Newbie needs help

mike312

Hello I'm new to the site and am seriously thinking about buying a lupo gti i've seen. I've got a couple of questions:

Does £8500 sound alright for a 01y gti with 15000 on the clock no leather or extras but it does look pristine (especially the alloys.)

Are they reliable?

Whats fuel economy like?

are aftermarket bits (like alloys and body kits) easy to get hold of?

Sorry if you've answered these questions before but I want to make a quick decision, the car drives alright (although i took it steady) and i've been looking for one for ages.

As far as I know there is no "bodykit" for the GTi, you'd be better getting a 100Bhp Sport if you want to style/tune it. Getting bits for the GTi is difficult and any decent stuff is imported from Germany! Usually tuning parts are expensive!

They are reliable though! My GTi costs me about 10p a mile to run. Main prob with that is the petrol tank is tiny (200miles) so you fill up a lot and it feels less economical!

£8500 sounds like an alright price but is a good mileage for the age but I'd try and knock a few hundred off that and get the price towards £8000!

Thanks for that advice i'll try to knock him down a bit. The question about body kits was worded wrong. I am part ex'ing my smart (don't laugh) and after market bits are hugely expensive (i paid £600 for a quad exhaust) and interior bits are usually imported so people can charge what they want. If you want to personalise the smart you cant just nip down to halfords and buy a new gear knob for example. So I just wanted to check that if I want to change the alloys for example they aren't a weird config that I cant get anywhere and therefore cost twice as much.

Well i know there are a few peeps on here who have had problems with their's Lupo's but overall i would say they are are pretty reliable... Mine is anyhow touch wood... regarding price pay a bit more and getting one with more extra's, and similar mileage... and definately get a 6 speed, none of this 5 speed crap

Hi

Not sure if you trawl the autotrader website ever but there are a few bargain GTI's on there at the mo.

Dealer car in silver with 6000 (yes 6000 miles) for 8495 on an 01 Y with air con. Or 02 black with 8000 miles Private for 8495.

Just a thought!

Tom

Well i've told the man I'm buying it so i'm gonna pick it up on saturday. Sorted out a deal including my car just can't wait to pick it up now! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

are aftermarket bits (like alloys and body kits) easy to get hold of?

Once you see the car in the flesh mate, you'll see there is no need for a bodykit, you couldnt improve on what must be the best looking standard kit on any car.

Welcome to Club Lupo! :wink:

Cheers fellas, I've seen the car in the flesh by the way and one of the reasons I wanted one was because my mate had one (bad story) and I thought it looked modded even though it was standard.

Silver and totally standard.......For now. I've just seen the first thing on my shopping list, the rear clusters.

I've just seen them on this site on the inters pics but i've seen them on other cars and thought they looked cool.