OLW's 1.8T build thread

one litre wonder ;)

ok seeing as theres a build thread for everything else here :lol: thought i might as well start this up as theres not that much info when it comes to putting a 1.8T into one of our cars so heres the parts list that i can think of so far , ill be scoring them out as i get the parts and adding more on as i need them so you know what you would need if you were doing it

parts list needed so far

engine

Wiring

ECU

Keys

Ignition

radiators ( VR6 or TT )

TT/LCR Catalytic converter

loop GTi front hub ( got 1 so far )

loop GTi pedal box

loop GTi clutch mater cylinder

Clocks

Rear brake discs

G60 front gearbox/engine mount

loop GTi front ARB

VR6 front cross memeber

VR6 front engine mount

exhaust system as far as the flexi

new wishbone bushes

Rear brake pads

G60 Starter motor

280mm Front brake discs

front brake pads

loop GTi braided brake hoses

new front carrier to hub bolts

new rear carrier to hub bolts

new top mounts

new top mount bearings

loop GTi caliper bleed nipples ( might as well replace them while its all out )

loop GTi Rear caliper bleed nipples

intercoolers

passat gear selector tower ( 02A )

gear linkages

G60 flywheel

G60 gearbox (02A or 02J)

GTi calipers

G60 carriers

GTi rear beam with discs on it

clutch

loop GTi handbrake cable x2

brake fluid

gearbox oil

high spec clutch so it can take 1/4 sprints

one you have all that you then need to

shoe horn the engine in

make a a front cross member to mount front engine mount onto

custom drive shafts

custom exhaust

problems we can fore see are the engine mounts from the 1.8T . the 1.8T lump has and engine mount on the front of the engine that bolts onto a front cross member . now the loops and arosa dont have this mount , so we are going to have to get the whole front end off of the arosa and make a front cross member out of 5mm steel and make a box section thats tied into the two chasis legs , this will form a mount for the engine and stiffen up the body a bit more .

other things are like where to mount the intercoolers , im going to have them mounted onto the front pannel between the front bumper and the front pannel so they are behind the mesh grills to get air into them . The radiator will *hopefully fit where the arosa one is but due to it being larger we are going to widen the whole on the front pannel to allow more air into it to cool it .

Gearbox wise , im going to have to use a 02A cable shift gearbox with a hydraulic clutch ( hence the GTi pedal box ) and the shifter tower from the same car and then going to have to have custom driveshafts made up to fit .

braking wise ive got a whole GTi rear beam ( thanks wayne ) which im in the process of cleaning up the calipers etc new discs , pads , brake lines , bleed nipples etc and having that fitted to there rear , im replacing as many bushes as possible while its all out now rather than having it all built and then something we had off anyway being taken back off again to have a part replaced . front brakes , im still toying with 280mm or high quality 256mm brakes and pads . either way the only problem we can fore see is the brake fluid master cylinder and the air intake with the BAM engine heres a pic to show you what i mean

img45.jpg

the air intake goes up the left hand side and just at the right angle in the pipe is where the brake fluid master cylinder is so that may have to be moved to allow the air flow to be uneffected .

ill try and keep this thread up to date as much as possible

Edited by one litre wonder ;)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your chassis legs have a grommet on each side about 5 " back from the front, directly below this grommet is a hole in the underside of your leg's weld a captive nut in here and support the cradle from that point. :shades:

see we were planning on drilling a hole in it and welding a nut in so this may save us having to do that :lol:

oh forgot to say about the wiring side of things , im ripping out the whole of the 1litre loom and going to be putting in the whole TT loom .

heres some pics from today , me + cordless drill + wire brush attatchment + filthy brake calipers and some paint later

DSC00592.jpg

before clean up

DSC00591.jpg

after cleaning up and paint

DSC00589.jpg

and the carriers

DSC00593.jpg

good luck mate, ill be keeping an eye on this, have some 256 disks and carries some where from when i upgraded mine.

Regards

angelo

that gearbox looks BIG is this how bill and the others have fitted them ????

bills car dont run a front crossmember it use's a rear mount (to stop the engine rocking) and use' the mounts on the chassis legs in a simler way to how your 1.0 is fitted

Edited by noddy1

yup its a G60 gearbox which is 02A and thats the one that bills got fitted

cool just looks a lot bigger than my 6 speed gti box and thats tight in there

cant fit a 1.8T 6speed box in the car :lol: the 6 speed box is even bigger :lol: this one is just a five speed . to be honest it does look absolutely monsterous there , but its alot smaller in real life , but weighs as much as it looks it would do in the pics :lol:

i swear im cursing it already , i was stripping down the rear beam to get the rear caliper carriers painted and the last carrier bolts that hold it onto the beam was seized , so i do the usual WD40 it and leave it for an hour or two and it still wouldnt shift , to a canister of gas later with a blow torch to heat the joints to try and crack it off , still nothing , and impact screwdriver with a 8mm hex bolt end on it and it still wouldnt budge , eventually i started to hack them off with a hacksaw the head off the bolt , got it half off and i got bored and got an allen key and put my full weight behind it and it only just came off ... the other bolt was the same total nightmare , that ate up most of the day that .

other news , ive give the gearbox a quick clean up , no point in painting it as im not building it to have the under side showing so ...

other things i have just remembered i need , a clutch master cylider for the pedal box

another part thats causing a total ball ache is the fly wheel , because im using a G60 gearbox i cant use a normal dual mass flywheel from a 20v engine , it needs to be a G60 flywheel or a mk3 golf 16v flywheel which is a total git to get ahold of :( and i dred spending £150 on a new one from euro carparts

is that a picture of craig running a short hair setup i see... omfg...

that would be correct :lol:

DSC00612.jpg

:lol:

on a good note , ive just managed to source a G60 flywheel and bolts :D

it make sense to paint the gearbox with hammerite just to protect it as they soon fur up and look sh ite and as you are moving battery to the boot some of it will be on show :huh:

:lol: true its more i cant be arsed getting right into it with a wire brush at the moment so :lol:

i know the feeling lol

it make sense to paint the gearbox with hammerite just to protect it as they soon fur up and look sh ite and as you are moving battery to the boot some of it will be on show :huh:

well i gave it one quick coat today so

DSC00629.jpg

the new handbrake cables , bleed screw and top mounts all arrived today , the bolts that hold the brake carriers to the hub should be in on friday :D