TDI owners MPG

g-man85

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to be proud of, but what is the worst MPG you've got from your TDIs?

My worst I think is 52 mpg. (I'm obviously not trying hard enough if you think you'll get 35!!!)

The last tank gave 58, my best yet.

Edited by jon_273

My van has got an average fuel consumption compooter on it so i can see in real time how much it uses. Here's a couple of tips i've noticed.

Don't stick to 70mph and think you're not using much fuel, at 70 it flippin drinks it. The best speed to drive at is in top gear going as slow as you can without labouring the engine, something like 45mph.

Don't put your foot down to maintain speed going up hill, let the car slow down, also going downhill let the car speed up.

My van does 61mpg travelling at between 55 - 65mph. it would do more if i slowed down a bit.

clocks.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o151/fl...cket/clocks.jpg

Edited by Percy2&Daffyd

But isnt doing 45 on a motorway illegal ;)

I know it does better MPG at around 60, but its quite boring driving so slowly. Although sometimes i dont mind it and do ocassionally sit at 60 and think im doing fantastic MPg and the needled bearly moves!

I carnt understand how i managed to get 74MPG doing 70-75 for about 180 miles non stop, i have never managed that mpg again since doing the same speed. Now at 70-75 i get about 68MPG.

An di did work it out right too, i filled it up, then set off and filled up again once i got home and got 74MPG.

Very odd.

Im not really one for trying to get good MPG, but i do sometimes, but get far too bored!

That's amazing mpg at that speed, i don't think my TDi was ever that good, allthough i am like you and only occasionally can be bothered to drive slowly.

As they say 'we're money rich time poor'

About your 74mpg trip, if you have the wind behind you it makes alot of difference, also if your journey was generally down hill it will use lots less, hills are a killer.

Yes your probably right, and i filled the car up whilst it was already up to running temp and then filled straight back up again once i was getting into my town, so its purely motorway MPG and no town work.

Someties on the motorway my MPG is crap (about 62MPG) which is bad for motorway driving and i only get 100 miles to every quater of a tank. And i get that with normal driving!

So sometimes it seems to be economical and other times it doesnt :wacko: