Lupo TDI sport remap, compared to origional?

Cooke

I'm wanting to buy a faster car (I currently drive a 1.1 saxo), my initial thoughts were to buy a Lupo Sport 100BHP although i have found out that the Lupo TDI Sport can be remapped to about 108BHP with increased torque.

Does anyone know how a remapped TDI sport compares to the same car in standard form? (ie 0-60 times or whatever)

Also does anyone know how a remapped TDI compares to a standard petrol sport 100BHP?

I'm looking for a car that will be a hoot to drive by the way, i want something fast like the petrol sport but with the torque of a diesel lol

Edited by Cooke

Aparently people that go from a sport to a TDi often say there isnt much between them as standard, the TDi has loads more low down pull.

The TDi is quicker than you might think, and repammed it will really walk all over a Sport.

My sister used to have a 1.1 saxo, which i used to use at times. There is really no copetition between them, so your definitely making the right decision :) Mine is so much quicker, feels much better built and better screwed together, not in the same legue really. You will have to try one to know what i mean.

Plus the Lupo/Arosa is a load better for safety than the saxo, which is one main factor we dont have our saxo anymore.

A generic map for a TDi gives it around 105BHP, as standard toe TDi is 0-60 in 12 seconds (although it does feel quicker, ive never timed it)

Ive not been in a remapped one but going from a 1.1 to a 1.4 TDi will make it feel quick anyway.

I test drove a standard TDI today, and i was suprised at how much power you get after 2000rpm once that turbo kicks in...

Ive drove a petrol sport also, the TDI defo had more of the grin factor as when you put your foot down it just goes, no need for changing down lol.

So people TDI Sport or Petrol Sport 100BHP?

The standard TDI isnt 100bhp, only the Petrol Sport gives that power.

You have to get a TDI mapped to get anywhere near 100bhp.

I've just sold our 1.1 Saxo which has given five years of trouble free motoring.

Should I sell my Lupo then guys? :coffee:

I test drove a standard TDI today, and i was suprised at how much power you get after 2000rpm once that turbo kicks in...

Ive drove a petrol sport also, the TDI defo had more of the grin factor as when you put your foot down it just goes, no need for changing down lol.

So people TDI Sport or Petrol Sport 100BHP?

you've driven both + over 18...surely you can make your own mind up on this one mate? :rolleyes:

petrol sport for throwing about, diesel for long drives and lazyness, i'd go for diesel atm and i reckon a petrol sport ain't far of a gti if driven hard so a tdi sport would be nowhere near as quick.

A standard TDI i'm sorry will be no where near as quick as a 1.4 16v sport in terms of 'traffic light race'.

A remap'd one will be just as quick, but they'll be beaten by a 1.4 16v sport on a 1/4 mile as the TDI's 1st/2nd gears are horrendous if you're after traffic light races as its all about the torque.

I love my TDI as i do long drives, but i do miss my revs of a petrol car.

From owning a remap'd tdi, personally if your the type who has a heavey right foot and loves to take part in traffic light races, stick to the 1.4 16v sport. The TDI isn't meant to be a traffic light warrior......

Edited by g-man85

Standard TDi is 75bhp & has a painful turbo lag, if you're after 'nippyness' the 1.4 16v is definately your best bet. Even after a remap the TDI will be slower off the mark, but once its on the move its a different creature entirely.

im not really arsed about traffic light races, how often does anyone actually go from 0-60. im more interested in instant power for say overtaking or whatever? i rekon the TDI will be best for that?

Edited by Cooke

im not really arsed about traffic light races, how often does anyone actually go from 0-60. im more interested in instant power for say overtaking or whatever? i rekon the TDI will be best for that?

Sounds like you've answered your own question; a TDI will definately not let you down for overtaking and getting up to speed once rolling.

If you thought a standard TDI is nippy, you'll love a re-map'd one :shades:

I think you should go for a sport as i believe a standard sport will beat a mapped tdi, i have beaten 1.9dci megane (04) in a 'traffic light race' and i also find the sport is good for longer trips too, and over taking is not a problem!

I carnt say ive noticed the TDi having rubbish 1st/2nd gears, when you put your foot down from a standstill it really shifts if you give it the right amount of revs, althouh you have to be carefull not to end up with a load of wheelspin and not getting anywhere!

The thing that puts me off the sport is its gearbox, im not a fan of high reving cars when they are cruising and the sport does about 3800 RPM ish? at 70 i think, similar to the 1.0 engine. Im not a fan of a engine doing near 4K for 4 hour motorway driving or what ever. And i know, before anyone says, its made to do that, but it also makies it loud and uses a load of petrol.

Where as the TDi sits at a smidge below 2.5K RPM at 70, and is much more replaxed. Doing 50MPH in 5th you can easy put your foot down and pull to 70 quite quickly, its effortless.

BUT you do get good and bad ones. I test drove a lupo TDi at a VW dealer a few months ago, and it was REALLY really slow, flooring it didnt really make much difference. Got back in mine and floored it and it was off like a shot, no comparrison. So just make sure you find a nippy one!

It really depends on what driving you do, if you do lots of short runs then id go for the Sport petrol, but if you do a fair amount of longer dives then id say the TDi for sure. I thin its fun to drive too, and ill find it hard if i have to go back to a petrol car, since getting anywhere fast is about thrashing it high into the revs and stiring round with the gears, TDi its just foot down and your away.

And turbo lag!!! if your in the right gear then there isnt any, its very good for turbo lag IMO, ive driven diesels with far worse turbo lag let me tell you, ive not even noticed it in mine really. You have just got to be in the right gear and keep the revs about 2000 and it pulls like a train. Even heavily loaded with 4 people and a heap of shopping!

As you can tell i do like my TDi and ive no plans to swap it any time soon. I never think god i wish this was a bit quicker, although for some reason ive been in 4 TDis now and mine feels noticably the quickest one out of them, and also amongst the quietest. So that might have something to do with why i like it so much.

I recently went in a sport petrol and i did like it, well up in the rev range and it does pull well, but being 100% honest there wasnt a hugely massive difference between that and my TDi, obviously it was quicker but not as quick as i was thinking it would be. Somehow :wacko:

I think im a diesel convert now, although ive got to say the little 1.4 3 pot isnt like most diesels to drive.

Mine even managed to convince someone i know who only has petrols and is only interested in petrols that they arnt actually too bad and it can really shift for a standard car.

Id say a remapped TDi would be quicker than a sport although it will have its drawbacks too.

I carnt see you being dissapointed with the standard TDi going from a 1.1 though, so get the diesel and be done with it, you know its the best choice :D

Although at times im tempted by a late arosa sport, but then i think id hate the gearbox and wouldnt like do do long drives in it like i do in mine. Although it will probably be more fun to drive it quickly but im not the kind of person that has to thrash a car everywhere. I usually drive quickly but not wanting to thrash it to high revs all the time. So for the the TDi with its low down torque makes quick driving (I know its not the quicket thing ever, if it sounds like thats what im implying, far from it) effortless and suits me better. I might get it remapped some time when i want a bit more speed although im not desperate for it to be done really.

Plus all the common Lupo problems (pedal box, gearbox) are prone on the sport more than any other model. Tdis dont suffer from any of them problems!

Thats a long post! buy hey im bored. I can imagine a few probably think im talking total crap, but there you go, i like my TDi :)

Its your decision though, and you might have different needs, wants and expectations from it than other people who have gievn their opinions. Which is what they are, you might have totally different opinions.

But you have driven them both now so you will have a pretty good idea which one is for you.

Edited by cardaft

I just personally find (might be because mine is re'map'd) that 1st/2nd gear aren't suited for the engine being flexible with its torque. I know 1st revs upto 25mph (bit more maybe) and 2nd upto around 50mph, but i find the car will accelerate just as quickly from 30mph in 3rd gear upto greater speeds. But then i always roll off the lights gently so i don't end up wearing out my clutch/tyres as still unsure how durable clutches are with a remap'd engine.

An easy test I showed my mates is a dual carriageway we have going uphill, there's overhead bridge near the end. Most locals do a speed test to what they can reach before the bridge.

Well in the Arosa going through the gears changing at 4200rpm (before power drops off) i achieve the same speed as if i granny shift slowly into 5th gear (ensuring its at least at 2200rpm) and then floor it using meerly the torque.

Thats something I have found with my TDi. You can rev it right up to 4k before changing or you can change just before 3K rpm and you will achieve almost the same speed. It kind of makes it unnecessary to thrash it. I think this is the reason why you can't drive a diesel in the same spirited way you can a petrol; you don't get that feeling of going faster when higher up in the rev range.

So with the diesel it doesn't go much faster when you thrash it. But because it doesn't need to be thrashed, it is more suited to real-world driving situations, i.e. overtaking and dual carriageway/motorway driving etc. The only downside is that you probably won't win that occasional traffic light Grand Prix!

true, but tbh i get more of a smile from putting my foot down and it just pulling like a train rather than shifting down and revving the balls off it like you do with a petrol

Chris is a true Diesel head :thumbup: , and he's right with his comments about them, i went in search for a petrol sport and came across the diesel first, i have driven both petrol and diesel, and i like them both lots, but my mind was made up straight away, i now have diesel running through my veins! :lol: