JERKING

:angry2: LUPO GTI 02 ,22.000 miles,have had the car 9 months FVWSH,problem is every morning when engine cold the car jerks for 1-3 minutes than ok for rest of the day.I normally warm the car up before i drive,but not very practical.Someone suggested changing coolant temperature sensor £26.00 from VW which i did, but no difference.Please help.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely if you spent £13.700 on a new GTI one would not expect this from the father land.It must be something or fault as the car gets older maybe beyond 3-4 years.Has anyone bought GTI from NEW had this problem? Many thanks again.

My '54 plate does it also. Got worse in the colder weather.

I'm going for new plugs, leads etc at the next service, but from what I read on here its a characteristic of the cheeky little chimp!

You might not be convinced, but I don't think I've ever met a GTi owner that doesn't get it.

As soon as its even mildly warm it won't happen.

Trust us, its a characteristic of the GTi, they all do it.

Doesnt happen all the time, you just have to be a fairy with the clutch until the kangaroo juice has worked its way out.

Ive had it really bad a couple of times and thaught i was on a one way ticket through the windscreen :lol:

You'll learn to live with it :)

Well i've owned mine from 3,500 miles and it was a year old when i bought it. It is a common problem i'm afraid, although mine isn't as bad as it used to be, infact it doesn't do it that much and when it does i just open the clutch for a second then engage it again and all is fine.

Had a quick chat to someone VW garage,possible causes air-mass meter,throttle body,coolant temperature sensor which we changed which made no difference.I was then told by the garage there are two coolant sensors.The search goes on.Thanks.

I really don't think you will cure it, i have had a couple of sensors changed under warrenty when my engine check light came on when i first bought, i also had the throttle body cleaned and it still does the kangarooing, not as often as it used to i may add, but every now and again.

Edited by Adam

I've had three GTi's one from new and they've all been the same.

Although the 5speed which was my first one wasnt as bad.

I've been told its to do with the fly by wire throttle and how theyre maped when cold.

It's a real pain some times! but as already said just keep it smooth :)

Well i am amazed,so many gti /polo drivers have the same prolem.My Vw garage in Watford are kindly going to find out what the answer is, may check with old school mechanics.Keep you posted.