Hello, I've bought a Fox

Redfox

and I stumbled on this site while searching for reviews etc. I just went for the basic 1.2 (with the colour kit, though). Hope it's alright! I pick it up on Thursday. Traded in my '01 Fiesta 1.3. I'm not into upgrading cars or anything like that, I'm afraid, just a "square" looking for a cheap car that would be cheap to run.

Mind if I fire in a couple of questions?

1) The radio aerial on the Fox. Is it integrated in the windscreen, or is on the back of the roof? I've seen pictures of both, and I didn't even notice where it is when I was in the showroom.

2) Is the handling any good? This one just has the standard steel wheels, with 185/60 R14 tyres. Since I completed the deal, I've found a few reviews that suggest it doesn't go round corners very well! Is this just at higher speeds, or are we talking 40 mph or whatever? This has got me a bit worried. I didn't really try it out properly in the brief test drive I had, more fool me.

Still, £5995 otr, with 3 years servicing, and a few other extras thrown in................. That sounds alright, anyway.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I've bought a Fox

That sounds more like a confession! :lol:

I think the areil is in the windscreen or somewhere yes, i dont think its on the roof.

The handling isnt too bad i dont think (we had one as a loan car, although i didnt drive it), it did go round corners, although going from a fiesta to a fox might make its handling look a little bad, as fiestas are generally quite good handling, grippy cars. You could always invest in some better tyres when they need to be replaces, as iirc they come standard with kumhos.

Sounds like a really good deal!

Thanks for the speedy reply, cardaft.

Yeah,, the Fiesta handles well. Are these Fox tyres not much good, then? The only real issue I had on the etst drive was the fact that I couldn't see the bonnet from the driver's seat (I can on the Fiesta), which might make parking a bit tricky. Hope I can get used to it. Hope I haven't just made a huge mistake! :(

No way I'd ever pay for alloy wheels as an extra, btw. I've yet to own a car with them fitted, and I've heard a few horror stories of winter road salt corroding them, and they're expensive.

Thanks for the speedy reply, cardaft.

Yeah,, the Fiesta handles well. Are these Fox tyres not much good, then? The only real issue I had on the etst drive was the fact that I couldn't see the bonnet from the driver's seat (I can on the Fiesta), which might make parking a bit tricky. Hope I can get used to it. Hope I haven't just made a huge mistake! :(

No way I'd ever pay for alloy wheels as an extra, btw. I've yet to own a car with them fitted, and I've heard a few horror stories of winter road salt corroding them, and they're expensive.

Well i thought they made a lot of road noise, but not all foxes get them, i guess it depends which tyres they have in at the time of production.

As i say i havent driven one so i carnt comment on the grip, but it did seem to corner quite nicely as a passenger.

You do soon get used to not seeing the bonnet though, most modern cars have a really slopy bonnet so you carnt see it when parking, arosas are no different, however lupos are a little easier with their buldges for the headlights in the bonnet.

Its just a matter of getting to know where the end is, its quite a short front really, i had no problem parking the one we had for a courtesy car, and having 8 cars makes parking tight!

I know what you mean about alloys though, i do like alloys as they look better, but on a car thats more for use than show steels are better, especially on city cars, curbing is inevitable at times and a curbed alloy looks awful - when you can just replace the trim really easy and cheaply.

The do corrode yes, you need to keep them washed, i find, or they turn yellow from the brake dust.

I dont think you have made a mistake, just think what else you could have bought - C1, Picanto - infact, there arnt many new cars for around £6000, so makes it the perfect choice really.

A Volkswagen has to be an improvement on a Ford.

If you get yourself off to a larger branch of WH Smiths look for the current issue of Volkswagen Driver magazine. They have road tested a Fox, albiet the 1.4, it should give you a few pointers. They were quite impressed.

Don't forget to read the model profile of the Lupo tdi in the same mag.

You just have pre-wedding jitters, once you get the car you will love it :)

You're probably right! I've had two Fiestas over a period of ten years, and the idea of a bargain price VW (I'm 38, btw, and before I learned to drive I always wanted a VW Beetle!) appealed, then this cut price deal suddenly appeared at my local dealer. It's the fear of change. Must stress that I don't need a fast car. I only do about 5500 miles a year, and I hardly ever get above 65 mph. Seem to spend a lot of time tootling along at about 35 to 40, or stuck in an a traffic jam in a carpark.

I won't be "thrashing" the Fox for a while, anyway. I'm not supposed to exceed 4000 RPM in the lower gears for the first 1000 miles, to allow the engine to run in properly. It's certainly different. The Fiesta is much lower, has skinnier tyres (165/70 R13, IIRC), and it'll be a relief not to ahve to keep wrapping the spare wheel up in new refuse sacks every few weeks, lol (it's in a cradle, underneath the Fiesta, and it rusts in there. Bad idea!). And I'm rambling on..........

Tell you a couple of things I really like about the Fox, mind......... The space and comfort. I'm tall, and I suffered a lower back injury last year. I love the seats in it. They actually do seem to offer some lumbar support. I like the dark interior, too. I hate light coloured interiors on cars. They're a pain to keep clean. Thatt new FIAT 500's interior must be a nightmare in the winter.

As for the styling, I still dunno. Sometimes I think the Fox looks like a miniature old-style Golf (which is cool enough), other times I think it doesn't quite look right. Looks like that woman off the Tom and Jerry cartoons, lifting her skirts from fear of a mouse, if you see what I mean.

Jeez, I need to get some kip.

Btw, final. Shmae VW couldn't have got the CO2 rating sown to the 35 quid bracket. that would have been great.

Cardaft. I did check out the Citroen C1. I went to look at the C1 Rhythm (I will never again buy a car that does not have side rubbing strips fitted, after a horrible incident some years ago, so the Vibe was never an option), but I didn't like the look of it much (it doesn't have a boot!), and the cramped dealer's forecourt put me off buying a car there anyway.

I also looked at a Mitsubishi Colt CZ1, which I quite liked, but the salesman was awful. He got his figures all mixed up, and then kept phoning up trying to lure me back. I don't like that.

I would never have bought a Kia Picanto. I did briefly consider a Hyundai Getz, but rejected it for no real reason. Could have gotten another Fiesta, of course, but I fancied a change.

Lupostadt. I'll have alook at this magazine you mention (I'll browse it in the shop, anyway!). I've read a few reviews online, which have been rather mixed. Don't know what to believe, really. Sometimes I get the impression that some road testers expect these cheap motors to behave like Formaula One cars.

For example:-

A Volkswagen has to be an improvement on a Ford.

If you get yourself off to a larger branch of WH Smiths look for the current issue of Volkswagen Driver magazine. They have road tested a Fox, albiet the 1.4, it should give you a few pointers. They were quite impressed.

Don't forget to read the model profile of the Lupo tdi in the same mag.

That was last months issue unfortunately, ive got it here, it does get a good write up, and mentions the 1.2 that they seemed to like too.

Yes i agree, its a VW so ought to be reliable, you have the 3 years servicing pack so thats covered. I am impressed with the ammount of space in the fox, its a much bigger car than the lupo/arosa.

I had a 107 (same as C1) courtesy car for a week a few years ago, i hated it, i did like them until i drove it, if i ever have to drive one again it will be too soon. Noisey, bumpy, unrefined, cheap quality, did i say noisey! SO much road noise imsure it couldnt have been any louder if id have had the tyres removed!

Awful thing, thats one car thats cheap (even though they arnt that cheap!) for a reason. Things like the fronts seats dont have memory so when you let someone in the back the seat goes to the most upright position so its got to be adjusted every time.

Fiestas are okl, but quite precy really, unless they have a really good deal on them. They do drive nicely thoguh, ive only driven the latest one but it really did cling on nicely.

For example:-

I do like that test though :D Wouldnt mind a go myself, not so bad when its someone elses tyres :lol:

Well, I won't be driving like that! I'm on about negotiating roundabouts, and making turns, not racetracks. Actually, I think I've answered my own question with that video. If he can chuck that car around like that without it falling over, it can't be all that bad on the open road.

I never actually drove the C1. I only chose to look at that one because it was cheaper than the 107 and Aygo, but it wasn't to be.

Seen the football match?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiBXzMXLeaQ...feature=related

Tornado red car at the start, same as the one I'm getting.

Thats a great vid, id also love to do that!

I was at MPH06 year when topgear were doing that live in the arena with the foxes. Got really bashed about but they did hold up very well indeed. Unlike the swifts of last year!

Hehe, for years I'd dismissed Top Gear as a daft, irrelevant waste of time. I used to say they never have any ordinary cars on any more, just supercars that I'll never get to drive. Clips like that, though, have induced me to start watching repeat programmes on Dave, and I love it.

"I'm not into upgrading cars or anything like that, I'm afraid, just a "square" looking for a cheap car that would be cheap to run."

ive heard that one before! give it a few months (especially after spending time on forums like this one) and your Fox will be wearing BBS splits, flared arches, coils, leather trim, smooth bodywork.... trust me!

ps - welcome by the way!

Welcome!

"I'm not into upgrading cars or anything like that, I'm afraid, just a "square" looking for a cheap car that would be cheap to run."

ive heard that one before! give it a few months (especially after spending time on forums like this one) and your Fox will be wearing BBS splits, flared arches, coils, leather trim, smooth bodywork.... trust me!

ps - welcome by the way!

Listen to what the man says.

I bought a 1.0 Arosa as a run around. Missed the CD player and came on here to ask if a SEAT Ibiza one was a straight connection...

The Fox does have a lot of wheel arch space, so a set of lowering springs, or even better; coilovers, would do a lot for the looks, not to mention the handling.

Ray

Hahaha, no, I'm really not into modifying cars at all. This Fox will stay in it's standard specifiication for the duration of my ownership. All I'm fitting are my funky red seat covers from my also red Fiesta, and my auld piece of carpet can go in the boot (this carpet has seen service in every car I've owned, over 18 years!)

Maybe the next owner will hack it up a bit? Do you not have to pay much larger insurance premiums if you change the original spec., anyway? The insurance for this car is only £207, fully comp./protected no claims/legal cover, and I want to keep it like that!

All it will get off me is routine maintainence (ie A wash/hoover/tyre pressure check/screen wash top-up every 2 weeks or so)

So, .........

Insurance £207 per annum

Road tax £120 (I think, shame it isn't £35) per annum

No MOT for 3 years

No service bill for 4 years

MPG? 40+? Reasonable expectation?

Tyres should last 3 years, given the low mileage I do

Exhaust?

Now I just have to get used to driving it, and settle down to steady ownership.

Less than 24 hours to collection as I type this........................

I will post on here from time to time, setting out the joys/agonies of Fox ownership. It would be good if other "square" Fox owners also posted on here, so we can compare notes.

Btw, do you realise that this is actually the first car I've owned with a CD player? Luxury indeed!

Edited by Redfox

Haha, ive been a member on here for about 2 years (carnt remember when i joined!) and ive still got two standard arosas.

Although i have done the usual little mods that makes living with them nicer (mudflaps, mats, boot liners, lupo sport gearknob, aero wipers all round).

3 years for tyres! I wish, maybe a year for me :lol:

i would think you should get about 45MPG+, sounds reasonable to me.

Exhaust should last about 5 years at a guess.

I hope you enjoy it when you get it tomorrow :)

I hope you have some CDs for your new luxury ;)

Edited by cardaft

Mud flaps........... I did think of this, and mentioned it to the dealer hwen I was reviewing my options. He reckoned almost no-one gets them fitted any more, and sort of gently talked me out of buying them. Of course, I could get them fitted at the dealership any time. A couple of things..........

1) Does fitting mud flaps require holes to be drilled in the car?

2) Are they likely to scratch the paintwork around the wheel arches?

I remember my dad mentioning how one of the mud flaps fitted to his car was actually torn off completely when driving over snow. I think that was on his Maestro diesel, many m,oons ago, but that doesn't sound too healthy. If it stops the tar and chippings, though............

Well i always have mudflaps fitted to my cars, maybe im getting old before my time though :lol: But every car we have has mudflaps fitted.

In my opinion though they make the car look better, help with keeping it cleaner for longer and helps reduce the number of stone chips and tar.

So id get them fitted yes.

1) Usually no, they either clap on, or screw into existing holes used to hold on the wheel arch trim. So very easy to fit.

2) No they shouldnt scratch, they are rubber and once in place wont move.

They can get torn off but unless you reverse up high curbs they will be fine, ive cought mine a couple of times but they are still fine.

I can understand the dealer talking you out of them, basically because he was probably expecting you to want them thrown in with the deal, so its better for him if you didnt! :lol:

Cheers again.

The Fox flaps are on here

http://www.pulmanvolkswagen.co.uk/shops/accessories.html

That must be cost price. The front ones are actually £45 fitted. I never asked about the rear ones, but I assume they'd cost the same to be fitted. So, £90 all in, £52 DIY (nah!). I'll mull it over, and I can always book it in some time soon.

What about drag, though. They must knock off a couple of MPG? I guess that's the trade-off?

£52 is quite a lot, although i would fit them youself. Im sure you can haggle with you rlocal dealer, they often have a big mark up ;)

As for MPG, i dont think they make any difference, not that you would notice anyway. They dont stick out from the bodywork much so should cause much extra drag.

You might get away with not taking off the wheels, the fronts will be ok since you can turn the wheels on full lock to gain access. Why not just get the fronts if you not keen?

No i mean haggle with the parts department on the price of the mudflaps. THey will often give you atleast a 10% discount just by asking.

Now taken delivery of siad Fox. Dramatic introduction to car, as the salesman whipped a cover off it in the showroom. I'd already mentioned the fact that I hadn't seen the car on the way in, lol.

Took it to the nearby Sainsbury's carpark to get used to it's handling at low speed, and the view from the driver's seat was almost alien at that point. A few Corsa/XR3 tyre burning idiots turned up so I got out of there and headed for home. Noticed that the glove box is so small as to be useless (yes, I know about the box under the seat!), the gearchange is superb, it hates speed bumps with a passion, and that the pillars restrict the view a bit. Then I headed for home (about 15 miles)........

Once on the open road things improved. Very good acceleration, engine is much quieter than my old Fiesta's, but the wind was very strong tonight so I'll hang fire on it's stability until it's calmer. Intrusive tyre noise on most surfaces, quite irritating. Hope that dies down a bit as the tyres wear a bit (it does have Kumho tyres, btw). Enjoyed the drive home, anyway. Performs well on roads such as these, with speeds between 40 and 65 mph. Possible problem with the rev counter, though. I'll have a better look tomorrow, but I don't think it moved above 2000 RPM! Could well be stuck.

Got home, noticed that the tailgate lower left and right edges have different sized gaps from the tail. The tailgate metal edges are far from a snug fit. You have to look closely to notice, but the Fox cars in the brochure I have show a snug fitting tailgate. If it doesn't leak, it might not matter so much and I could possibly just forget about it, but if it does leak................

So, a bit of a mixed initial report there. Definitely good to drive, though, which was my major concern. This tyre noise, the rev counter, and the tailgate, are all giving me cause for concern, though. VW quality not in evidence?

PS It does go round corners alright!

Edited by Redfox

Sounds like your liking it then :)

The engine will free up quite a bit once you have run it in, so it should just get nippier!

Thats the main thing i noticed about the fox - the tyre noise. Its a shame really, but in 3 years time you may opt for a different brand! Unfortunately i think as they become more worn they get louder, hopefully not though.

I would have thought it would have had a quick test drive by the dealer, they should have picked up on the rev counter ...

Tailgate sounds a little odd, i doubt it would leak but if it is noticable then id take it back and ask if it could be adjusted.

Unfortunately people who say VW quality is one of the best obviously dont own VW brand cas :lol: