!! HELP !! My Emissions Light ?? is on!!!

That little yellow light that looks like an engine and a power flash thing is on all the time as from tonight.....

it says its emissions in the book, but also engine management.... HMMM!!!

any ideas, has anyone else had this?

cheers tim

I had this, and turned out to be a faulty exhaust emissions sensor! either that or your cats ****et!

yes well.... hope its not either now i am out of warranty.... any idea of costs for both??

and i do drive like its stolen so could be cat

If your running on cheap fuel I`d try changing to optiplop or equivalent before doing anything!

to the stealers i think....

its been fed on nothing but premium fuels, but you know what i have a complete blank where i last filled it up... maybe there is something in this. No matter its back on BP Ultimate tonight so see if that makes a diff.

just out of interest did your light flash gargoil?

cheers

Mine has been on for the past 4 weeks!!

Dealer said it was the oxygen sensor, i ant running a cat but i do still have the sensor screwed into the `de-cat` pipe!

it will be ok, just stick a bit of electrical tape on dash!! lol laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Mine has been on for the past 4 weeks!!

Dealer said it was the oxygen sensor, i ant running a cat but i do still have the sensor screwed into the `de-cat` pipe!

it will be ok, just stick a bit of electrical tape on dash!! lol laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

excellent news! what exhuast you running and how much was it? just in case it is the cat... and isnt it an MOT failure?

cheers smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

just out of interest did your light flash gargoil?

cheers

Sorry mate can`t remember happened the first day I had the car, took it in and they replaced the sensor! I`ve been pissing myself that i would have problems with this after getting the `de-cat` but so far so good, touch wood! I`m not sure what kind of sensor the signal comes from but if you can screw it out and clean it and put it back in you might prevent having to go to the stealers. or possibly not!

It is an MOT failure, but if u know a friendly mot station then they might pass it!!

i am running a powerflow full system mate!

bout £400 all in

both made by powerflow but by different places, imagine there pretty similar, I still have the original tail pipes as I don`t like to change the exterior look of the car! there just pulled up so they are not hanging down as much as standard!

Though you can tell its not standard when I press the loud pedal!

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Could be almost anything - all the light means is that the ECU has picked up a fault serious enough to flag. This can be anything from the engine running too rich or lean to various sensors being up the shoot.

The only way to find out for sure (without taking it into the dealer and having them plug it into their VAG tool) is to interrogate the ECU using `VAG-COM` or similar. I've got this, which I can bring along to the next `No-Rice` meet if you like, but I guess that'll be too long for you to wait.

The dealer can pull the fault code off in about 2 minutes flat, and give you a printout, which will show the code and a basic description of the problem. If you have a friendly dealer, they might do this for free for you.

The ECU can also log other faults which aren't serious enough to bring the engine check light on, which might help diagnose the issue too. Either the dealer tool or `VAG-COM` will show these.

Finally, even when you fix whatever the problem is, the light will not go out without the code being reset, which, again, needs the dealer tool or `VAG-COM`. :roll:

It`s worth having a `VAG-COM` connection to the car anyway, as its good fun playing with the different settings of the car!

8)

Depends on what you class as 'worth' - if you have to buy a laptop to use it because you only have a desktop PC, it might be considered excessive by some :wink:

It`s worth having a `VAG-COM` connection to the car anyway, as its good fun playing with the different settings of the car!

8)

Depends on what you class as 'worth' - if you have to buy a laptop to use it because you only have a desktop PC, it might be considered excessive by some :wink:

lol ok well i am going to take it to the dealers asap and try and get them to have a look, will let you know.... hope its not too serious

now... `VAG-COM` where do I get a cable from? I have a laptop! can you get the software from the web anywhere?

cheers for the help

now... `VAG-COM` where do I get a cable from? I have a laptop! can you get the software from the web anywhere?

Ross Tech is probably the best place to look. Everyone from `uk-mkivs`.net seems to use them too.

Agreed, you need to get the software from `Ross-tech` ($99), and they also sell cables. If you don't have a serial port on your laptop, you'll need a USB cable - `Ross-tech` again do the best ones. If you do have a serial port, you can build your own cable for about £45, which works out at a slight saving.

buy it on ebay I got my cable for £16 there! the software is freeware! as he says only useful if you`ve got a laptop!

oh i see.... and what was it described as / where do you get the software.... `VAG-COM` surely isnt freeware?

Cheers