1.4 TDI owners - removing oil filter

I've done an oil change before and its straightforward.

But i've noticed on the Arosa the top of the oil filter has a black housing cap with a plastic nut mold ontop.

Are the 1.4 TDI oil filters an all-in-one type canister filter or those paper units that you remove??

If so can anyone tell me what that black plastic cap is and how to remove the TDI oil filter as just didn't want to try removing it the tradditional way by unscrewing the filter housing.

I'm 99% happy doing the oil change, but just want to check the correct removal procedure and steps before I break any plastic tops/casings on the oil.

Thanks guys :coffee:

Its very easy, the worst part is the damn under tray.

So asuming you have taken the sump plug out, all you need to do is turn the moulded on nut on the plastic cover and the top will come off.

Inside there is a paper type filter with a plastic bit which sticks down into engine. When you get the new one you will see what i mean.

Get a filter from VW, and they will supply you with a new seal for the plastic cap, which should come with the filter. Dont forget to get a new sump plug too, think its £1.

:)

Cracking stuff! the paper filter comes out of the top then? So no need to wrestle with the oil filter from underneath the car???

Should be quicker than I thought to do in that case!!

Might pop down to Seat this Friday to get all the parts then [:)]

• 3 months later...
Just came uppon this post, so did you manage to write a report on changing all filters etc. . . ?

Sadly when I did it, i was a silly boy and started it at 4pm in the afternoon one weekend, but as i did it during the winter months it got dark quicker than i thought so didn't have time to take pics etc...

However the link i attached for the mk4 tdi oil change, the Arosa TDI oil change is IDENTICAL!!

The only difference is that to get the top fiter housing off, its got a hexagonal nut instead to turn off and also the paper filter is shorter in height.

Fuel filter was the harder one I thought, as the little clips you pinch to take the hose off were a ****** to get back on :lol:

I'll create a guide when I'm doing it next time which will either be end of Next month or May which is when the oil change is around.

If you need any help/advice just give us a shout.

Sadly when I did it, i was a silly boy and started it at 4pm in the afternoon one weekend, but as i did it during the winter months it got dark quicker than i thought so didn't have time to take pics etc...

However the link i attached for the mk4 tdi oil change, the Arosa TDI oil change is IDENTICAL!!

The only difference is that to get the top fiter housing off, its got a hexagonal nut instead to turn off and also the paper filter is shorter in height.

Fuel filter was the harder one I thought, as the little clips you pinch to take the hose off were a ****** to get back on :lol:

I'll create a guide when I'm doing it next time which will either be end of Next month or May which is when the oil change is around.

If you need any help/advice just give us a shout.

Oh i see, no worries, was just searching around. Also, do you reset the "Service Now" warining that lights up in the dash?

Oh i see, no worries, was just searching around. Also, do you reset the "Service Now" warining that lights up in the dash?

Yep, reset that too :)

Have a search for resetting the service light on here, can't remember off the top of my head. It goes along the lines of holding the trip button down for 3 secs and turning the ignition or something??!! But it works and gets the servicing message off :)

TO turn it off you need to press and hold the button to reset your trip, then turn the key to ignition and keep it pressed until you see - - - on the trip, your trip will return once you have cleared the service light :)