Weird noise - Wheel bearing?

Right basically this generally happens on motorways of when I go above 50-60mph.

A weird noise can be heard and I suspect it could be the wheel bearings. Saying that though, the car has only covered 29,000 miles.

Any ideas :wacko:

If its a wheel bearing a test you can do is turn to the right or left slighty and see if the noise gets worse or better. I thin thats what you do anyway! try it.

Ive got a bit of the same thing at the moment though, had to replace one tyre yesterday as it wasnt quite round! now it seems my other one isnt either. Crappy firestones!

Maybe you have a noisey tyre or something, you could try swapping them front to back, but remember to adjust your tyre pressures if you do that.

Its strange the noise only happends at 50-60, usually a wheel bearing makes constant noise and worse when you have been going for a while.

Funny thing that you mention, Firestone Tyres.... I have four of them!!

I will try what you have said about turning the wheels (60mph sharp turning!!). Also I should have said this properly but it happens from 50MPH onwards.

Hmm ive gone off firestones, two have distored, i got rid of the worst one but the other one isnt right either :wacko: No idea how it can happen but its just not worn right with flat spots and high and low spots!

Yeah dont turn too sharp at 60! :lol: Just like a small movement might change the sound.

It may be a good idea to check the tyres well, its not the first time ive heard of firestones wearing funny ...

Pikey way of checking for wheel bearings is to get up to speed on a quiet / private road. Then just take it out of gear, turn the engine off (but ignition on or you'll put the steering lock on, lol) and if you still get a whirrring noise then its most likely the bearing.

If you jack the car up and 'shake' the wheel, if there play from back to front (IE towards and away from the strut) then its most likey a bearing.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would update this. Firestones were wearing funny, which was not surprising at all!!

Anyway I have corrected this by fitting my new alloys with brand new tyres!!

Thanks for everybody who helped me by replying

Edited by jeyesh

Just thought I would update this. Firestones were wearing funny, which was not surprising at all!!

Anyway I have corrected this by fitting my new alloys with brand new tyres!!

Thanks for everybody who helped me by replying

Haha firestones at it again it seems! Im losing faith in them and i stupidly have two newish ones and i dont think they will ever wear out!

Talking of low tyre pressure at speed. I was passed on the motorway yesterday by a corsa doing about 85, with a totally flat rear tyre!!. The tyre then came off the rim and headed straight for my car, then the corsa spun mashed into the centre barrier quite a few times and stopped right infront of me facing me! Was a write off to say the least!

When will people learn about tyres! They are not to be used flat :lol: Keep an eye on your pressures people ;)

Shook me up that did :wacko:

Least it wasnt your wheel bearing. :)

Edited by cardaft

Wow! Glad to hear your Arosa is ok after that Corsa incident. :o

I will probably avoid Firestones now due to my traumatic experience B)

Yes so am i! How he didnt know about the flat with thenoise it was making and everyone around flashing their lights ive no idea :wacko:

Oh Ive now replaced both my old dodgy firestones so ive only got two newish ones left, not taking any chances with tyres :huh:

What are your new alloys? any Pics?

Edited by cardaft