Cruise control on 1.4 TDI's

The Orignal modder replys at last, Thanks for the comments Mr B at least we managed to get there in the end....... :coffee:

I will finish my wiring of to moz once i have bought some heat shrink and stuff got my wire 2day and some heat proof kopex stuff, going to run it the same way that jon did but instead of coming across the back of the bulkhead i will go left above the brake servo and through in to that pluminum chamber (where the wiper motor sits) and yes i know thats not how to spell it lol.

then run the wires to the ecu in the same heat proof plastic stuff this should give a good mechanical protection for the wires also from the elements, will take some pics and get them up providing that the weather holds out for me :wacko:

Again thanks to all especically "Mr B, Cardaft and Jon"

Maxiumum Respect!

hehe

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jon you had any luck mate? did you get vagcom to turn it on ?

My VAG COM cable came earlier on today. It took me a while to figure out how to use the VAG COM software as I've never used it before. However, it actually only takes seconds to enter the code to activate it!

I went out to try it and it didn't work, then realised I had not plugged in the temporary +12v supply I'm getting from the cigarette lighter, plugged that in and it worked :D :D

After that I drove straight to the dealer and ordered the stalk :lol:. I just need to figure out how to remove the steering wheel, how did you do this Gazza?

Once the stalk comes I will wire that up take the +12 from the brake switch as Mr B. says in the other thread. I also need a grommet for that hole :wacko:

My VAG COM cable came earlier on today. It took me a while to figure out how to use the VAG COM software as I've never used it before. However, it actually only takes seconds to enter the code to activate it!

I went out to try it and it didn't work, then realised I had not plugged in the temporary +12v supply I'm getting from the cigarette lighter, plugged that in and it worked :D :D

After that I drove straight to the dealer and ordered the stalk :lol:. I just need to figure out how to remove the steering wheel, how did you do this Gazza?

Once the stalk comes I will wire that up take the +12 from the brake switch as Mr B. says in the other thread. I also need a grommet for that hole :wacko:

With the Stalk you dont need to take the +12v as the stalk uses the normal connections for the indicators and lights so should already have the +12v present hence the you get the block where you just connect to the internal loom.

Right removing the steering wheel is easy, BUT removing the Airbag is an Extreamly fiddly job! you have to rotate your steering wheel 90 degress so the two little holes on the back of it are at the top and bottom, next you need to get a screw driver in the hole and push the screw driver in and pull the airbag towards you. i struggling for around 20mins to do this as its EXTREAMLY fiddly! and frustrating, i didnt remove the batt as theres a yellow connector under the steering cowling just unplug this dont worry about the air bag light coming on as you have vagcom. once you remove the airbag get your hand behind and unplug the 2 connections one for horn and the airbag

its hard to explain how to get it of just a case of fiddling around with it, maybe if you pop to a "stealer" dealer they might just whip it out for you but once its out make sure you mark where the steering wheel is at present as once you take of its hard to put back on and line up, wot i did was put it all back together without the airbag went for a drive to check alingment once i was happy with the alingment did the 24mm bolt back up and put the airbag back in making sure to push it on with even pressure.

Also i got to get mine wired hehe, hopefully the stalk will function correctly! as in the 12v feed and the switch wires ETC but only will be able tell once i test the wiring via vagcom

Thanks

To take the airbag off you need to lever off a big circlip thing. Put a screwdriver in the holes at the back of the steering wheel and push the clip towards the centre of the wheel and it should pop out a bit. Do the same in the hole on the other side. Voila. Might be a bit tricky but you should get it.

Nice work guys, now figure out how to fit it to a GTI. :coffee::lol:

Edit: Beaten to it. Blast!

Edited by Philplop

To take the wheel off you need to lever off a big circlip thing. Put a screwdriver in the holes at the back of the steering wheel and push the clip towards the centre of the wheel and it should pop out a bit. Do the same in the hole on the other side. Voila. Might be a bit tricky but you should get it.

Nice work guys, now figure out how to fit it to a GTI. :coffee::lol:

haha i replyed first :shades:

Good point about the stalk having +12v, thats one less thing to think about!

So when you were driving the car with no airbag was the airbag warning light on? And this is easy to reset with VAG COM? (I only have the shareware version)

Thanks

Good point about the stalk having +12v, thats one less thing to think about!

So when you were driving the car with no airbag was the airbag warning light on? And this is easy to reset with VAG COM? (I only have the shareware version)

Thanks

yes mate it was on, and it should be easy to clear,

got to Airbags,

check faults

clear faults

and that should be it me thinks

jsut make sure you connect it back up as the fault wont clear :D hehe :coffee:

Edited by Gazza

Ok, thanks for the replies, I'll give it a go when the stalk arrives :).

Philly Fast Fingers, better watch it if you want to keep that caption :P

hehe yeah i will mate, take care

will update 2moz

Right ive Ran into a problem,

wired up all the ecu and stuff to the stalk enabled it in vagcom ETC

BUT the stalk doesnt seem to be working, i thought maybe something else so i tested the actual output of the stalk to see if theres any voltage on the SET and ENABLE wires but there was NOTHING!

so tomorrow i will put 12v to the SET and ENABLE and see if this works :wacko:

02072008030.jpg

02072008031.jpg

02072008033.jpg

02072008034.jpg

02072008036.jpg

02072008037.jpg

Also tried to use block 22 to check see if there is anything there and there seems to be nothing at all so i think the next port of call is the two switchs with 12v and see if that enables the cruise.

Update,

Right managed to fin the install but doesnt work, i have read the measure blocks via VAg Com and the stalk seems to be doing nothing. So i tried it with a volt meter to see if i get any voltage but nothing.

So now looking into maybe a 5th wire for the stalk power or something similar

maybe bridge on to one of the wires which will then give the stalk its power are well not to worry sure i will get there in the end me hopes

Mate I fitted the stalk today and have just had the exact same problem! Had the multimeter on the stalk connections and there is no +12v output on any of them.

I also measured the blocks on vag-com and they don't change, where previously the values responded to pressing the set/resume buttons.

I have looked at all the connections to the stalks and I can only find one terminal out of all the plugs that does not have a wire in it (on the left hand side).

I'm stuck for ideas now, might have do remove the stalk and get a multimeter across it to see where it needs the +12v from.

it sucks, ive noticed on other retro fit kits that theres 5 wires instead of 4 the 5th wire is connected to the brake switch for the live feed for the stalk so ive emailed a couple of people to see if i can "add" this wire to the kit thats installed,

this is the prob when no one else has done you get these potentional exspensive problems lol

trying to find out why the stalk only has the 4 connections and not the 5. i think if we can find out why then we can mod the stalk to have the +12v im sure we will get there mate,

Save you taking the airbag of and stuff just pull the connection of the back of the stalk to test that should be good enough to test for voltage

Edited by Gazza

Yeah, the first time I do anything I always seem to run into loads of unexpected problems!

I was just thinking, either there is a single wire running up the stalk to the buttons carrying a +12v feed, or maybe we are supposed to out put +12v onto one of the 4 connections on the stalk.

If you look at the wiring guide in the other thread:

1. (white) ECU 46 cruise on/off

2. (Blue) ECU 45 Resume

3. (red) ECU 44 Set

4. (Black) ECU 14 Enable cruise (& connect to ignition 12V for stalk)

maybe only 1,2 and 3 connect to the stalk, and we have to wire up the last connection on the stalk and number 4 to +12v ourselves. I'm going to check the connections on the stalk again with the multimeter and see if I can figure out how it's wired.

Edited by jon_273

yeah maybe number 4 has to be connected to a 12v feed, as my friend mentioned when he used to retro fit the kits he had to splice into one of the wires so maybe if we splice into this wire and put +12v it will give the stalk its feed but will also send +12v to the ecu all the time,

would this be ok?

i emailed Ross-Tech to see if they could help but they only offer tech support to there "customers" so will get my mate at Volks to ask the question for me unless you or i solve before hand

Edited by Gazza

Yeah, the first time I do anything I always seem to run into loads of unexpected problems!

I was just thinking, either there is a single wire running up the stalk to the buttons carrying a +12v feed, or maybe we are supposed to out put +12v onto one of the 4 connections on the stalk.

If you look at the wiring guide in the other thread:

1. (white) ECU 46 cruise on/off

2. (Blue) ECU 45 Resume

3. (red) ECU 44 Set

4. (Black) ECU 14 Enable cruise (& connect to ignition 12V for stalk)

maybe only 1,2 and 3 connect to the stalk, and we have to wire up the last connection on the stalk and number 4 to +12v ourselves. I'm going to check the connections on the stalk again with the multimeter and see if I can figure out how it's wired.

Got your PM Gazza

Reckon Jon is right, maybe the black wire needs to connect to 12v & ECU 14.

Before doing this though Jons idea of metering the switches on the stalk is a good one. ( to be on the safe side)

Check that white blue & red short to black each in turn when the relevant switch is closed.

The fact that there is no 12v is why reading block 22 shows nothing.

reckon your nearly there.

Phil

I'm going to meter the switches first thing tomorrow as the cars are all away for the night now.

Also, to reset the airbag light do you have to scan the Airbag Controller?

When I put the steering wheel and airbag back on I forgot to connect the yellow connector back up, so now the warning light is on :blush:. I've scanned for fault codes but nothing comes up, and I'm aware of some problems caused by scanning the Airbag controller on other VW's.

EDIT: When fitting the stalk today I noticed if fouled the cowelling(sp?) slightly. When pulling the stalk forward to flash someone it wasn't returning to its original position and the headlights were staying on.

P1010733.jpg

P1010736.jpg

You can see the slight difference between the CC stalk and the original stalk here:

differencejpg.png

I used a modelling file to re-shape the cowelling and stalk and it doesn't touch any more :):

P1010739.jpg

Edited by jon_273

Well with the help of Jon ive got cruise working on mine too. Cheers jon :D

Ive got the same set up as jon had, for now, with a spare heated rear window button acting as the set button.

Ill get a stalk ordered soon and have it in properly. It makes driving so much more of a doddle though! I love it, a nice bit of extra kit :D

I hope you find out the problem with the stalks soon.

Right Added the +12v to the black wire on the loom and its fully functioning accelerates and turn of when you press the clutch or brake so it works !!!!!!

Thanks to everyone again just finished wiring up like 10mins ago now to got to put all of it back together lol but yeah it DEFO works

now people can get theres on without any problems

thanks guys

great news.

well done.

Pressing set when in cruise should decelerate & hold new speed.

holding resume when in cruise should accelerate & then hold new speed.

when braking, for say a roundabout or bend, it cancels cruise, but pressing resume later, should accelerate gently back to previous set point.

Just to clarify the cruise stalk kit part number is 7D0 - 998 - 527 £65 ?

is that right.?

Phil

I checked the connections with the multimeter and they were as I suspected, glad we have sorted it!

Where did you both get your +12v feed from? I was going to take it from the brake pedal switch, so I removed it to get at the connector but ended up breaking the mechanism inside when re-fitting it (they are notorious for doing this, as I have just found out!) So now I have no brake light or cruise control :angry2:

Yes, the part number is 7D0 988 527 :)

i took my feed from my indicator stalk feed i think it was a brown/blue wire on the right side near the ignition barrel then i run an inline fuse down to the fuse board (easy access) and put a 5amp fuse in to be safe :D

will take some pics tomoz after i fit my coilovers, and put all the stuff back together

Thanks again everyone

jon now you can ask about a "how To" just make sure you mention all names that helped :D please

hi guys, just been pointed at this thread..

how much is the stalk from vw and also the vagcom gubbins, is it just a lead and some software? if so, is the software easily accessible?

im used to digital elephants..

hi guys, just been pointed at this thread..

how much is the stalk from vw and also the vagcom gubbins, is it just a lead and some software? if so, is the software easily accessible?

im used to digital elephants..

No offence mate but all the information is here in the thread why cant you just read,

hopefully will be making a "how to" thread soon