1.6 16V Lupo GTI Turbo engine In Progress... (MK4 Golf)

veedubdude

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, I was just browsing and came across your thread I see that ur putting a turbo on your 1.4 golf. Ive got a 1.4 16v lupo and have got a ko3 manifold for it, which I was going to use to replace the old one and stick a turbo on it!! People are telling me that its gona be really expensive, but I just thought id ask you to see what u need to change on the car ect ect???

Any help would be great! thanks

What engine has the manifold you have come off? Things like the 1.8T's etc, the manifold's are not a straight swap. To get it runnign low boost you will need a good thousand pounds I reckon, and thats with myself doing all the work, except for the remap.

You're looking at custom pipework, intercooler, decompression plate, exhaust, turbo coolant and oil lines. For things like the return oil lines the sump will have to be dropped, and to fit the decomp plate you will then need head gaskets and head bolts - so its not cheap by any means.

Ive been told by chipped UK that they will be able to map the standard ECU to work with this turbo, but no-one else has ever got this to work, so Im very doubtful it will, that'll then be another £500 - £1.5k on custom mapping depending on spec/make and the tuner that sets it up....

Realistically the engine cant handle that much power either, and if you bend a rod / melt a piston then you've wrecked the whole engine, which is why Im thinking of paying a bit more out and getting the internals done now, even though I wasn't planning on doing these until next year.

Hope that helps a bit...! Have a search around the site though, because I got alot of information which helped me no end! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick update... Whilst sitting reading a performance manual last night in bed, I thought I'd quickly jot down everything Ive already spent and have to spend to get her back on the road, and working... Seems I've gone quite a bit over budget! By the time she's working, I reckon I'll have spent close on £2200... Eek! Approx. £500 of that is bits I would have needed anyway, i.e. cam belt, engine mounts and a few other bits, so turbo conversion is going to cost me around £1700. The big blow is that it'll only be mapped to around 125bhp, due to the fact I cant afford internals yet, and don't want to risk breaking anything. After the internals are done with a new map she should quite happily push 180 / 225 with nitrous. Breaks down like this:

Money I've already spent:

£400 - Turbo, downpipe, and original exhaust

£300 - Vibratechnics engine mounts (Needed replacing, and with the VW parts coming in at £220, I decided to upgrade them...)

£220 - VW parts (cam belt kit, head bolts, oil filter, gaskets, coolant line splices, + bits and bobs etc.)

£150 - 2mm Aluminium decompression plate, and custom exhasut gasket to help prevent heat soak into head.

£30 - New exhaust backbox.

£1100.

Parts still needed to be purchased:

£75 - Sports Cat.

£25 - Exhaust piping.

£90 - Turbo oil lines.

£25 - Turbo coolant lines.

£100 - Intercooler and pipe + fittings.

£150 - Limp mode switch (to prevent the ECU going into limp mode whenever boost comes on)

£300 - Chipped UK mapping.

£140 - Oil cooler with thermostat plate.

£100 - Oil temp, pressure, and boost gauges.

£1005

Total to run = £2105

Hopefully towards the end of the month, all the bits like decompression plate and cambelt kit will be here, and I can get the main bulk of the engine work done. Then it'll all be fairly simple work like intercooler piping etc.

Also I just want to put a HUGE shout out to stealth racing, I ordered my engine mounts approx. 4pm on Tuesday 8th Jan, and they arrived this morning! Superb service, and really friendly and helpful guys!

Quick pics of some tasty parts ;)

SP_A0057.jpg

And while I'm at it, what santa brought me for christmas, a forge splitter DV:

SP_A0058.jpg

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, and if everything goes to plan, most things are ticked off the list...!

Edited by veedubdude

Yay I got my own spot in the build thread bit! :D

I've had a lot of questions over on the golf forum about how everything works, goes together, etc etc. So when I get a chance and it is actuall working, Im going to do a right up of everything I've found out, and how Im doing the whole thing, so in the future if someone wants to turbo-charge there'll be a how-to almost, lol!

I'll post it over here, because it'll be a lot more use I would have thought!

Couldn't resist a few pictures of the new goodies I picked up last night! Fully balanced, lightened, and knife-edged crank, along with lupo GTi pistons and rods, new rod shells, one new crank shell, new rod bolts, new inlet and outlet gaskets, and the balanced crank pulleys and flywheel to go with the crank!

Everything together:

SP_A0074.jpg

Knife-edged, and balanced:

SP_A0075.jpg

I cant wait to start getting my hands dirty next week now! Since I've got to take the whole block out to fit the internals, while Im at it its going to get a good clean up and re-paint. Was thinking something like a red block and head with polished rocker cover, inlet and boost pipes. But I'm just not sure!

Cheers bud! I've had a quick look at the online ARP catalogue, and cant find any parts for this engine, so Im going to give Erik at advanced autosport a ring and see what he suggests!

Apart from the new big end bolts, I think I have everything I need now to rip the block out and get the new internals installed! :D

:D Thats great news! The bolts will be here before 1, every time I hear a car Im looking out the window! Just want to check them so I know if I can get everything done this weekend!!!!! Come on courier, where are youuuuu??

(I apologise if I sound slightly excited ;))