yo gargoil

RobinA3

or whatever your username is

seeing as we lost all those posts about you getting your head ported and polished

i just got a few questions

where did you get it done?

how much did it cost you?

and has it made any difference?

the reason why i am asking is because i have got a few plans for my engine, i want to have the head ported and polished, skimmed, and also have a set of high lift cams fitted along with some sport verniers and a nice manifold.

RMS services, Prestwick,

Can`t remember how much it cost but I think it was in the region of £300 but may have been more as I had the exhaust done the same day! The guy said he could have removed more metal but he thought I would have a decent difference on what he cut out!

Made a difference at higher speeds there is noticably more "go" in the engine above 70 but that could also be down to the `de-cat` as I had them both done at the same time, probably both working together!

Sounds as if you have a similar plan to me, though I`m still not too sure about the skimming!(What would you take off? a few thou? or more?) The only thing that has stopped me doing the cams so far is the cost . For the 1.6 16v it is bordering on a grand for them( i don`t think thats including pulleys), imagine it`ll be cheaper for the 1.4 as more companies make them!

Are you going for one of the manifolds that AAT are offering? I was wondering about getting one of them next till I save for the cams! Recon it`ll make much of a diference itself?

you take off a tiny amount when you skim the head

the metal taken off is like half a tea spoon!!!

suprising that it makes so much difference

cams for the 16v are about £500 for a 256 duration

or maybe it will be better just to sod all engine stuff and get some nos?!

seems like a cheaper and more effective option.

Gargoil ..

wich cat have you had taken out ? the main cat and the precat ?

what are you going to do when Mot time comes ? the reason im asking is i also want to take my cat out (both) but not too sure whats the situ on MoT

ta

NOt sure if it`s both cats assume so, something I`d never really thought about, the guy phoned me midway into the job to say it was going to be dearer than quoted as they had to move some senosr that they hadn`t counted on! I wasn`t really listening as I was too desperate to go drive it. I`ll have look next time I have the car up on a jack! Thinking about getting the exhaust manifold alex f ordered off ebay but am waiting to see if his arrives first!

My mates family have a gargage and he can do Mot`s and he said he`d pass it. Only problem he recently failed the exam that qualifies you to do MOTs and he`s having to go on a training course to retake it, so I hope he passes so I can pass! Not due till Dec 2005 anyway and I`ll probably have a get a new car plan to get one round about then!(plan to get a new red GTi just before they stop making the Loop!)