A new project...'The Smartie'

stealthie

Did you not see the caddy in the back ground of one of the above pictures dude? They are going on that ;)

We have painted the engine bay and the engine is nearly ready to go in but Dad has been away for a few months so it has ground to a halt and Im cracking on with the Lupo.

I wish it was finished already, it's taking bloomin ages :( But at the same time I dont want to rush the body work.

Once that is all done then it will move along a lot faster! The mechanics are the easy bit :lol:

I'll be flatting and polishing the roof on Sunday so there will hopefully be some mirror image reflection photos going on B)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so now we have the roof painted and the body in primer along with the rear hatch....pictures >>>>>

LupoProj-223.jpg

LupoProj-224.jpg

LupoProj-233.jpg

Orange roof.... this is such a hard colour to take pictures of, it looks a lot darker then it is inside and looks a completely different colour outside. The roof still needs polishing too.

LupoProj-229.jpg

LupoProj-230.jpg

LupoProj-231.jpg

LupoProj-225.jpg

LupoProj-226.jpg

LupoProj-227.jpg

LupoProj-228.jpg

So thats the roof, now on to the body in primer, a nice dark one so we get a nice smooth colour that is the same all over the body after all the work that was needed to get it dent free and back to tip top shape.

LupoProj-235.jpg

LupoProj-237.jpg

LupoProj-238.jpg

LupoProj-239.jpg

LupoProj-240.jpg

LupoProj-241.jpg

LupoProj-242.jpg

LupoProj-243.jpg

LupoProj-244.jpg

LupoProj-245.jpg

LupoProj-246.jpg

LupoProj-247.jpg

So there you go thats the body work that has been done over the last few weeks, Chris has also been working on my wheels, which I will upload pictures of in a minuet and post up today.

I also have some pictures of Chris's Audi A3 to post.... B)

Here we go then, Chris's (my paint and body work guru) Audi A3 1.8 20vt quattro.

He has spent hours and hours and more than I know of on building this car up, he is registered on here but cant upload pictures, Im sure he will come on here and list the spec out

for those interested. I forget the in's and out's of the engine work (even though I supplied most of the parts to him :wacko: ) but he has done a full engine re build, GT2871RS turbo(?),

up-rated pistons, rods,gas flowed, full stainless exhaust and down pipe with high flow cat (has a de cat pipe too), big front brake conversion etc etc

As I said, he will probably come on here and list the correct and full spec. At the moment it is running a stage 3 revo re map but we are looking in to upgrading the set up next year and running a different mapping system.

Heres a few pics but excuse the dirt as it has not been washed for a bit due to me getting him to paint my car ! - Sorry dude! :blush:

ChrisA3Q-03-03.jpg

ChrisA3Q-02-02.jpg

ChrisA3Q-04-04.jpg

ChrisA3Q-01-01.jpg

ChrisA3Q-05-05.jpg

ChrisA3Q-07-07.jpg

ChrisA3Q-06.jpg

ChrisA3Q-08.jpg

ChrisA3Q-09.jpg

All body work was done by Chris including the front bumper which was made from two different bumpers, the bonnet vents were pressed in by a company he uses and a few of the engine parts like the chroma-flair inlet manifold and rocker cover were painted by himself too.

We will probably take some more pictures at some point when it is clean and give it its own thread.

:)

Edited by stealthie

Wheels!

Before:

LupoProj-265.jpg

LupoProj-266.jpg

During: (They may go to this kind of scheme as we thought they might look good with brown body colour where the white is but I originally wanted them all orange so Im going to decide once the body is painted and I have seen them with the car.....then they might change!)

LupoProj-263.jpg

LupoProj-264.jpg

And after:

LupoProj-262.jpg

LupoProj-248.jpg

Photobucket decided to add the big orange section at the bottom of this picture, I uploaded it three times and it did it each one!? :blink:

LupoProj-250.jpg

LupoProj-251.jpg

LupoProj-252.jpg

LupoProj-253.jpg

LupoProj-254.jpg

LupoProj-255.jpg

LupoProj-256.jpg

LupoProj-257.jpg

LupoProj-258.jpg

LupoProj-259.jpg

And a couple more of the roof:

LupoProj-267.jpg

LupoProj-270.jpg

LupoProj-272.jpg

LupoProj-271.jpg

Next update in a week or so! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Same here dude! I am going to get it on the road this year and now I have woken up from the winter cold I will be working on it again.

We still need to wait for some warmer weather to finish the paint off (im soooo looking forward to getting the body colour on the outside of the car!)

So I am going to start flatting and polishing the roof and then move on to the cleaning and painting of the engine and all the hubs etc until it's time for paint ;)

Just uploaded a few more pictures from my project album so thought I'd share with you guys as I haven't done anything for a while :(

Bumpers, grille surround, fuel flap, handles etc stripped and prepped ready for paint. Since then I have brought a new pair of mirror covers as I realised the clips on these were broken.

SL371428.jpg

SL371429.jpg

The bonnet needed quiet a bit of work on it as I got a bit carried away with the welding and let it get a bit too hot so after a while of metal fettling and some filler skimming work my body work man Chris saved the day.

SL371474.jpg

A shot of the body in dry primer, gives a bit of an idea of what the colour scheme will look like (although the primer is black not brown)

SL371476.jpg

So here are the pictures of the start of the roof polishing process. the first is a wet sand with 2000 grit, the second is a soft 2000 pad then the third is a 3000 (I think!?) soft pad on the DA then the fourth is a 4000 (again I think!?) on the DA. after that it will be gone over with the first polish on the DA and then an anti hologram polish on the DA and then the final 'Rose' polish (it's pink and smells nice :lol: ) That lot will result in a spotlessly smooth mirror finish.

I have got as far as the 2000 wet sand and the soft pad. This Friday should hopefully see me doing at least the first DA pad.... if all goes to plan which it hasn't for the past few months.

SL371463.jpg

SL371464.jpg

SL371466.jpg

On this one you can see the section that has been rubbed back with the 2000.. it's only a small roof but it took a lot of effort to do the whole thing!

SL371465.jpg

SL371477.jpg

SL371478.jpg

And on these you can see how the majority of it is 'flat' - nearly there!

SL371479.jpg

SL371481.jpg

SL371480.jpg

SL371482.jpg

SL371483.jpg

Oh and we had an open day at work on Halloween and our tyre guy (Alabama Andy) had brought a few different sizes with him that I had a look through, we tried a 165/50 tyre on one of my wheels to see what it looked like..... we decided it gave the right kind of look I wanted which was a lowish profile and no bulging over the rim but at the same time not much stretch... not much to ask for eh? So my man Andy fitted one on the other side and balanced them up for me - top bloke and always there when I need him! Cheers dude.

He is a mobile tyre fitter in theBexley Heath / Erith / Dartford etc area so if anyone needs the number of a tyre fitter who can come to your work or home and appreciates how important the rim of your wheel is then pm me for his number.

Anyway heres a couple of pictures of the front wheels, the tyre size for the rear is yet to be decided, I want a wider tyre for the back end and the funds haven't allowed for the rear tyre purchase yet :(

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

Thats it for now, more updates soon...if I make it to the workshop! I promise to get to the fun mechanical bits soon - hub painting, subframe fitting etc! :lol:

Comments as always are welcome guys and girls :D

Cheers Rich, they wont be on all the time as I will be getting a set of winter/Girlfriend wheels for it too so that these ones stay nice ;)

NFBR indeed....Orange for the win! :thumbup:

Girlfriend wheels! :lol:

Yep, thats what Im calling them..... just need to find them!

She will be driving it and she agrees that it would be better with a different set of wheels incase of curbage... hence the need for Girlfriend wheels :D

I reckon that Girlfriend wheels will be good as winter wheels too don't you? :lol:

the Mini phonedials look cool.

Brown and orange is going to be so 70's

awesome

Yep and you wait till you see the seats Jowey, brown vinyl and tweed all the way B) They are all done and wrapped up in bubble wrap at the moment.... I only had a quick look at them myself and then have them safely stored at work! The 'retro' request to the trimmers was well and truely represented in their work ;)

Cheers for the coments people, they help with getting the enthusiasm back into my cold bones! The workshop is freezing at the moment :( keep watching for the next update!

So today all went wrong and I only got the first DA sanding done when I wanted to get both grades done.

I was happily working on the roof (after sitting in traffic for 3 hours) when the DA ran out of air.... confused I went to the compressor to see why it had emptied and not filled back up. After lots of investigation it turned out that the switch on the compressor had decided to melt :angry::(

Fixed that and then went to start on the roof again but the DA didnt work anymore!? so I tried some other air tools to see if it was a pressure thing and they were all fine.... the DA is getting air but no longer works! I have no clue how it can work, be left for an hour and then not work at all, especially as it is powered by air!?

So out comes the old DA, cleaned it up and off we go again, got that done and was time to go home and sit in more traffic on the way. Rubbish day so I hope that Sunday is more productive.

I took a few more pictures of the Lupo but they dont look any different to the last lot.... So here you go Little green giant as you requested:

SL371571.jpg

SL371572.jpg

SL371573.jpg

SL371574.jpg

More updates on Monday night I expect :)