Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

My latest update is, Im now finding the 24" screen a little small now..

Hence hooking a mac mini up to Big telly-ness :P

Added to my growing plethora of Mac-ness today with a new Mac Mini to create a big daddy home cinema.

Teamed up with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, should be a pretty s****y setup once I get some time to hook it all up :)

I'm getting very close to doing the same (I've been waiting for them to do *something* with the AppleTV for awhile but I'm bored of waiting now) seeing as they just upgraded them.

My only question, what mouse/trackball/pad are you going with? I day dream at work wondering which would suit at the moment. :)

Is Apple TV worth the cost though?

Well, depends how much digital media you have. I have all my films in AppleTV format, so getting on the TV would be a good idea, but would probably require me to upgrade the router at the same time to get the best speed (which would then be slowed down anyway by my iMac G4 which doesn't have N standard wireless).

A Mac Mini under the TV offers a little more flexibility I think.

I draw a line at buying an Apple TV for the sake of having another box with an Apple logo on it. It's completely under spec'd for the job it's supposed to be. Anyone considering it should buy a PS3 and get a blu-ray player thrown in.

I draw a line at buying an Apple TV for the sake of having another box with an Apple logo on it. It's completely under spec'd for the job it's supposed to be. Anyone considering it should buy a PS3 and get a blu-ray player thrown in.

You're right of course.

Apple TV is a frustrating thing, as Apple have the potential to make something really special! i.e HDD TV recorder, and home media server.

I would really like one, but I think I'd be left disappointed!

i really want to build a sobriety app for texting and phoning people, but i don't think you'd be able to override apple's apps

and when i say 'i', i mean get someone else to do it.

Edited by SimonJ

I wouldn't go for an Apple TV over a mac mini. iTunes now offers HD rentals, which was only available before on apple TV. HDMI isn't an issue, just use DVI, which in fact is the same (if you want to connect to the TV using HDMI, you can get DVI > HDMI cables). Use optical audio out on the mac mini and you get all the sound you need.

As for keyboard/mouse, I just went for the bluetooth apple jobs, both look great, the keyboard especially, and work perfectly :)

Has anyone tried Safari 4 beta? I have tried it for Mac and PC, and i think the concept of it is good however it seems a little slow when browsing, i like the coverflow feature on it, it seems a little slow on PC but right enough for OS X, i know its a beta but still performs well enough

What do you guys think?

Yes! have you ever used google chrome?

Apple have made the new safari look as close to chrome as i think they could have got before it was a clone

Its an interesting move i wonder if its a whole new browser or just a slightly different shell. Chrome is like a mini OS

it runs a JavaScript virtual machine. Only time will tell but hopefully the top site function will be better than chromes

they really do look almost the same

chromevssafari.jpg

i used chrome for about a day and for some reason i didn't like it, i found my self going back to IE. The top site function was good on Chrome i must admit, but Safari is far more interactive. Also i like the was that on Safari you can press Ctrl+N and it opens a new window where as in IE it opens a copy of the window you are in. Dunno if this is the case on Chrome.

For some reason Safari beta wont let me check my Hotmail emails, i hope thats sorted when its final release is released.

Vinny

Yes chrome is good but still not as user friendly as safari. It has some good concepts that safari has now stolen.

Dont get me wrong i am a big fan of safari i only stopped using it because i can have up to 20 tabs open at once

flicking back and forth. Safari under windows has a known memory leak so its not ideal where as chrome uses

very little memory compared and if i do get a bad site that crashes the browser (happens with safari on OS X too)

then i just kill the application and re-open it. I have never had chrome not recover the exact state of every page

including text i have been typing.

I will give the new safari a go next week when im not looking at anything important. It should be quite easy to tell if it

a totally new browser or at least has more than cosmetic improvements. I cant say that i have had a single issue yet but i have quite powerful graphics cards on here. the graphics side looks like it could use some improvement yet . I have also not tried it on OS X yet.