Pink Xenon (now dead xenon)

One of my xenons has gone pink...

I switch them on, they flash, go blue, then white - then one of them turns pink!

Anyone got any idea what's wrong? Which bit of the xenon might need replacing? My hopes are on just the bulb (even though I know they cost the earth).

Ta.

Xenons don't have a filament, they work by creating an electrical arc in the gas.*

*I think. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Hope you get it sorted.

Looks like you right, I thought they just used a different gas. Learn something new everyday.

HID light sources (Xenon and Bi-Xenon)

Xenon projector low beam headlamp illuminated on a Saab 9-5.HID stands for high-intensity discharge, the technical term for the electric arc that produces the light. Automotive HID lamps are commonly called 'xenon headlamps', because of the xenon gas used in the lamps. The xenon gas allows the lamps to produce minimally adequate amounts of light immediately upon startup and speed the warmup time. If argon were used instead, as is commonly done in street and other stationary HID lamps, it would take several minutes for the lamps to reach their full output. HID headlamps use a small, purpose-designed metal halide lamp which produces more light than ordinary tungsten and tungsten-halogen bulbs. The light from HID headlamps has a distinct bluish tint when compared with tungsten-filament headlamps. The high intensity of the arc comes from metallic salts that are vapourised within the arc chamber.

HID headlamp bulbs produce between 2,800 and 3,500 lumens from between 35 and 38 watts of electrical power, while halogen filament headlamp bulbs produce between 700 and 2,100 lumens from between 40 and 72 watts at 12.8 V [1][2][3]. Because of the increased amounts of light available from HID bulbs, HID headlamps producing a given beam pattern can be made smaller than halogen headlamps producing a comparable beam pattern. Alternatively, the larger size can be retained, in which case the Xenon headlamp can produce a more robust beam pattern.

HID headlamp bulbs do not run on low-voltage DC current, so they require a ballast with either an internal or external ignitor. The ballast controls the current to the bulb. When the headlamps are switched on, the ignitor provides rapidly pulsed current at several thousand volts to initiate the arc between the electrodes within the bulb. Once the arc is started, its heat begins to vapourise the metallic salts within the arc chamber, and the ballast gradually transitions from startup operation to arc-maintenance operation. Once the arc is completely stabilised, the ballast provides 85 V in conventional D1 and D2 systems, or 42 V with Mercury-free D3 and D4 systems.

Despite marketing claims to the contrary, HID headlamps' light output is not similar to daylight. The spectral power distribution (SPD) of an automotive HID headlamp is discontinuous, while the SPD of a filament lamp, like that of the sun, is a continuous curve.

The arc within an HID headlamp bulb generates considerable short-wave ultraviolet (UV) light, but none of it escapes the bulb. A UV-absorbing hard glass shield is incorporated around the bulb's arc tube. This is important to prevent degradation of UV-sensitive components and materials in headlamps, such as polycarbonate lenses and reflector hardcoats. The lamps do emit considerable near-UV light.

European vehicles equipped with HID headlamps are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users.

HID headlamp bulb types D1R, D1S, D2R, D2S and 9500 contain the toxic heavy metal mercury. The disposal of mercury-containing vehicle parts is increasingly regulated throughout the world, for example under US EPA regulations. Newer HID bulb designs D3R, D3S, D4R, and D4S contain no mercury, but are not electrically or physically compatible with headlamps designed for previous bulb types.

The arc light source in an HID headlamp is fundamentally different from the filament light source used in tungsten/halogen headlamps. For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. Installing HID bulbs in headlamps designed to take filament bulbs results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries.

Edited by Gavs_arosa16v

No help to you john, but just so people can see a bit more about how a HID bulb works.

HIDDiagram.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

I knew how they worked tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Just odd that it's gone pink - not sure I want to risk swapping them, how easy is it?

My suspicion remains on the bulb as the ballast is only there to get it started isn't it?

Its not all that easy to do yourself John & probably not worth the risk of damaging either bulb... you've still got the extended warranty haven't you?

I thought the ballast was part of the self leveling of the xenon? Certainly when the ignition of my xenon went, they never referred to it as ballast? Ignition & bulb cost me £300 excluding labour, at staff rates. Would've been £570 plus VAT (ish) including labour.

Could be either to be honest.

On my Audi S3 the ballast (the box that provides the high current/voltage to the bulb) had gone but the bulb was fine......make sure that the car has been off for about 30min before touching anything as then its quite straight forward for the xenon bulb change.

An AA guy blew the top of his finger off when findling with a xenon bulb that had power still going to it, after thinking it was a normal bulb change.

Could be either to be honest.

On my Audi S3 the ballast (the box that provides the high current/voltage to the bulb) had gone but the bulb was fine......make sure that the car has been off for about 30min before touching anything as then its quite straight forward for the xenon bulb change.

Edited by mike_m

All sounds sensible, but the chances of the warranty covering the bulb are zero. I'll have to source one and get mr VW friendly to fit it.

I was thinking more of the ballast etc for the warranty than the bulb. Is it the same bulb that went before, or the other one?

Bah, well today it's no longer pink - it's utterly dead. So a pink xenon looks like it may be a dying xenon.

The warranty is now a "named parts only" warranty, so doesn't cover anything with much potential to go wrong.

I doubt it's the ballast box, as this just supplies the initial current. The bulb should run on 35w without the initial boost after that.

Anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced decent bulb? Not really up for shelling out to VW...

the ballast on the lupo gti contains two main parts, the ignitor (starter) and the balast itself. the ballast itself is actually a voltage control unit that raises the voltage and stabilises it.

There is a possibility that if its not giving the correct voltage, this could well cause the pink colouring.

If your gona go messing with the electrics, i'd recomend disconnecting the earth 30 minutes before working on it...

Edited by nfbr

• 1 year later...

I am susan from Ningbo, Zhejiang China

My father opened a factory four years ago,

if any technical question need to asked or want to buy cheap xenon bulb, ballast, or HID coversion kit ,

just contact with me by nbesusan@gmail.com ( email & msn )

I am very pleasant to make freinds with you.

www.ningboelite.com

or can download our product catalogue at this link, (right click- save target as)

http://www.ningboelite.com/downloads/ningboelite-catalog.pdf

• 1 year later...