Arosa 1.4 16v Sport - My Trackday Project

driveforward

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would it not be better off starting with an older,cheaper bashed up Arosa rather than pulling apart a good one?

I was specifically looking for a MK2 given my plans for the beastie, plus I'm sure many of the parts will find good homes :)

dont know how you dare :(

i cant even afford to get one on the road yet, never mind rip one apart for the track!!!!

:( :( :(

As Dan already said, less of the ripping - this took an entire day, blood-sweat and toil in the freezing fog! Remember, this will not be a daily-driver, and I've spent many years harping on about doing a track project myself!

Too late... Pictures to follow.

..and here they are!

Yup, today was D-Day for the interior.. We quickly got stuck in but uncovered several problematic items along the way. Nevertheless, a careful approach meant no damage was done to any of the items we removed :D

11am to 4pm was spent mostly:

Stripping out the interior..

First came out the front seats, then the rears. Then the boot lining and rear side trim. Then the centre console to enable us to remove the carpet and HEAVY sound deadening (we were both surprised just how heavy this matting was!). We then turned our attention to the headlining, which after some persuasion and difficulties with the sun-visors (!) it came out, only to reveal something neither of us expected. A dirty great patch of cardboard stuck to the roof with 15 times more glue than was necessary!

intstrip1.jpg

This was a right PITA and took ages to remove - taking great care not to damage the roof itself. Here's Dan still at it and a view of how stripped the interior got:

intstrip2.jpg

Then it was time to start putting things back in. By this time we were tired and cold, and it took about 30 minutes to get the centre console back in as we had to do it twice having forgot to put in a metal support (which was predictably only noticed once the whole lot had gone in and I turned around only to notice it lying where the rear seats used to be. Oh cock.)

intstrip3.jpg

We then cleaned up all the crud and dust in the rear:

intstrip4.jpg

intstrip5.jpg

intstrip6.jpg

..and did the same in the front:

intstrip7.jpg

intstrip9.jpg

Noting at this point all of the excessive glue still to be removed at a later date from the roof:

intstrip8.jpg

Finally, how much stuff did we remove?

intstripout.jpg

And what effect did it have on the rear suspension? I now have a chelsea tractor:

afterintstrip2.jpg

afterintstrip1.jpg

So, there we have it, the work has begun. Next up I need to start ordering parts, although there are still a few things that need removing ;)

Edited by driveforward

Glad the 'advice' was well received :P I'm kind of tempted myself in some ways although it won't be for a while yet since I want a Caterham first! LOL After driving the Cup cars it made me realise what a great track car they make. You know that despite being 70bhp short, a Lupo Cup car is as fast round Brands as a Clio Cup car!

I have to say that in my opinion the Arosa's and Lupos are actually really nicely engineered. Interesting that they used cardboard as a roof lining. Light, cheap and effective. Makes a change from the rubberised stuff that weighs a tonne they use in most cars!

where bouts you based mate? you gonna be selling all that stuff? can i get in 1st on the rear door cards??

As Dan say's - Stourbridge West Midlands..

All of the interior will be up for sale once I have no further need for the front seats. Not sure yet whether it will be sold as a job lot or bit by bit.. keep your eye on this thread ;)

Glad the 'advice' was well received :P I'm kind of tempted myself in some ways although it won't be for a while yet since I want a Caterham first! LOL After driving the Cup cars it made me realise what a great track car they make. You know that despite being 70bhp short, a Lupo Cup car is as fast round Brands as a Clio Cup car!

I have to say that in my opinion the Arosa's and Lupos are actually really nicely engineered. Interesting that they used cardboard as a roof lining. Light, cheap and effective. Makes a change from the rubberised stuff that weighs a tonne they use in most cars!

Hehe.. exactly, I recall a Lupo GTI at the 'ring last year, the guy was driving the wheels off it and it was making mincemeat of some very highly rated cars.

That cardboard had us in stitches*, it wasn't even in the middle!

*Until we started to try and take the damn stuff off!

It's weight-loss Jim, but not as we know it!

The more I work on this car, the more I realise that the previous owners were either off-road fanatics or serial festival goers; as I keep finding mud, twigs and leaves everywhere!

Today I had the simple aim of swapping a few tyres around and removing damaged wheel-arch liners.. little did I know it would turn into another day of jet-washing and immense loss of weight for the little Arosa! There was clay-like mud behind the wheel arch linings, up the suspension turrets (on top of what I'd previously removed!), on top of the entire length of the exhaust, steering arms and across the rear beam.. it was everywhere..

mud1.jpg

mud2.jpg

mud3.jpg

mud4.jpg

I reckon I must have shaved another 5kg off easy!

Edited by driveforward

^ Thats Safe! :huh:

Lol.. no worries it was nice and stable! There was no-way I was lying under there in all that mud!

Mentalist! On 2 stands and a trolley jack.... Your braver than I!

Good work on the cleaning and further weight loss.

I've done it before mate ;)

100_2934.jpg

Mmmmm....arosa sport alloys :wub:

How long is the queue for these wheels!?!

I could always fit them to our other Arosa ;):P

As requested by mitch unit 21, here's some pics of my Audi A2.. It now has tinted rear windows and daytime running lights ;)

Cheers, it's one of a kind ;)

I'll dig out some pics - not got any decent ones though since before the rear windows were tinted

DSCF1331.jpg

DSCF1319.jpg

DSCF1315.jpg

One of my fave pics:

DSCF1326.jpg

Coming off the Nurburgring:

2.jpg

On the Nurburgring:

4.jpg

As it is now (including the dirt):

1.jpg

2.jpg