gti battery

my battery is still the standard/same one that has been in the car from new and I think it is about time to change it.

2 questions if anyone can help.......

What model is the battery that is in the GTi as standard and could someone just measure it as getting into the boot to check mine is not the easiest with the install on it.

Also will something like the optima yellow top battery fit in the GTi bat cover and would there be any benifit with using one of these??

hope someone can help me out... please.

Edited by lupo_gaz

can't help with the upgraded battery as i know very little about them, but the standard battery is a 61ah vw branded varta. vw part number is 000 915 105 ad and it costs around £80 iirc

can't help with the upgraded battery as i know very little about them, but the standard battery is a 61ah vw branded varta. vw part number is 000 915 105 ad and it costs around £80 iirc

cheers for that one. you dont know the dimensions are do you? lol.

Original battery size and rating.

240Lx173Wx190Hmm installed length ways, North-South.

12V 280A 60Ah DIN

480A EN/SAE

With round terminals

Layout as follows

_____|____ Gas outlet to tube.

|.0..|...........| Negative

|.__|...........|

|.................|

|.................|

|.__............|

|.....|...........|

|.0..|...........| Positive

Ignore the full stops

The Battery box area is approx 300Lx175Wx195H, a new support bar may be needed for larger batteries, also the positive cable might need extending.

Make sure the battery terminals are located the correct way around.

Possible batteries

Varta

Original replacement

560 408 054 3132 Blue Dynamic

60Ah 540A EN

242x175x190

Upgraded replacements

Best

570 901 076 3332 Ultra Dynamic, Fully sealed AGM technology

70Ah 760A EN

278x175x190 (note longer, new support bar may be needed and possible +VE cable extension)

Good

577 400 078 3162 Silver Dynamic

77Ah 780A EN

278x175x190 (note longer, new support bar may be needed and possible +VE cable extension)

Also look at Bosch as they are the same as Varta and their Hightec range is the same as the Varta Ultra Dynamic and may be cheaper.

Other Manufactures are:-

Odyssey

Optima

Stinger

Northstar NSB

Hawker

A good charger for any of the above batteries, inc AGM ones that should only be charged with a suitable type of charge are the CTEK MXS3600 or 7000 (higher charging current for faster charge and larger battery capacity but costs twice as much).

All the above dimensions are accurate, but none of the batteries have been tested for fit.

Just a bit of info that I picked up as I will upgrading my battery in the future.

called a couple of local vw garages and they are wanting £97 for this. lol.

• 7 years later...

Hi all, I am trying to replace the battery in my GTi and getting confused.

I looked it up and the recommended battery for the Lupo GTI is a Type 027 measuring 246mm (long) x 175mm (wide) x 190mm (high)

I bought a Bosch S4 from Costco and the size seems about right BUT the terminal posts are the wrong way round (compared to the original battery in it) which means that the Positive lead won't reach.

Does anyone know what the correct Type battery is for the Lupo that has the terminal posts the right way round ?

Edited by spy

Thanks Jon. I did consider an original replacement but I want to fit an upgraded battery with higher cranking power

Looked into this a bit more and it appears that original VW part No 000 915 105 is a Type 075 battery that has different measurements, it is 175mm high instead of 190mm high

I think the right battery type is the Type 027 but the Bosch S4 I bought has terminals the wrong way round. I will take it back and see if they have different variations.

Great, just what I wanted to know. I will check in Costco for the Type 075 when I take the 027 back