back on 8)