Gti Turbo

jacko1066

Has anyone turbo'd a 1.6 gti ?? and how much have they gained from it ?

I am stuck on what to do to the lupo

i have already bought a fair few supercharger bits inc the charger but i dont know wether i want to turbo the gti instead i have got a few prices for turbo's and management etc but i dont know where to get some uprated pistons and rods from. Could anyone point me in the right direction ??

The guy who will be fitting it all for me has reccomended doing the turbo conversion as this will see more gains , he builds track cars for a living and also does tubular manifolds. I was really impressed with the gains from pauls sport but just wanitng to know if anyone has turbo'd the gti to compare power gains

Thanks

Jamie

Edited by jacko1066

Has anyone turbo'd a 1.6 gti ?? and how much have they gained from it ?

I am stuck on what to do to the lupo

i have already bought a fair few supercharger bits inc the charger but i dont know wether i want to turbo the gti instead i have got a few prices for turbo's and management etc but i dont know where to get some uprated pistons and rods from. Could anyone point me in the right direction ??

The guy who will be fitting it all for me has reccomended doing the turbo conversion as this will see more gains , he builds track cars for a living and also does tubular manifolds. I was really impressed with the gains from pauls sport but just wanitng to know if anyone has turbo'd the gti to compare power gains

Thanks

Jamie

A propper GTi Turbo should see in the region of 250-300hp with the right parts.

a bit optomistic dont you think?

with every bit of the valve gear uprated and pistons rods headstuds and a lot of cash its do able but wont be much fun in a road car i wouldnt think

a bit optomistic dont you think?

, It could be done, I dont see why not , the vw small block engine is a cracking motor. 300 hp isnt optimistic at all.... take a look at the saxo boys the well known tuners can get up to 350 hp from a 1.6 16v. Would be alot more flexable in terms or weight vs a"boggo" 20vT to lupo conversion. The 1.6 Turbo would also rev alot more freely

Edited by 16v6n

, It could be done, I dont see why not , the vw small block engine is a cracking motor. 300 hp isnt optimistic at all.... take a look at the saxo boys the well known tuners can get up to 350 hp from a 1.6 16v. Would be alot more flexable in terms or weight vs a"boggo" 20vT to lupo conversion. The 1.6 Turbo would also rev alot more freely

Yes it could be done, but what would be the point.

Even in a straight line you'd have a hard time geting the power down, let alone the twisty bits.

And thats why the venom loop didn't last long :swerve:

400bhp is fun(i know just sold a s3 running that) but your always looking overyour shoulder and it brakes alot! leaving my lupo gti i have just got alone in the engine dept........ who does these turbo builds????

Edited by mrgarf

lmao 350bhp from a saxo??? lmao are you on crack? even if it had tht much it would no way be able to put it down!!

as said power from a basic turbo'd gti would be around 180-200bhp depending on what turbo etc of course!

On Crack? no , I think you'll find if you do some digging around that there are many 1.6's are pusing over proven 300hp..... many RS Turbo's running full steel bottom end and worked on CVH's heads , Honda Civic B16's and Also D16's (16v & 8v).

I have no doubt that VW 1.6 small block make easily make 300hp with the correct hardware.

Nobody as far as I'm aware has built a propper one and gone full blown, big turbo/ steel etc. Would be interesting to see one.

Turn up the boost!!!

On Crack? no , I think you'll find if you do some digging around that there are many 1.6's are pusing over proven 300hp..... many RS Turbo's running full steel bottom end and worked on CVH's heads , Honda Civic B16's and Also D16's (16v & 8v).

I have no doubt that VW 1.6 small block make easily make 300hp with the correct hardware.

Nobody as far as I'm aware has built a propper one and gone full blown, big turbo/ steel etc. Would be interesting to see one.

Turn up the boost!!!

u said 300bhp bhp from a saxo! u never mentions rs turbos or b16's!

to get 300bhp out a lupo 1.6 16v your talking 5 k+ in PARTS! plus setting up, installing then youve got issues of actually getting any of tht power tot ouch the floor!

why would you wana run tht much power in a loop! unless your running 4wd!

to get 300bhp out a lupo 1.6 16v your talking 5 k+ in PARTS! plus setting up, installing then youve got issues of actually getting any of tht power tot ouch the floor!

same reason the ford boys do cos ya can thats the only reason needed when you tune a car

As I said 300-350hp from a 1.6 16v saxo isnt a problem if you know what you are doing.

106 16v Engine

Saxo 1.6 16v Turbo

Pictures and Video

People would question why Bill Brockbank is running 500hp odd in an Ibiza .... so 300hp in a loop with correct suspension and engine build would be a nice setup, for fast road or track. .. but we digress.

Cheers for the reply guys

But after consideration going 1.8T now

Got a full golf damaged repairable for £1100 going to start stripping both cars down next week.

Just going to put a bigger turbo on maybe a KO4 a front mount , tubular manifold , full sytem , filter and a remap and see what i can pull from that

the gti engine , box , loom , ecu and other parts will be available in the new year

• 8 months later...

Personally i think the money you would spend on the 1.6 16v to get it up to 300hp would be the same to get a 20v turbo up to 350 - 450bhp, i think the 20v are a very could bench mark to start from as you can get performance parts easily where as turboing a 1.6 gti engine would be difficult as you would have to get parts "made" which can get very exspensive! lol

i mean a BAM engine is 225 on standard managment you can get the standard managment remapped and you should be pulling 270 ish from just a remap, and standard intercooler parts.

i was goin to do a 20v in my golf but went for nos instead! hehe

im sure you will deciede but if youve got a 20v "avalible" then rip it out with box and all management simple and cost effective!

Your problem with the 20V is that it is a heavier engine, and your unbalancing the car even more.

Ive completed my basic GTi engine build now, and run it for 500 miles or so. The car is coming back off the road in the next few weeks to get the turbo strapped to it. Im hoping for anything over 200 with a KO3. Everything inside the Gti engine should be fine for that, but Im also running ARP rod bolts and every other bearing and bolt has been replaced for brand new VW parts to be on the safe side!

The first part of the lupo GTi engine you're going to run into problems with is the head. The roller rockers aren't supposed to be good for more than around 215 or so - but until you try them you just dont know. This can be easily remedied by using the head off the older polo 6N head which doesn't use roller rockers and is alot stronger. It is almost a straight swap apart from one of the water ways in the head needs to be elongated.

Im going to use the roller rockers and see how it goes for now. When she's fitted and tuned Ill give some more feedback of reliabilty, longevity and power!