TDI owners MPG

g-man85

If you try a different fuel you'll need to run a at least a tank or so through before you'll start noticing the difference, not cheap! I tried Total Excelium the other day (still got some in the tank), I cant notice any difference over normal diesel from anywhere else - Total waste of money IMO. Shell V-power or BP Ultimate on the hand gives the car a real little kick up the backside that I definately notice!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Forte diesel treatment its called. I use forte flushes too when it has a service.

Really makes a difference if you have not used a fuel cleaner before.

I put it in the tank when it was on a quater, ran it until the light came one and drive it at high revs to get the fuel through quicker.

If you sat at like 70 in 4th for a while, and just keep the revs up through the drive but NOT acclerate hard. When you do floor it you really tell the difference that its done. Also if its choked up from a lot of town work then it will be slower and use more fuel.

I have to agree. When I put some of this flush in my tdi wow when next filled up it felt alot more powerfull defo worth the £10.

I do miss my tdi :-( I my ibiza i never get in the high 40's :(

Oh tesco fuel :wacko:

Not keen, although it could be worse, you could have gone to asda :blink:

Shell only for my car :)

Havent noticed it any different with V power, maybe every so slightly nippier but im probably just imagining it :lol: . Although its doing well MPG wise by the look of it. Will work it out when its gone.

I need to fill up tomorrow as i'm going to bottle it again!

Clocks read 348m now and it's not on the bottom yet. i got 29l in this time so...

54mpg and about 8.5p per mile.

Should i give it a go and see if i can squeeze another 30m from it? the light came on at 335m...

that would take me up to 60mpg again.

Matt.

The most ive had after the light came on was 56 miles. Although i was driving quite eco then and on a motorway too.

It seems about the average for the TDi is about 54-56ish then, anything better and your doing well id say.

Squeezing more miles from it won't increase your average fuel economy (unless of course you average over 60mpg for those extra miles). All it will do is mean that there will be less fuel in the tank than last time you filled up. So you will have actually used more than the 29L you put in last time.

It will also have a knock-on effect of reducing fuel economy over the next tank, unless you run it just as low as you are thinking of this time.

In my opinion a more accurate way of calculating fuel economy is to reset the trip counter when the fuel light comes on. Then go and fill up with whatever amount you like, providing it's enough to make the fuel light go out. Take a note of the mileage on the trip counter the next time the light comes on. That mileage is the mileage you have driven on whatever amount of fuel you filled up with last time.

This method relies on the fuel light always coming on at the same point, but I think it is a lot more accurate than the usual way of just seeing how much it takes to fill the tank to full again, especially if your fuel gauge is like mine and never goes to full. It also allows you to fill the expansion tank without having to re-fill it again to work out your economy!

Mine was Tesco, I only really go to Tesco as I get points. Sometimes Shell but its out of the way

Same here, however saying that each point is equal to 1p back in vouchers (unless you use them for the offers) so sometimes I get my diesel from Asda near my work as its 3-4p cheaper, but its nice getting points and Tesco's fuel seems ok to me so far with no issues.

Ok just worked out that using the Total Excelium I only managed to get 44mpg which is extra shocking as it was mostly motorway driving, costs so much more (£1.12/l), & if anything drops power. I've filled up with a £10 worth of normal Esso this morning & the car feels a 100 times better already, I should hopefully see 100 miles from it round town which still isn't brilliant but I dont drive like Im trying to save fuel.

I'm going to try Shell V-Power as did a lot of reading last night. I can get it for a 4p premium over my local fuel so at £1.20 a tank extra its worth it. It doesn't claim much power benefit, but its more to do with the cleaning/detergents.

Its a better fuel so going to try that over the next month to see if my car picks up.

According to some tech-bods on the net (or so claimed) some fuel additives do nothing and using them with cheaper fuel makes it roughly the same cost as filling up with a better quality fuel.

Shell I read is the best fuel in terms of detergents whereas BP Ulitimate claims more 'power' in terms of certane rating.

I got the figures in the pics using Tesco fuel. I'd filled up with that as I was running low and it was summat like 4p a litre cheaper than I'd seen nearby. Normally I use Shell, simply through convenience because there're stations at the end of my road and on the way to and from work :D I've put some Miller's additive in this tankful because I'd read many good things and it does seem to smoke less now but on the other hand I've been running late for work a few days and driven a tad more spiritedly than I do normally so maybe it was that. I haven't tried any uber diesel in yet but have used the more expensive Shell stuff in my father's Audi and it did seem to clean that out quickly, freed the throttle response up no end. I do love the 5 pot tdi btw B)

I'm going to try Shell V-Power as did a lot of reading last night. I can get it for a 4p premium over my local fuel so at £1.20 a tank extra its worth it. It doesn't claim much power benefit, but its more to do with the cleaning/detergents.

Its a better fuel so going to try that over the next month to see if my car picks up.

According to some tech-bods on the net (or so claimed) some fuel additives do nothing and using them with cheaper fuel makes it roughly the same cost as filling up with a better quality fuel.

Shell I read is the best fuel in terms of detergents whereas BP Ulitimate claims more 'power' in terms of certane rating.

Not gonna make any scientific claims but I think this is what I experienced. I think it gave my engine a decent clean and I've noticed the effects afterward with 'normal' diesel.

I'm running now on £10's of BP Ulitimate diesel as my tank had 1L or fuel left (lol) as Shell wasn't around.

This is to help finish the remaining old fuel so hopefully i won't have any crud/old fuel to dilute the properties of Shell V-power.

But i'll know more this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine has been doing about 55mpg since I last posted. That is until I had to make "progress" driving back from London (to Worcester) in the middle of the night this week.

I filled up in Greenwich and didnt hang about until getting back to Worcester. Theres still some in the tank but I think the light is gonna come soon and I've only done 230 miles which is gonna put me down at something like 35mpg I would imagine.

Hammering it does affect the MPG severely it seems. The old 1.0 petrol used to get roughly the same no matter how you drove it.

Nothing to be proud of, but what is the worst MPG you've got from your TDIs?

The worst ive ever had is 47MPG and best is 74MPG

Ive got to say hammering the TDI doesnt seem to make a huge difference in MPG i dont think.

On the last northeast meet drive out i only used a quater of a tank over about 125 miles or something, and that was me trying to keep up with GTis!

Although driver the TDi nicely and on everyday driving yuo should see about 57-58MPG. THats what im getting atm i think.

Although i do a lot of town driving and that really pulls the MPG down.

Edited by cardaft

Thats pooop! lol

Yeh got an arousal, red.... Just fitted HIDS and some cheap rh cups.

Just put £28 in so see what i get, always putting my foot down though so thats probably why :rolleyes:

Edited by biggaz