TDI owners MPG

g-man85

Mine is crap on fuel :(

Ive done 200 miles on the first half, not bad your thinking, but i put £6 in the expansion tank! so thats half a tank plus £6 to do 200 miles. I did used to get to 200 miles on the half easily just from full, not the expansion space too.

Is it broke im thinking, no idea why its not doing so well, only the weather, but its costing me £6 more than it did every 200 miles :wacko:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is crap on fuel :(

Ive done 200 miles on the first half, not bad your thinking, but i put £6 in the expansion tank! so thats half a tank plus £6 to do 200 miles. I did used to get to 200 miles on the half easily just from full, not the expansion space too.

Is it broke im thinking, no idea why its not doing so well, only the weather, but its costing me £6 more than it did every 200 miles :wacko:

Not doing well are we :lol:

My fuel consumption can vary massively depending on how sensitive I am to the throttle. :angry2:

Might be my driving i supose, although i dont tend to thrash it everywhere, so im really not sure.

Ive been doing a lot of town driving though, and my town driving is probably the least economical every when i think about it :lol:

ALthough on that recent long trip i did i still didnt get very good MPG, so im a bit dissapointed with it ATM, but it still performs as normal.

Anything i should check, change or something for a reason why my MPG might be low?? :confused:

I shouldnt go on really, its still doing better than most cars i guess, just not as well as i usually get from it. :rolleyes:

The expansion tank is basically part of the tank which is kept spare to allow tolerences for expansion during the hot and cold.

It stops the diesel from overfilling the neck if it expands. What the expansion tank can be done, is used to squeeze some extra diesel in there. However this is done by clicking and holding the black trigger inside the fuel filler cap. You'll hear as if some air is escaping, thus making room for extra fuel.

Problem is i wouldn't recommend it unless you were going to drive soon after you filled it, otherwise if the temperature rises the diesel will overflow as there's no space to expand.

Good though if you're doing a long journey and want an extra 2-3L of fuel to get you anohter 20-40 miles :)

The expansion tank is basically part of the tank which is kept spare to allow tolerences for expansion during the hot and cold.

It stops the diesel from overfilling the neck if it expands. What the expansion tank can be done, is used to squeeze some extra diesel in there. However this is done by clicking and holding the black trigger inside the fuel filler cap. You'll hear as if some air is escaping, thus making room for extra fuel.

Problem is i wouldn't recommend it unless you were going to drive soon after you filled it, otherwise if the temperature rises the diesel will overflow as there's no space to expand.

Good though if you're doing a long journey and want an extra 2-3L of fuel to get you anohter 20-40 miles :)

You can fit quite a lot of fuel in it actually, i think i did about 90 miles before the needle moved from full when i tried it on a long trip.

Although im not sure if using the expansion tank is messing with my gauge, since it seems to go down in stanges when i use that.

So im going to run it low, put a fuel treatment in then give it a bit of a drive around with that in then just fill up to the top, see what MPG i get next time.

You can fit quite a lot of fuel in it actually, i think i did about 90 miles before the needle moved from full when i tried it on a long trip.

Although im not sure if using the expansion tank is messing with my gauge, since it seems to go down in stanges when i use that.

So im going to run it low, put a fuel treatment in then give it a bit of a drive around with that in then just fill up to the top, see what MPG i get next time.

The last 2 times I have just got £10 of Morrisons fuel, I get around 120 miles, it works out to just over 55mpg. I blame Morrisons fuel and the cold weather :lol:

Last winter the fuel economy on my petrol took a bashing, that didn't like the cold, but at least it warmed up within a reasonable time!

The last 2 times I have just got £10 of Morrisons fuel, I get around 120 miles, it works out to just over 55mpg. I blame Morrisons fuel and the cold weather :lol:

Last winter the fuel economy on my petrol took a bashing, that didn't like the cold, but at least it warmed up within a reasonable time!

yeah what the hell is that all about! my tdi dosent get warmed up for like a year, where as my last car(a petrol) did really quickly! Its annoying because i dont like going into any kind of high revs when the engines cold!

yeah what the hell is that all about! my tdi dosent get warmed up for like a year, where as my last car(a petrol) did really quickly! Its annoying because i dont like going into any kind of high revs when the engines cold!

Yeah spot on - I've had a petrol and a diesel and the diesel is so much slower at getting to temperature.

Just got my arosa, brimed the tank till i could get no more in then i drove

and drove

and drove

290 miles later the fuel light is on, thats crap lol!!!!!!

yeah mate mine is like that. im quite disapointed with the mpg too but it still saves me loads compared to my last car. theres loads left after the fuel light tho!

Ive been doing a load of short trips this week, maybe 10 short trips a day, 1 or 2 miles if that so the temp needle doesnt even move. But the fual gauage moves a lot, think its all the cold running and in traffic etc. SO ive not filled up for two weeks (which i think is a record for me :lol: ) because ive been doing a load of short runs, but its about dur for a fill up now.

I have to say MPG isnt that great, i get an averaqge of about 54-58MPG, when i first got it i was expecting a lot more. I mean our 1.9DCi scenic would do about 50-52MPG average and ive had an TDi altea up to 60MPG with mixed driving - town, motorway.

You have to be really carefull with the accelerator, ease off early and not use the brakes!, not do many short/cold starts to get over 60MPG. On longer runs though 65-70MPG is average i bet, ive had 74MPG twice but not seen that figure in a while now :wacko:

Remember all, using brakes costs more money, not only in brake pads, but tyres, and largly when looking to get good MPG it uses a tone more fuel.

THe last time i got good MPG it was because i was lifting off early and i usually dip the clutch then slow with the brake (bad habbit i guess) but leaving it in gear and just coasting to the junctions really made a difference in MPG.

Ive also been trying out if doing 30MPH in 3rd gear is more economical than doing it in 4th :huh:

Carnt quite decide on that one though :lol:

Guys - remember diesels take a lot longer to heat up than the conventional petrol engine!!! It usually takes me about 3miles of easy driving to get the water temp needle just to move! But also my fan has only ever come on in my car 3 times in 18 months of ownership!

Cardaft - if the traffic is moving a constant speed 4th is more economical, but if theres bends and you're likely to be accelerating/braking a bit then 3rd will be better.

An experienced truck driver told me its more economical to rev a bit higher in a lower gear then skip a gear. As going through all the gears to accelerate actually uses more fuel. Reason being when accelerating in 4th, the engine takes longer to accelerate to the required speed so the time the engine is 'under load' is longer in which the fuel pump and injectors are trying to provide more fueling, hence a lot of smoke from derv's under low revs when the turbo is trying to boost!

Once again got another 400 miles out of the tank :D

Well essentially 408 miles to 29.5L as I tank my measurements from the first cut-off click now.

Using that, my average for the tank was 62.87MPG which I'm very happy with as that includes some brisk motorway miles this weekend to clear some cobwebs and also some playtime ^_^

Now trying this weeks tank on Total's 'super diesel' aka Excellium. In fact its costing me 2p a litre cheaper than my local Tesco's so seeing if I can get more miles out of a tank/notice a difference which they claim (or your money bank on the 3p per litre premium).

But I reckon with some non-adventurous driving this week and I can hold back 450miles is easy street! :D

Well I read the article about how the Lupo 3L TDI works and how the chap managed 101MPG from it.

He averaged 51mph and the 3L disengages the gear (essentially coasts). Plus it always changes up early and if sitting in traffic for more than 4 minutes, it turns off.

But it is PAINFUL changing gear at 1500rpm haha!

Isnt coasting bad for MPG though, since slowing in gear doesnt use any fuel but in neutral it does :confused:

Our caravelle auto is the same, i always thought it wa sodd since generally coasting is a bad thing to do.

Whats the most MPG anyone has ever had from a TDi?

Lets have a little competition, doesnt matter what type of driving or if its over a full tank.

Ive had 74MPG on two ocasions over 200 motorway miles each time.

However ive never been able to get near that lately :confused:

10P a mile!!???!!! thats pretty bad really.

My 1.0 Arosa is a 10P a mile car, thats usually around 42-44MPG.

Your TDi carnt be that bad on fuel surely? Although it is remapped i suppose.

Well after a good bit of driving, running the fuel low and using a fuel system cleaner my MPG seems to be on the way up again :D . Not worked it out but i can tell its not using as much fuel lately.

10P a mile!!???!!! thats pretty bad really.

My 1.0 Arosa is a 10P a mile car, thats usually around 42-44MPG.

Your TDi carnt be that bad on fuel surely? Although it is remapped i suppose.

Well after a good bit of driving, running the fuel low and using a fuel system cleaner my MPG seems to be on the way up again :D . Not worked it out but i can tell its not using as much fuel lately.

What fuel system cleaner did you use?

What fuel system cleaner did you use?

I use Forte diesel treatment its called. I use forte flushes too when it has a service.

Really makes a difference if you have not used a fuel cleaner before.

I put it in the tank when it was on a quater, ran it until the light came one and drive it at high revs to get the fuel through quicker.

If you sat at like 70 in 4th for a while, and just keep the revs up through the drive but NOT acclerate hard. When you do floor it you really tell the difference that its done. Also if its choked up from a lot of town work then it will be slower and use more fuel.

10p a mile is very cheap for 180 ft/lb of torque and 114bhp! ;)

I can get it down to 8p per mile but where is the pleasure in that :)

Filled up again,

25L to 310 miles, works out just over 8p a mile with £1.07 per litre.

140 miles done today:

30 mins sitting in Bristol traffic followed by 80 swift miles

360miles to 27(ish)litres, by my working out thats about 60mpg. That was mostly driving steadly and changing gear at about 2k rpm, with a little spirited acceleration now and then.

I think i could get it better over longer journeys abviously as i tend to only do 20miles in a journey.

Matt.

Has anyone run bio dieael in a 3cylinder TDi yet? Can you comment on what ratio mix you use please as i have a filling station right near me!

Many thanks,

Matt.