JERKING

Wasting time effort and money doing that.

There renound for it, like any NA car. when there cold, they dont work as well, more viscous oil, very restrictive exhaust, and increased back pressure etc etc.... my cinquecento was terrible when it was cold, and that had the nuts tuned out of it, engines just dot like being cold.

could be that the electronic choke isnt quite right, could be a dirty throttle body... List is endless.

6 speeds possibly a bit worse as gear ratios are slightly different???

It goes once its warm. Its not a problem. Its a trait and a characteristic of the lupo.

Going to have to live with it. Or spend lots of money trying to fix it...... then it will only come back.

John

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is the same with a slightly jerky ride (just drop the clutch and balance it), but found she has not been as bad since i cleaned the inside of the throttle body with some carb cleaner and cotton buds.....still happens but only lasts less than a min (drive gently from start up in the morning to down my road....then she is fine)

Its a GTI trait

Thanks for all your answers,theVW garage did mention throttle body to be cleaned and they have to reset the car,costing £116.00 but no guarantee this would solve problem.As mentioned yesterday his going to find out from more senior mechanics.Are there any club lupo members who are VW mechanics?Many thanks again.

Thanks for all your answers,theVW garage did mention throttle body to be cleaned and they have to reset the car,costing £116.00 but no guarantee this would solve problem.As mentioned yesterday his going to find out from more senior mechanics.Are there any club lupo members who are VW mechanics?Many thanks again.

No offence youve just been ripped off. you could have done that yourself.

To reset the car, disconnect the battery overnight.

To clean the throttle body, get some cotton buds and some type of alcohol or degreaser and do it yourself.

£116 is only 40 quid off a BMC! must have money to burn!

why is everyone giving this dude a hard time about his car kangarooing , now surely you all know that if you clean the throttle body or map sensor out the car,s ecu has to relearn that it is clean, , having done this the car needs to go on either vag com or vw own computer to reset the throttle body and various other settings , you cannot just disconect the battery thinking that this will reset the ecu ,, it wont , the ecu will log this and keep it stored in the ecu ,, so i feel he has not wasted his money and nor will he by taking it to the garage to have the ecu recalibrated as it were ,,,this may well be a lupo gti thing but i dont think it,s right ,, try posting on vortex forum and see what joy u get there mate

Just incase the OP needs anymore convincing, I've had my Lupo from brand new, currently on 46,000 miles. Mine does it and has done since that day I first got it. Its annoying, but there are worse things in life, such as the rattle that comes from the boot area. :)

now surely you all know that if you clean the throttle body

Your right, although if you leave your engine running, giving the throtle body a spray with carb cleaner and stopping before the engine stalls it doesn't need re setting.

TBH, the only way you can stop it jumping forward is for VW to upload the milder engine map.

To reset the car, disconnect the battery overnight.

That doesnt work

now surely you all know that if you clean the throttle body or map sensor out the cars ecu has to relearn that it is clean, , having done this the car needs to go on either vag com or vw own computer to reset the throttle body and various other settings , you cannot just disconect the battery thinking that this will reset the ecu

It resets it to the generic map, from what i can remember. This is how my cinquecento's megasquirt worked....

The memory in the ecu has a ROM memory that stores the generic map and a RAM for parameters that are adjusted when the ECU is in learning mode.

Taking the power away erases RAM memory. So the ECU refers to its generic map, and goes back in to learning mode. And if youve cleaned it before resetting it, then it will adjust itself accordingly.

As for the rattle in the boot..... Thats possbly the most annoying thing that ever in the lopo... i mean take a needle in a haystack... 10 time worse... lol

You tried the top boot mount? I took the boot off, got some thykol sheet and make a gasket out of the material and then bolted the boot back on.. stopped the squeeking, but not the knocking!! argh!

John

It resets it to the generic map, from what i can remember. This is how my cinquecento's megasquirt worked....

Unfortunatly VW ECUs dont work like that.

Disturb the throttle body, it needs to be reset with the computer.

Unfortunatly VW ECUs dont work like that.

Disturb the throttle body, it needs to be reset with the computer.

Oh really... what a silly idea!

I stand corrected then.

I take it its like the headlights then, you have to set a neutral, and then it adjusts itself from there?

John

Edited by Casper1496

this may well be a lupo gti thing but i dont think it,s right ,, try posting on vortex forum and see what joy u get there mate

VWVortex is American right? What are the Americans going to know about a car that was never available over there, compared to the largest collection of Lupo GTI owners in the UK?

It's normal. Live with it.

why is everyone giving this dude a hard time about his car kangarooing[\quote]

Giving him a hard time?! :rolleyes: Everyone knows that CL's advice is priceless :P

Seriously though, i think its nice to see that this owner cares about his roo-juice-adicted car and is willing to pay to have him running smooth and sweet.

We know its a GTi hidden extra, and we're all used to getting whacked in the back and some very odd looks from fellow motorists :blush: We're not giving him a hard time at all, we just know we are right.

:)

If its any help to you, one of my friends (or god as i call him) is an almighty mechanic and the only guy i would ever trust with any of my cars (im always the one that gets crap service in dealers) his garage is in Iver if you want his number drop me a pm as hes a proper old skool mechanic who knows cars rather then plug them in to see what the problem is - although he can plug them in as well.

Thanks again for all your answers just to say if the car was under warranty, i would make this problem was sorted out and if not, would demand a full refund.IF there is factory fault all VW cars should be called back.I have had a few GTI's mk2, two mk4's they all seem to have problems from factory {heater matrix.windows,coil pack, pedal box,exhausts ect,ect.............. ps i love my lupo gti,small fast and rare something special, i don't want to change and waste more hard earned cash.Many thanks.

Edited by mukilupo

That's the thing though, I wouldn't really call it a fault. Merely a slightly unpleasant characteristic. ;)

I'm sure they could have solved the jerking, but this would probably affect the way the car runs when the engine is warm.