TDI owners MPG

g-man85

Right guys i decided to take the plunge and test the Arosa for its MPG. We all know it has a 35L tank, which isn't great.

I've done a lot of motorway miles at 65mph but also a few short journeys and the odd traffic queue.

However managed to squeeze 495 miles using 33L of Diesel which works out as 68.1mpg average.

Not bad ey especially for a remap'd TDI.

So non-remapp'd owners I expect might get slightly more. Fuel light came on however around 420miles, but the bottom end of the gauge (when the needle doesn't move) has around 3L left, but don't take this for granted.

What we want is averages from tanks guys! No short journeys as if I took the short journeys out and traffic i'm sure i was average 70mpg+ on my main stretch of road.

Anyone get more than 500miles from a tank? :shades:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What fuel do yo use?

I have been trying really hard with this last tank to see what economy I could get (the last tank I was booting it and I only got 53mpg).

Filled up with 27L of Shell Diesel Extra as usual and trundled to work and back for a week, all was going well until I had just under half a tank, I had to fill up with Esso (first time ever) as I was going on a 300 mile round trip that evening. I put 15L of Esso in and sat at 70mph for about 2 hours and then some hilly twisty 50 roads for another hour or so, still driving economically. I did the same on the way back and was surprised how much the needle was moving.

Anyway fuel ecomomy was 57mpg, I was expecting over 60 at least, it usually averages 70mpg at 70mph as I've measured it before.

Don't know if it was the different fuel, my driving, or something else :wacko: . I will go and fill up with shell and try again.

Also a remapped TDi should do better fuel economy that a standard one as it produces more torque, meaning you need to press the accelerator less to drive it :shades:

I just use Tesco's normal diesel.

Basically i do most of my miles sitting at 65mph, 2200rpm (approx) and thats it. With my boost guage is hoovers around 4psi of boost.

With some enthusiastic driving, i get around 48mpg.

But to get my 68mpg it meant i rarely went above 2500rpm when driving. Change gears around 1500rpm-haha! Was a painful drive.

Now doing the same this week with 15% bio diesel to see if that makes any difference, as my engine is a lot smoother running on bio diesel.

I've personally never switched fuels to see the difference, usually get Tescos as i get clubcard points and its the nearest to me

I just use Tesco's normal diesel.

Basically i do most of my miles sitting at 65mph, 2200rpm (approx) and thats it. With my boost guage is hoovers around 4psi of boost.

With some enthusiastic driving, i get around 48mpg.

But to get my 68mpg it meant i rarely went above 2500rpm when driving. Change gears around 1500rpm-haha! Was a painful drive.

Now doing the same this week with 15% bio diesel to see if that makes any difference, as my engine is a lot smoother running on bio diesel.

I've personally never switched fuels to see the difference, usually get Tescos as i get clubcard points and its the nearest to me

Tesco fuel!

I always use shell diesel extra, i find when i did use tesco with my old car (petrol) the fuel went down much quicker than paying a little more for shell which lasted loner. So now i always use shell.

Ill have a go at what MPG i can get, the last tank i managed to get 59MPG, so i was impressed with that, although thats very mixed driving - town, country, motorway.

I very rarely sit at 65mph, and try not to, i dont think it likes sitting at 65 since it rumbles around there. 60 or 70 it likes more, so i just sit at 70mph.

I did managed to get 74MPG twice by just sitting at 70mph for 180 miles though. And im doing the same trip again next week so ill post up how my MPG gets on then :)

I never really look at what revs i change gear at, just when it sounds right i guess, obviously it depends how im wanting to drive at the time but when trying to get good MPG i usually change around 1700 i think.

Although at themoment im doing a lot of town driving so it really kills the MPG, so im looking forward to a nice long drive next week :D

Hummm I dunno what mpg I get But I always put about £25 -- £30 in the thank and the light comes on around 350 miles ish

76 MPG on Sainsburys diesel

Cruise set to 60mph 300 mile Motorway trip.

Normal mixed driving, light foot, change at 2000ish gets 64 MPG

Enthusiastic driving gets 50MPG

:o My normal driving never gest anywhere near that, which is the stated combined figure.

Ill try harder ;)

I know that you are supposed to keep the revs low to get higher MPG but if you change gear at or before 2000rpm you don't get any turbo.

I've been working on the assumption that changing gear at 2500 - 3000rpm is more efficient because you get the extra power from the turbo without having to inject any/much extra fuel. Am I misguided?

I know that you are supposed to keep the revs low to get higher MPG but if you change gear at or before 2000rpm you don't get any turbo.

I've been working on the assumption that changing gear at 2500 - 3000rpm is more efficient because you get the extra power from the turbo without having to inject any/much extra fuel. Am I misguided?

Im not sure on that really, sometimes when i try to drive economically it doesnt work and it just uses loads. Then when i drive it faster it doesnt use that much fuel.

So its a bit odd, driving to get good MPG i usually change gear at around 2000rpm.

3000rpm is quite high for a diesel so im not sure how that would effect MPG.

Although aparently accelerating quicker in a lower gear is more economical than accelerating slower when going though the gears.

Well ive done 420 miles over the last 3 days, as you can expect most of it (about 380 miles) was on the motorways. Also had quite a few cold starts and short runs, stuck in traffic and things.

And i got 62 MPG.

Im quite dissapointed with that TBH :huh:

I wasnt driving fast, sat around 70-75ish on the motorways, so id have expected a little more, atleast 68MPG.

Im still not sure if its just the weather (it was very damp and rained all the way there very heavily) or if its something with my car since its been using slightly more recently.

Still though its still good MPG, wouldnt have got anywhere near that MPG with any of our other cars, which all seem to do about 40MPG.

So it was £31 to do 420 miles.

i love my little arosa, its MPG is fantastic..

Its a shames its going to leave me soon and a Golf 1.9 TDI GT will be taking its place... i hope i get as good MPG!

i just need something a little bigger (though a golf is about 4x the size hehe) and something that can go round corners ;)

i love my little arosa, its MPG is fantastic..

Its a shames its going to leave me soon and a Golf 1.9 TDI GT will be taking its place... i hope i get as good MPG!

i just need something a little bigger (though a golf is about 4x the size hehe) and something that can go round corners ;)

Hmm MPG on the golf will be down quite a bit i should think!

haha, you mean the rolly polly ride or the understeer!

Its not too bad, just get some better make tyres and its super :D

Get some springs if you want less roll too, although i like the roll :) its not like its exessive anyway, ive driven cars with much much more roll to the suspension!

Edited by cardaft

Noooo the roll IS exessive hehe, do you ever get the chance to drive a REAL drivers car? ;)

I get into our Renault Sport Clio R27 and it just sticks to the road like glue! its a breath of fresh air compaired on my Seat.

But you could be right with the tyres, i dont think it has very good ones on it at the moment

Noooo the roll IS exessive hehe, do you ever get the chance to drive a REAL drivers car? ;)

I get into our Renault Sport Clio R27 and it just sticks to the road like glue! its a breath of fresh air compaired on my Seat.

But you could be right with the tyres, i dont think it has very good ones on it at the moment

:lol: I suppose it all depends on what your used to, i have driven lots of different types of cars though so i know it rolls a fair bit for a modern car, but im used to it now.

Your renault is a totally different car though isnt it, they are built for different things. If you had to do a 400 mile trip in a day which would you take? the TDi would probably be best.

But then again an country thrash and the clio would be in its emement.

But my Arosa does everything I need it to, and its fun to drive too, or atleast it is to me.

Im sure you wont have any problems selling it though, they go like hot cakes at the right price.

I had a rethink why the MPG will be so bad, becaus ei used the expansion space, and then filling it up i only guessed how much i got in last time, so its probably false MPG figures i got.

Plus lots of traffic jams and really heavy rain, for somereason it does worse MPG if the air is damp!

Does anyone else find that?

I had a rethink why the MPG will be so bad, becaus ei used the expansion space, and then filling it up i only guessed how much i got in last time, so its probably false MPG figures i got.

Plus lots of traffic jams and really heavy rain, for somereason it does worse MPG if the air is damp!

Does anyone else find that?

Perhaps thats why my MPG is always crap up here in Scotland :D

Doing 60mph and keeping below 2300 revs (turbo cut in ?) I got 420 miles for 27 litres which is 70.72mpg. But i was bored to tears and overtaken by a couple of lorries on the motorway. Back driving in my normal fashion I got 320 miles to 25 litre which is 58.19mpg, which is quite good for mixed driving at speed most of the time. My car is getting serviced in the next couple of weeks too, so I will see then if that makes a differance.

Perhaps thats why my MPG is always crap up here in Scotland :D

Doing 60mph and keeping below 2300 revs (turbo cut in ?) I got 420 miles for 27 litres which is 70.72mpg. But i was bored to tears and overtaken by a couple of lorries on the motorway. Back driving in my normal fashion I got 320 miles to 25 litre which is 58.19mpg, which is quite good for mixed driving at speed most of the time. My car is getting serviced in the next couple of weeks too, so I will see then if that makes a differance.

turbo cut in is about 2100 isnt it? i forget lol

Im going to have to try much much harder arnt I.

I blame the car, im sure its doing something funny :lol:

Probably just my driving though, in my defense i do now do a lot of town driving, which the MPG hates!

My MPG varies too, but hopefully when I get a full major service with all the filter changed and my new wheels/tyres on I can look forward to a slightly higher mpg.

I got around 50-52mpg running on around 85% bio-diesel which isn't bad, but it is only a straight 92p a litre compared to £1.05 a litre so the saving is immense!!

Only problem with Biodiesel is that this morning it was frosty so i had to get some diesel to make it around 50% so its not straining the fuel pumps as biodiesel starts to 'cloud' at low temps and makes cold starting harder.

• 2 weeks later...

well i did a 400 mile round trip the other night, i kept it to 70 all the way, jut under 2.5k and i did 396 miles to the full tank..

cant work out what that i lol if anyone would care to enlighten me

well i did a 400 mile round trip the other night, i kept it to 70 all the way, jut under 2.5k and i did 396 miles to the full tank..

cant work out what that i lol if anyone would care to enlighten me

Ahhh you see to work out the real MPG it depends on how many litres you used.

I.e to work it out, how many litres of fuel did you have to fill the car up to the max?

The number of litres required to re-fill the tank to the max will determine how many miles per gallon you got :coffee:

As you can actually get an extra 50-80 miles from the fuel warning light to about 1-2L from empty :lol:

I'm guessing thats around 62-65mpg but really does depend on the quantity of fuel used to refill her!

I think i'm averaging about 70mpg at the moment on my biodiesel at 2.1 krpm on the motorways :lol: