BMC Fitting and engine cover

dazraz_uk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tis alright mate im sure itll be worth the wait and it wasnt exactly your fault was it!!

Yeh the polo one does go back on but like you say it has the handy cutout bit.

Im just off to start fitting it now so ill let you know if it does go back on :?

nope wouldnt fit back on but im sure with a bit of force it might just fit!

Anyone got any ideas on how to remove the standard air pipe which goes into the front wing? I know theres a 10mm bolt holding a bracket on but is that all?

so whats the verdict with it then daraz!??

can't fit mine just yet - which is bloody killing me! coz ive got a bit waranty work to be done on wednesday... :x

how long did it take get the oe stuff off and to fit the bmc?

well all in all it took about an hour or so, the main problems i encountered were trying to remove the two alan bolts holding the oe airbox on!

It sounds awesome now but coz im having problems getting th eoriginal piping out of the car and `re-routing` the cold air feed i dont think its up to top form yet!

Anyone got any advice on the best place to get a direct cold feed from?

well... you can put it into the wing like you are trying to do but the issue is thats very restricted and small.

if you feed it down to the lower mesh grille then you will probably need 60mm hosing, and thus a 70mm to 60mm reducer. Then its a case of gently does it to get it down to the grille. I had a good look and with some time and care should be fairly easy.

fitting mine tonight smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

any chance you could take some pics whilst your fitting could you, so i know ive done mine correctly and also how and where you place the new feed?

Cheers! Also wheres a good place to get the 60mm piping/and reducer?

I thought you were bitching about how crap it sounded last night! Thought you might change your tune when you put some load on the engine :wink:

`Power-wise`, I'm seeing about a 3bhp increase, which isn't bad considering it barely has an airfeed at the moment, never mind a cold one!

Does yours seem to kick in at a certain throttle position? I can modulate the 'brum' noise by just moving my foot millimeters on the throttle at about `half-open`.

jus finished fitting the cold air feed to the front right hand side of the engine! what an absolute pain in the ass it was to do, but now after about another hour and half of cuts and bruises trying to get the fecker to fit its done and dusted, cant wait to go give it a spin now!

Managed to get the engine cover back on as well but there are two securing points missing which as payna said are on the oe airbox so it kinda flaps a bit.

just fitted mine,

it wasnt really too hard to do just that alan bolt on the airbox, (i think we all know which one iam talking about!)

i think its gonna take me time to get used to it, it seems SO loud! its got a great sound at high revs, but at lower revs i think it sounds too loud IMO :roll:

otherwise iam happy though, ded easy to fit and change in performance is impressive too. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

tryed cover to but it does flap around a bit at the back end. just using the original air feed, for now but whe ive got a bit more time all get it down to the mesh.

andrew

Yeah, it's a bit loud for me too, to be honest! Although it means that I can just vaguely hear the engine revs with the music on full blast, which is good - no longer have to keep glancing at the rev counter!

On a related note, can anyone tell me how they removed the stock air piping - all I can see is one bolt, but it's hidden underneath some piping coming from the power steering fluid reservoir! Any tips?

hmm...

i know mine gets VERY loud at around 3000, but then it seems to get a bit quieter - not much, but a bit. enough to notice how loud it is at around 3000 though!

it sounds the dogs past 5000 revs in 5th i reckon, you can distinctly hear it sucking the air in!!! haha biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />