as the old lupo gti um

and a convertiable interesting

Atomica

Edited by atomica

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh dear.................. and car manufacturers wander why they cant sell any cars. ffs put smaller wheels on it at least for a a start that thing looks retarded on wheels that big, those proportions are all wrong.

on the upside the overall shape isnt that bad though, and thats the only redeeming feature i cant find apart from the mid engine bit.

No the reason no one is selling cars is because they a to££ers selling them. I want a new car so went to VW after 3 hours they told me I had no chance of getting what I wanted (26 week wait and they weren't interested in giving me a deal). Fiat ( hiss hiss but they make decent cars and I want a change) still did not want to give me a deal.

Assholes I would have got a new car if they would give me anywhere near the deal I wanted.

Ford took the 'list price or sod off' attitude very early on in the current 'crisis'. After all, it's all about people without the cash to buy a car not being able to get decent finance. It's all about saving...

A friend of mine went to the Audi Garage near us and drove away in a brand new A4 cab 2.0T quattro Sline (special Edition) for 6k under the list price, with a shed load of extras.

It took him 3 hours to haggle it but it shows you can get the deal if your REALLY try.

- production in Europe (yay! - so long as it's not the Spanish plant as it's record with the Fox and the old Polo was a disaster...)

Wish you knew what you were talking about here mate, the Fox has never been built in Spain. All of them are built in Brazil.

BTW Can you tell me what problems the Polo's built over here had? TA :)

Wish you knew what you were talking about here mate, the Fox has never been built in Spain. All of them are built in Brazil.

BTW Can you tell me what problems the Polo's built over here had? TA :)

I know the Fox is Brazil only.

Most of the UK Polos were built in the Spanish Pamplona plant. These had terrible quality problems in the early production run - I don't know if they were ever fully resolved. Early 2002 and 2003 Polos have a non-aero rear wiper and a VW badge on the steering wheel with a blue backgrond (this changed to black later on) -- these are the early Spanish cars and are to be avoided at all costs. As a past owner of one, I can attest to this.

The Polo GT and E? (the cheapest one) were built in the Bratislava plant in Slovakia (production had remained there throughout for other markets). These have fantastic built quality. Aside: the local supply chain of this shared production run is the reason why the range-topping GT had a solid rear seat while lessor, Spanish-built models had the expected split folding rear seat.

Some Polos were also built in Wolfsburg, but AFAIK, no right-hand drive ones.

If you want an insight into some of the root causes of the poor quality of the Spanish plant, have a read of this:

http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/eiro/2006/0.../es0605039i.htm Shortly after this, more of the Polo production moved back to Slovakia, as I mention above.

If the staff have that mindset, no wonder they're failing to screw the cars together properly, - after all, it's the same design with tehsame tooling irresepctive of plant location so problems with quality can only be ascribed to attidudes of operatives on the shop floor.

Edited by dxg

I know the Fox is Brazil only.

Most of the UK Polos were built in the Spanish Pamplona plant. These had terrible quality problems in the early production run - I don't know if they were ever fully resolved. Early 2002 and 2003 Polos have a non-aero rear wiper and a VW badge on the steering wheel with a blue backgrond (this changed to black later on) -- these are the early Spanish cars and are to be avoided at all costs. As a past owner of one, I can attest to this.

I knew there had been problems with the staff in the plant here, but didn't know they were that bad as to affect the cars.

A very close friend of mine has one of those Polo's you are talking about and has had no problems in 60.000 miles tho :confused:

I've had a dig through my computer. Here's a list of the things that we wrong with my Spanish built 9N Polo - it's a cut and paste job, so bear with me...

Drivetrain:

• Intermittent screeching/grating from rear brakes when applied in reverse and going slowly (e.g. reversing out of parking space)

Suspension:

• Severe steering shudder at high speeds. Felt unsafe to drive on motorway. Could not relax grip on steering wheel.

• Clunking from front suspension over speed bumps, etc. Intermittent.

• Steering wheel doesn’t not rest in horizontal position when driving straight ahead. Happens on all road cambers. Possibly introduced when dash taken out. Possibly a problem with suspension geometry.

Engine:

• Engine management system repeatedly giving ECU/engine warning lights.

• Flat spot in engine output around 3000 rpm.

• Engine management system flooded engine on a cold morning start.

• Car had extreme difficult starting. Battery light shown in dashboard.

• As car reached 1,000 miles, it started “chiming” for a service.

Electrical:

• Horn failed.

• Air conditioning intermittently blows very hot air out in short bursts. Loose connection with control dials?

• Large sections of wiring loom in engine bay held together with insulating tape.

• Driver’s side windscreen wiper judders and washer jets don’t start on wash-wipe until blades halfway up screen.

Interior fittings:

• Passenger footwell panels to side of central console and handbrake area not attached to anything on delivery – just flapping around.

• Boot light not attached to anything on delivery. Hang by its wires about two inches down into boot.

• Boot carpet over driver side wheel arch not attached to anything on delivery. Hanging down over boot floor.

• Button surround on handbrake not attached on delivery – just resting on end of handbrake lever.

• 2 inch long stain on centre of rear seat back

• Small section of passenger footwell carpet appeared to be melted near the sill on delivery. Possibly a cigarette burn.

• Driver’s seat belt lethargic when rewinding after taking off.

• Cup holder broke – wouldn’t stay in “in” position.

• Multiple, persistent, loud, irritating (and highly amusing to passengers) dashboard rattles.

• Driver’s seat base distorted.

• Instrument cluster rattles.

Panel fitting:

• Bonnet had no overhang on leading edge on driver’s side, but about 8mm on passenger side (Figure 1).

• Driver’s door sat proud of body by about 5mm, while passenger door was flush (Figure 3).

• Plastic scuttle panel cover “popped” out on passenger side sometime around month 8. Gap grew from nothing at centre of windscreen base to around 1cm at junction with passenger a-pillar.

• Passenger door “moved” on hinges around month ten and sat proud at bottom.

Paint and finish:

• Residue from protective pad glue from transportation left on drivers side of front bumper at delivery (rectangular shape about 2 inches wide by 6 inches long, wrapped wrong outermost corner of bumper)

• One alloy wheel spoke was chipped at delivery.

• Multiple hand prints (!!!) were embedded in the clear coat (texture of finish was affected) all along the passenger side of the bumper/tailgate sill.

• Multiple “lumps” and “bumps” in the paint on the passenger side rear quarter panel (each 1 or 2mm in diameter). Suspected dust or dirt in trapped in the paint.

• “Microbubbles” (term used by bodyshop manager) appeared on passenger side rear quarter panel at around month 10. Located on an area about 3 inches by 8 inches immediately behind b-pillar.

• Driver’s door dented in garage, on vertical panel next to glass while in for warranty work

• Gap in clear coat near rear emblem

• Vertical scratches near rear emblem

• Small dent in rear tailgate added near emblem while at last batch of warranty work / bodyshop.

• Passenger door clear and base coats polished through to undercoat on passenger door external edge by bodyshop during general swirl and scratch removal (at owner’s cost).

• Bonnet scuttle / firewall weather seal in engine compartment isn’t glued in - end piece isn’t attached to anything and rubber seal is just resting in position - can be lifted off.

Some of these things I've some to accept as traits of the underlying design - as my Fabia does them as well, and I guess my expectations of a VAG have fallen since I bought that one, but some things, such as these, were patently down to the car not being built right out of the factory:

B-pillar with the passenger door shut:

3453765434_8a7eddd8c5.jpg

B-pillar with the driver's door *shut*:

3452951529_2e40122066.jpg

Bonnet leading edge on the driver's side:

3453765308_233ef30d6e.jpg

Bonnet leading edge (it was shut!) on the passenger's side:

3453765208_f067ff537b.jpg

So, yes, you could say that I wasn't impressed.

Edited by dxg