BMC Fitting and engine cover

dazraz_uk

ive been reading your posts, and sorry to hijack it but i have a sports and was looking the other day at routing some ducting for a future airfilter and cant see anywhere to put it, can any one shed any light on it for me

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best way to do it is to use Samco in the main engine bay compartment and then use flexible ducting down through the inner wing. The heat in the wing is quite low so wouldn't require the samco but the under bonnet area would. Thats the `set-up` l've got and l'm very pleased although for rolling road l found that just having the ducting as in my pictures in readers rides produced the best result. As for the sport, l'd ask someone like `B-Real` as l think that unlike the Gti the sport (VW and Seat) radiator does not stretch the complete way across the front and you can cut a hole in the black plastic guard at the front next to the rad (On the left as you look at the car from head on). I think ths is correct? Can anyone confirm?

I tried to find someone onlince but could only find places that supplied the hose kits and not the custom lengths and bends l needed. I ended up using Demon Tweeks and even then Samco had an 8 week back log!

Chris

just put my bmc back on this morning after being in the garage for warranty work, so i put the extra airfeed hose down to the lower grill in the bumper....

first of all it sounds LOADS better! its not as noisy as it was when just attatched to the standard airfeed, it sounds brilliant and worth doing it for that alone wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

secondly, i would hazard a guess that its got an increase in performance over being attatched to the standard airfeed, but iam not 100% sure because i just put it on straight after getting the oe airbox off.

so, its well worth doing if you are'nt gonna throw too much hard earned cash at it imo. - i just used the cheepo heater hosing from halfords which cost about 8 quid for 2 lengths of 60mm diameter, the durabillaty of it will probably be crap, but for the minute iam well pleased!

andrew

has anyone maneged to get the engine cover back on securely yet?

tried with mine, but took it off cos it was rubbing against the intake hosing, and i dont really want to put a hole in that!

also, i dunno if anyone else has checked their hosing, but when i took mine off i noticed that it had been rubbing against a fill up bottle at the back of the engine bay (dunno what it is) beside the breather filter. it had only been on a week, and it was pretty close to being worn right through.

just thought id tell you all :wink:

andrew