A new project...'The Smartie'

stealthie

Right, I have a Mk1 Caddy (although this thread is no longer anything to do with my Caddy, it's all Lupo!!) :

Caddy2.jpg

And came across the chance to get a written off Lupo Tdi for a very good price. It has a re mapped ecu runing 110bhp with 190lb torque. The plan is to put the engine, gearbox, dash and anything else I can fit in to the Caddy.

This will be a long project and updates will be slow but I will post the details as I go along, Oh and my dad is helping too!

The Donor Tdi:

Tdi-03.jpg

Tdi-01.jpg

Skip forward a page though and you will see that the caddy went a different route and this thread is full on Lupo content !!!!! :lol:

:)

Edited by stealthie

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha Ha! Cheers guys, today I went to our workshop and cleared out the space for the Lupo. I also put the towing dolly in the back of the Caddy to take it to the Lupo so I can tow it back to the workshop one night this week.

Did that make sense? :confused:

Mr Pea, you will not be stealing my Caddy thank you very much :P

Saw this on the Caddy forum.

£150? You're a right jammy lovely person, aren't you?

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Just know the right people ;) I didnt even look for it, it came to me via a phone call :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Finished yet? ? ? :roflmao:

No mate, it's not even started yet :(

I have got the Lupo at my workshop now after a nightmare picking it up - The lupo has been sitting on a driveway for a year and was blocked in by a wall of rubble and two cars. It had a front wheel missing as well, so after taking the caliper off (because the wheel we had was too small to fit over it) we got it rolling.... well kind of. it was stuck in by a pile of rocks and a car that was not going to move behind it.

In comes our tow vehicle:

Offroad-01.jpg

We hooked up a tow rope and dragged the Lupo out sideways!

Finally we were on our merry way up the M25 in the pouring rain hardly being able to see where we were going. We got to the workshop, pulled up outside, un strapped the Lupo and started to roll it off the towing dolly..... only to find my mates dad had taken the keys out of the ignition and now we were stuck with the Lupo half off the ramp with its wheels pointing in the wrong direction and the steering lock on :huh:

So in comes an engine crane.... we lifted the front off the ground and spent about an hour pushing and pulling the Lupo with the front swinging about in the air into the workshop, and thats how it sits now.

I wont be starting the work on it until May as this is to be a 'father son' project and my dad does not get back from Florida until May 15th (lucky git)

• 4 months later...

Update :D

This engine is no longer going in the Caddy - Boo! - basicly we now have other plans for the Caddy :shades:

Instead I have decided I want another Lupo to run around in as the Mk2 Gti I am rocking at the moment is starting to get a bit juicy when I know I could have a diesel. So even though I love my ratty Mk2 it has got to go :(

So I have got myself a £1000 '99 Lupo S and today I shall start work on stripping the Tdi with the view to making myself a new road worthy Tdi. I have always said that there is no point in making a car you can buy BUT seeing as I will have a Lupo Tdi at the end of it for £1150 then I cant see why I shouldnt !!

So tonight I will post up pictures aplenty of both Lupos (may get confusing as they are both yellow)

The plan is to do all the mods I want during the build up so the finished car will be exactly as I want and it will not be standard.

Anyway Im off to the workshop to begin :)

Yes my Little Green friend I have another Lupo, this one is mine all mine and I intend to make it something special ;)

Anyway, heres a few pictures of the work so far.

LupoProj-01.jpg

LupoProj-02.jpg

LupoProj-03.jpg

This is the 1.4s that will be the finished car with the new engine etc:

LupoProj-04.jpg

LupoProj-05.jpg

LupoProj-08.jpg

LupoProj-10.jpg

I have been looking at the air box on the Tdi and have decided this will have to undergo some modification as it seems quiet restrictive, plans are to junk most of the original box system and have a cold air intake. I have something in mind but this will be reveled in time....

LupoProj-06.jpg

LupoProj-07.jpg

More to come as soon as I get back up the workshop :D