Fault Code 16554

I've been trying to track down the cause of this code that keeps popping up. I have just fitted the pre-cat Lambda sensor hoping that would cure the problem but it hasn't. Can anyone supply a likely list of possible causes I can tick off? I did read on a post here that the post-cat can affect the fuel trim levels as well to a lesser extent after mid 2001. Mine is a 52 reg. I'm wondering whether I should replace that sensor too?

Ive got this fault code too! but i dont have a BMC, mines totally standard!

Fuel Trim Malfunction.... Bank 1, I havent got round to fixing it yet but im pretty sure its the pre cat lambada sensor. Dont have a problem with it really only when when its cold and the throttle can be a bit juddery at times but not too bad.

What you can do is get your vag com linked up.... start up the car and wait for the car to be warm so the choke switches off.... then cancel the fault code and drive it about and see if it comes back on..... then stop, wait for the car to cool down and try again and see if the light comes back on whilst the cars on choke.

thats what i did, and it dosent come on when the cars warm, but only when its cold and the choke is on.... hence the fuel trim (choking) malfunction!

Your saying that changing the sensor didnt fix the problem??....... Fills me with hope!, that could be an expensive guess!

Edited by Casper1496

Mine is fine on start-up and pottering about. The code only kicks in when I cruise about 60mph +. I switch it off but it appears immediately afterwards.

Ah i see, when i switch off my fault code, it takes a good 30-40 mins of driving to come back on. I switched it off once, drove to nottingham from london, got to a friends house. and when i got back inthe car to come home the next day it come on after 5 mins. its erattic!

So have you any idea where your problem is arising from? im going to driftbridge VW tonight to see martin and diagnose the problem. Ill let you know if we find out whats wrong.

john

Ah i see, when i switch off my fault code, it takes a good 30-40 mins of driving to come back on. I switched it off once, drove to nottingham from london, got to a friends house. and when i got back inthe car to come home the next day it come on after 5 mins. its erattic!

So have you any idea where your problem is arising from? im going to driftbridge VW tonight to see martin and diagnose the problem. Ill let you know if we find out whats wrong.

john

It could be down to an air leak, making the Air/Fuel ratios outside the limits for the ECU.

this leads to four options.....

1: clean MAP sensor on the inlet manni

2: take off throttle body and check gasket for leaks

3: check the gasket between the air box and the throttle body for leaks

4: buy new lambada

Give them all a go... leave lambada till last as the rest cost nothing to do!

John

Thanks for that, I'll look into asap. I can rule out number 4 as I've just replaced the Lambda because it had failed. One curious thing that I didn't mention earlier, as my findings aren't conclusive, is the condition of the injectors, which is also a possible cause. A clogged injector will also throw up this code and I added some cleaner just to rule out the possibility. I gave the car a run for 30 miles @ about 80mph and the code reappeared as soon as I erased it. On the way back on the same route it happened only once and is still off! Sounds too good to be true tbh. Will tick off the above list anyway, cheers.

I took off my throttle body and cleaned it today, checked all gaskets and seals on the way, and there all air tight, added a bit of PTFE sealant just to make sure.

Whilst doing this, i realised how dirty the TB butterfly was, it had horrible black gunk all over it, so now its nice and shiney, i must say it idles a lot better now, so solved one problem.

So did the TB and gaskets, put it all back together, cleared the fault and took it out....... NO LIGHT, i though yes ived fixed it!

Just went out again to make sure.... and the twa**ing thing came back on!

So now im down to cleaning the lambada in parafin and inspecting the map sensor. But i think ill have a go at taking out the injectors aswell, inspect and clean them, but im pretty reluctant to buy a new lambada if its not going to solve the problem.

This is becoming very annoying now..... does anyone else have any ideas?

took out lambada, its white, which means its running quite lean.

could be a problem, so took it out and gave it a clean in parafin just to be sure, lots of grey matter came out as i flushed it out.

cleaned the electrical connections with cfc free electrical contact cleaner and put it back in.

cleared the code this morning and its not come on since, and ive driven 80 miles with it today.

what i reckon, if it does stay off is one of two causes

1- The car had a steam clean before i bought it, the steam gets in to everywhere co could have corroded the connection. had a problem with a misfire and was dure to corrosion on the leads.

2- Blocked lambada probe... simple but annoying

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ive just come accross a little perl of information in elsa.

To do with fault code 16554.... malfunction:

Problem description

Fault memory entry in the engine control unit and exhaust gas warning light is on:

• 16554, bank 1, malfunction of fuel measuring system

Cause

Software adjustment not optimised.

Production solution

Not in production any more.

Service solution

Update the software of the engine control unit.

Lupo GTI

Old Data versions: 036 906 033 E 5320, 4762, 4011,3898, 3827

New Data version: 036 906 033 E 7000

Workshops equipped with an online VAS tester can perform an online update from week 52/2004 through SVM (software version management).

All VAS 5051 users receive the Flash CD - Software adjustment for control units, version 011.2004 (Lupo GTI from version 012.2004).

The updating procedure can be found in the guided fault finding under Functions/Component selection or in the guided functions from the Brand CD 07.54.00.

In exceptional cases on the Polo the fault code may be logged again in the engine control unit despite new software. If this happens, replace the exhaust gas recirculation valve and perform a basic setting according to the guided fault finding.

Does this mean most GTi's should have an ecu software upgrade?

• 2 months later...

Hi there, just been reading your previous problems & wonder if anyone can help me. My lupo will not go over 3000rpm & jumps like a kangaroo, i have already changed lambda sensor on the manifold, camshaft sensor & crankshaft sensor, but on the code reader its now coming up P0321, can anyone tell me what this means & a possible cure for it. Oh by the way, it sometimes cuts out when u pull up. If someone can help i would be truly grateful. THANX.

16705/P0321/000801 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms

* Engine shuts off

* Engine doesn't start

* Speedometer inoperative

* Glow Plug Indicator Lamp (K29) flashes

Possible Causes

* Engine Speed Sensor (G28) loose

* Engine Speed Sensor (G28) faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

Special Notes

* The Engine Speed Sensor (G28) is also used as a reference sensor for the crankshaft position and correlates with the Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1 (G40) and Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163).

* When found in a 2004 VW Golf, Jetta, or New Beetle with 1.9l TDI-PD (BEW), check for TSB number 97-05-03 or 97-05-04 calling for a flash update to the ECU and a secondary ground installation. This applies if ECU software version is below 6328; current software version should be 7000 or higher.

G28 relates to G40, on your engine G40 is here: item 9

N28-0161.png

Edited by CasperGTI

• 2 years later...