EPC warning light

mabm3uk

Hi, im need of some help.

My girlfriend has a 1.4 Lupo, while at the petrol station the other day, she tried to start the car but the EPC Light was lit and the car would only idle.

Can anybody advise me of what this means, whats broken and how much would the replacement part be

im in dyer need of help

Hello, the EPC engine management light indicates a moderate to serious problem with the car. When you say it just idles, do you mean the revs won't go above 20 on the dial? This is known as "limp home mode".

The most common cause of EPC lights is (apparently) a faulty break light switch which is easy to diagnose: do your back break lights come on when you press the break down?

(throttle body's seem to be common too: either carbon gunge which can be cleaned off, or faulty wiring)

If it isn't the break switch, the computer will have a log of whatever has caused the light to come on. You need to get this read by someone with the right kit; garages tend to charge for diagnosis (and they pay a hefty sum for the equipment) or someone with a copy of VAG COM and the right cables.

If this happens to you when you're out and about, if you are a member of the AA or RAC, and can justifiably call them, they can read the computer for you, which wouldn't cost you anything (on top of your membership fee that is). I called them with the EPC + engine check light when I was 5 miles down the road from a garage I'd just picked it up from and another 5 from my house -- they read the log and picked up on something the garage missed.

There are several threads for people with EPC problems it might be worth reading (if you haven't searched already):

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...1574&hl=epc

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...5656&hl=epc

• Like 1