oil and fuel filter change

righto being a total skinto student and not really wanting to pay over £120 for an oil change and fuel filter change ive decided to take the plunge and go for it myself . a few questions though

- what grade oil?

-how much oil?

- how the hell do you get the oil system not to air lock when you turn it on ( ive heard the easiest way is to fill the oil filter up with oil before you put it on and then once you have filled the oil back up , go to start the car but before it catches stop it so the oil system has primed do that a few times etc to get it round the system )

- where is the fuel filter located ?

Your 1.8T'ing your car and you cant change an oil filter or fuel filter?? geeez

Fuel filters in the rear drivers side Wheel well. Well it is in the lupo anyhow.

Dont think you can air lock the oil system in these cars, due to the design of the pump vanes. And it will be pretty hard to fill a filter that sits on its side!

The stuff VW use is good oil, quantum synta gold. Good price direct from them too.

Think the Capacity is about 3.2 litres, remember to let it drain for a while etc etc.....

Just fill it up to half full on the dipstick, run it for 10-15 secs, then check it again and fill up to just under full.

John

I've always just got my dad to help me - lift front of car on ramps, drain oil, remove filter, replace filter, fill with oil, run, let sit, check level, top up if needed :)

I tend to get a 5l bottle as it will give you a full change, plus extra for top ups (needed for my old boy) ;)

Edited by lunalupi

remove front bumper , lift front of car on ramps, drain oil, remove filter, replace filter, fill with oil, run, let sit, check level, top up if needed :) replace front bumper

not corrected for my car as to get it on a set of ramps i need to take the bumper off or it would hit the ramps :lol:

It should hold 3.4 litres including the filter full with oil.

Its the easiest model to service, so you should be ok.

Grade i think you want 10-40w.

I wouldnt worry about having an air lock, i think it will sort it out itself.

Although i always fill the filter with oil before i put it on, so thats a good idea.

Fuel filter is quite easy although the clips can be fiddly to get off.

I dont suppose you can get jacks under the car can you? It might be an idea to jack up both sides if you can and then place the ramps under the front wheels and lower it onto the ramps. Then its nice and secure so wont fall on you and saves removing the bumper.

Shout if you need any other help with it :)

Hi. im attempting this on saturday. for my 1.4 S Lupo i got these from VW.

Synta 5L Oil (ZGB115QLB00406) £18.60+Vat

Plug (N90813202) was (N90813201) £1.08+Vat

Filter (030115561AB) £4.00+Vat

Total £27.82

Also Got (Engine Flush, Fuel Cleaner)Ebay £12.00Delivered & Top End Oil Treatment to Complete the Process for £15.00Ebay Delivered.

Edited by Lupo*

okdokay heres an update

the fuel filter was £5 from euro carparts , piece of piss to change . jack the rear drivers side of the car up , take the wheel off , and you will see the tin can that is the fuel filter , its a squeeze fit clip on it . now the new replacement filter i got had some new style clip on it that didnt marry up with the exsisting filter so i took it off and it fitted perfectly . the filter is held onto the underside of the car via a X head screw undo that and the filter unhooks from the car . now i will warn you have a tray down cause the second you disconnect the filter petrol will start pishing out the hoses . when fitting the new filter make sure you put it in the right way round :lol: as i said , just push the tabs in on the hose and it pulls off and push on the new filter and then rescrew it back in . job done . as Chris Cardaft said the clips can be a right barsteward but stay calm and it will come undone .

i decided to carry out a full service on the car

- Some Posh Castrol 10W40 4L bottle of Oil - £25

- Oil filter - £3.99

- Platinum NKG Spark plugs - £37

- Fuel filter £5.78

- Sump Plug - £1.08

- Air Filter £12.00

ive changed all the plugs today , cylinder 2 and 4 were very worn , 1 and 3 werent to bad ... also done the air filter and fuel filters today , ran out of time to do the oil so thats tomorows job , might do the pollen filter if i can be bothered as well for the interior blower

If it didn't have a stupid under tray I could service the car myself like I did with my Polo Coupe. But because of the undertray I have to take it to a mates garage so we can get the car up on the ramp to change the oil. Everything else I can do though.

Plus I live on a main road so its kind of illegal to work on the car. :wacko:

You got ripped off on your Oil. I paid £16 for Castrol GTX 10W-40 semi-synthetic. Just as good as Quantum Synta Silva IMO and its recommended by VAG if you can't find Quantum. £25 is near the price of Fully synthetic Synta Gold 5W-40 - £32.

If your going to spend that much on oil next time spend that extra fiver.

-N-

Edited by Niche

well some how i managed to get 54.3mpg out of it today .... and that was a good mix of driving as well , brimmed the tank up , went for a run , brimmed the tank up again at the same petrol station at the same pump and thats what i got over 100miles . it does generally feel alot smoother somehow , the idle isnt as rough which must of been to do with the heavily worn plugs of cylinders 2 and 4 ..

No. 10W = semi

5W = fully.

-N-

You either bought Castrol GTX or Castrol Magnatec? They are different oils...

...and to be pedantic: Magnatec 10w is Part Synthetic. :blush:

The one question I have with Magnatec is: If it is magnetic, how do you get it to drain from the engine? :huh:

Jeez Craig, I thought you were further on than this. Did you smear oil around the rubber facing seal on the oil filter? Makes it lot easier to remove next time.

Jeez Craig, I thought you were further on than this. Did you smear oil around the rubber facing seal on the oil filter? Makes it lot easier to remove next time.

yup

@ cardaft - i used just a fraction under 8litres to do 103miles , 4.4litres to the gallon

well i initially filled the tank up till the pump cut off , then after the drive i done the same thing ... and it needed just a baw hair under 8litres ...