Tyre Pressure

RozaTD

Hello Guys,

Im new to this site, found it through the wonders of Google!! I've had a Seat Arosa TDi for over 2 years now, and absolutely adore the car! However, my main problem has been how quickly I seem to be getting through tyres - @least 6/7 sets of front tyres in that time. Iv tried all sorts from Kumho right through to Continental Sport (and Winters, which by the way were horrendous). I've now got a pair of Yokohamaz on the front which seem to be more tractable in the wet.

I need some advice on what tyre pressure to use. I used to pop in 32 PSi in the front tyres and 30 in the back, but i noticed under hard-braking the car was inclined to skid. Also, the tyres seemed not to last v.long which also begun hurting my wallet. I drive a fair distance, approx. 200 miles per week commuting to work and back so I was wondering if anyone could point out what the best tyre pressure to use would be!! Any feedback will be greatly welcome.

Thanks.

P.S. will take sum pics and post as soon as the weather dries out!!

I usually use 32 and 30 PSi in my TDi too, although for higher/long distance speeds i up to 33/31, not a huge increase i know but any more and it feels too jittery :huh:

Ive been running them a bit lower recently, 30 front and 28 rear (what it says in the fuel flap) but its too low really, grip is good and the ride is better but it seems to wear the egdes off the tyres quite quick, especially if you push it round the bends a little.

How many mile do you say you get from the front tyres? i think they are heavy on tyres TBH, maybe its the weight at the front or i put it down to my driving. Standard models especially rely heavily on tyres for grip and control, most other cars have a better set up chassis than lupos/arosas so they are lighter on their tyres. If you see what i mean?

Id say i get about 14 - 15K on a set of front tyres, i dont think thats too bad really. Ive got two arosas so i do swap the wheels around every now and a again to even out the wear a bit so im not 200% on how many miles i get to a set. It helps if you keep a good check on the pressures though, i usually check mine every two weeks.

Do you have the yoko A539s on ATM? ive got those too, but ive just switched those from my TDi to my 1.0. They are good tyres, wear rate is ok but not brilliant and they can slip on cornering in the wet, but overall very good value for a good tyre. Ive now got conti premium contacts up front on the TDi, they wear very quickly but offer the best grip out of all the tyres ive had on the arosa. For good wear rates though the firestone firehawk 700's are great, ive got those on the rear. They have done 20K now and still look pretty new. But on the front they dont offer that much grip in the wet.

So i think your pressures are about right, do they tyres wear evenly? maybe worth getting the tracking done if your not getting too many Ks from a set.

Looking forward to the pics :D

Join the tyre eating club on the TDI's!

Mine goes through tyres like there's no tomorrow!

I find the TDI's are nose heavey and the torque puts a lot of strain on the tyres.

I got 12K from my Toyo's which i thought was rubbish really! To be honest its the torque that probably eats the tyres, so if the engine was so gutsy low down then i'm sure tyres would be fine.

Rears never seem to wear down really. just the fronts!

I've got 32psi front and 30psi rear and like yourself in the wet I find it skids under hard braking and understeers crazy on wet corners!!!

I do 450miles a week in my Arosa and run 32psi front and 30 rear. Seems to work best on long runs.

Higher tyre pressures don't forget reduces rolling resistance too but might make the tyres pic up more road imperfections.

Yeah i think your right, although the 3pot is designed for lightness ...

Toyo tyres are well known for fast wear rates so 12K might not be overly bad.

The rears last ages, i bought some firestones for the back ages ago, just because they are fine for a rear tyre and i dont usually replace them in sets of 4 anyway as i like to try a different tyre each time. So i got the firestones so they would last for ever :huh:

ATM ive got 31 front and 29 rear, seems to work well for the car really.

They do tend to understeer lots in the wet, the more pressure the more they seem to push wide too. My conti premiums are great in all conditions though, they dont step out much at all in the wet and not at all in the dry unless im going way way too quickly! the best tyre for the 185/55/14 size IMHO.

Too higher pressure and you have less grip since the tyre can not flex as much, it also gives a bumpy ride. Too low and again not much grip since the tyre is flexing too much and is mainly on its sidewalls in corners, gives poor steering feedback but a good ride.

So you need in between pressure for it to handle its best. 32/31 front and 30/29 back its fine i think.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply guys, iv bin extremely busy at work, no thanks to the HMRC blunder...and no i don't work for them, or the Government at all. But...I appreciate the feedback...its great to hear other people's opinion. I must admit, for this week's commute...I tried a little more PSi, 34 fronts and 30 backs to be precise. I know that 34 is more than recommended, but the car seems to run quite well. Under hard braking the car seems more composed and cornering seems better especially as I find I can feel the road better...if that makes sense.

However, im in a little bit of a dilemma...and this strictly is wandering off the post at a tangent but i desperately need some advice. I've been thinking for a while of buying a slightly bigger car (not too big as I really don't need that much extra space), and i've come across a Seat Ibiza TDi 130. And now im not sure because to afford the Ibiza with insurance would mean selling the Arosa...has anyone on here ever driven/sat in an Ibiza TDi who can let me know their opinion??

Any feedback appreciated, as always.

Thanks.

I might try my tyres a little higher, just to see what its like, but i usually like mine lower rather than higher. I do fine though different makes of tyres perform different with the same pressure.

Ive not been in a ibiza TDi so i carnt really help. I had an 05 reg 1.2 SX ibiza for 3 months for a laon car, i like it, quite a bit of space for a small car, nice to drive and well sepcced, but the ride is very harsh. Although I couldnt wait to get my Arosa back from the dealers, its just so much more fun. That was when i only had my 1.0 Arosa, and i still felt the slower smaller arosa more fun.

Just a quick question! how light is the steering on your TDI? mine is really really light, hence having the tyres higher pressure makes the steering even lighter!. Ive driven a couple of lupo TDis and they have much heavier steering as does my 1.0 Arosa. Its a bit strange :confused:

Well, i've found that the steering is heavier with the Yokohamas I have on at the moment, which I like to be honest as I can feel the road and, to be honest, I feel slightly reassured by virtue of a more weightier steering. Tho it might have something to do with the fact that my Arosa's a TDi, which inevitably means the front end is weighted down quite a bit for a small car. I did find with my old Conti Sport Contacts that they weren't as good in the wet as the Yokohamaz...in fact the steering felt very light, but to be honest, I didn really pay much attention to the PSi then, so that may have affected the handling and braking.

Mines a TDI too, but it the steering is very light, i suppose im used to it though and i can still feel the road through the wheels, its just way lighter than my 1.0 Arosa.

Yes your rght though, ive conits on mine ATM and its lighter with those on than with the yokos on the front.

Might try renewing my powersteering fluid, its a bit low anyhow