Gearbox Shot - Already?

just picked up my new Lupo sport today, bought it off Bikerz who had the gearbox rebuilt at a cost of £600. Took it for a test drive and it sounded ok. About 5 miles down the road, i start to realise that there is a whining noise in every gear, especially in 3rd and 4th, sounds worse when you let of the accelerator as you can hear it sort of winding down. So as you can imagine im not a happy chappy, just want to know - is this symptoms of a ****ed gearbox? i know sport gearbox's are prone to bloomin' but one with 36k on thats already been rebuilt - surely not? angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? Mate get that recipt out of the folder, as im sure they will give you a year garentee on work, esspicaly costing that much

still got to pay to have the box removed, then send it off, wait a few weeks without a car then get it back and have it fitted again - and it might even still be f*cked as it seems they didnt do the job properly first time round. Powersteering pump is also leaking, exhaust mounts have broken at the front near the cat and at the back and the cetre section is about 1mm from rusting through, rear pads are basically metal and the radio code ISNT the last four digits of the chassis no. great.

Going to have to stick up for Sheldon here, a 2nd hand car is purchased 'Sold as seen'. I can imagine its very annoying after buying a car to find its got faults, but the previous point still stands

Edited by Joe

OK maybe gearbox wasnt reapired well (i cant coment as no gearbox specalist) but cant you call the number on recipt and im sure they will have a warrenty, that gearbox has done next to sod all miles. Im sure when they rebuilt it that have to replace 3 sets of bearings and some other bits on gears 2,3,4.

Going to have to stick up for Sheldon here, a 2nd hand car is purchased 'Sold as seen'. I can imagine its very annoying after buying a car to find its got faults, but the previous point still stands

dont think i ever had a go at him did i? but when i asked is the car all ok he said, yeh its all fine, had it serviced etc, when clearly it isnt. just abit annoying when you buy a car and have faith in the buyer and it turns out i need to spend quite a few quid on it to get it right. I always trusted buying cars off of forums as they are usually looked after to a really high standard and if the owner says the car is good its usually good, this is my first bad experience buying off a forum but i no know not to trust everyone! its going to cost over £500 to have everything put right.

OK maybe gearbox wasnt reapired well (i cant coment as no gearbox specalist) but cant you call the number on recipt and im sure they will have a warrenty, that gearbox has done next to sod all miles. Im sure when they rebuilt it that have to replace 3 sets of bearings and some other bits on gears 2,3,4.

there is no receipt for any gearbox rebuild in the folder you gave me, been through it a few times. think ill just flog it on to an unexpecting forum user.

yeh, its a bit different when it happens to you, and your going to have a £500 bill, 10 weeks before you start uni, which iv had to have a gap year working to earn money to go to uni, now going to be £500 down. If you have nothing useful to say, please dont say anything, i think enough crap has come my way with a £500 let alone you telling me its tough crap.

yeh, its a bit different when it happens to you, and your going to have a £500 bill, 10 weeks before you start uni, which iv had to have a gap year working to earn money to go to uni, now going to be £500 down. If you have nothing useful to say, please dont say anything, i think enough crap has come my way with a £500 let alone you telling me its tough crap.

Didnt you test drive the car prior to buying it? It must have been making the same noise? wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> Exhaust mountings, will cost you about 20 quid to do because all they do is tack them back, same happened with mine. Pads cost about 20 quid max, and any fool can do that themselves. Power steering pump leaking, again didnt you see fluid on his driveway etc?

Im assuming you're 18 or 19 the same age as me if you've just done a gap year and are going into uni, i completely understand how the money side of it is an issue. But, you havent bought the car off a dodgy dealer. This guy is sound and it just so happens that you've had a bit of bad luck. The brake pads and the leak you probably could have / should have seen before you did the deal. If you asked "how does the car go?", it still goes fine doesnt it? Just a few little things need sorting out. £500 seems a bit OTT to me.

p.s. dont take anything ive said the wrong way, i can totally empathise with you. But you cant really say its all sheldon's fault because its up to the buyer to see any potential faults and negotiate them into the price. Sold as seen remember...

Sorry your having problems, but as said earlier: "Sold as Seen"

I paid £loads for a 54 plate GTi, would have preferred a dealership deal with warranty, but hey ho. I've seen a few bits and pieces I need to sort (cosmetic though) and I needed 2 new tyres on the front.

I didn't go moaning, I should spotted them myself and tried to knock a bit more off the price.

Get the receipt or contact details from Bikerz and contact the gearbox rebuilder.

"Life's a bitch and then you die!"

Edited by Silver!

I've go a load of exhaust mountings, not to mention a non leaking power steering pump.

I'd suggest you check the bolts that go into the pump have both washers on, they're like a fuel line in that respect.

Rich

no leak on the drive as i always check stuff like that, just had a new exhaust centre section put in as the other one was on its way out, Paid for the radio code to find that the speakers crackle and fuzz, took them out of the doors, connections are all fine so new speaker time now too. Of course i test drove it, but the noise didnt show, and it only shows now after about 5 minutes of driving. I still have never said "its bikerz fault he is a w*nker" (even though its how i feel!) its just disheartening to pay for a car that on the surface seemed decent to find alot of faults when i got it home. New centre section just cost £50 + 2 new clamps to join it to the original system at a cost of £14 and then an hours labour of £30 to fit it and weld up the other mounts. its all the little bills that add up!

Can you not ring the dealer up who carried out the work on the gearbox, tell them your registration details and they will tell you how much warranty is left on the rebuilt gearbox.

you got any chrome bonnet lifters? i spied them in the rear footwell the other nig, or are they already spoken for? biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

You should have asked, I gave it to Chris, free.

it's mostly up for free looting although it's now basically entirely reshelled into mine.

wonder if the rain has stopped?

Rich

Darn it! i knew i should have asked! I have poverty plastic lifters sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Darn it! i knew i should have asked! I have poverty plastic lifters style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I have matt black ones too, we are the elite matt black lifter club from what I saw at Kames. chrome are nearly as common as Raven blue GTis.

Edited to say:

Actually reading that back the elite matt black lifter club sound quite dodgy in a Blue Oyster Bar sort of way...

Edited by Silver!

I have matt black ones too, we are the elite matt black lifter club from what I saw at Kames. chrome are nearly as common as Raven blue GTis.

Edited to say:

Actually reading that back the elite matt black lifter club sound quite dodgy in a Blue Oyster Bar sort of way...

yay to the ELITE crew! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I would like to have a rare chrome lifter to go with my rare car colour laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Most of the later GTI's, from around a 53 plate came with plastic lifters and a synthetic leather gaitor, its all part of their cost cutting scheme! cheapos!