iPod Dock Install into the Coin Tray

Few pics of mine..

Used a genuine iPod dock, with remote.

Dension 300 iPod link

Few notes....

Two dimples in the center of the facia need drilling for the remote to work.

I used a cheap extension from eBay for two reasons, if it breaks it only costs £4, and not £30 from Dension, and the head of the plug is much smaller.

Jamie's looked much beter than mine.

DSCN4629.jpg

DSCN4621.jpg

DSCN4626.jpg

DSCN4648.jpg

Mine is off the car cause the cable got trapped and no longer works, so another £4 cable is on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys

does the ipod dock fit without doing any modifications??

can u recommend a decent head unit too use, i have this alpine one but the cd player is broke cos i crashed my mk3 golf

images%3Fq%3Dalpine%2Bcd%2Bplayer%2Bfor%2Bcar%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

No, the iPod dock needs mods to fit.

99hjhm could you link me to the dension cables you used i cant find them. i have a Classic if that makes any difference

also how much modding did the ipod dock need to fit? it doesn't look too modded from those pictures.

99hjhm could you link me to the dension cables you used i cant find them. i have a Classic if that makes any difference

also how much modding did the ipod dock need to fit? it doesn't look too modded from those pictures.

No, just needs about 4-5mm take off each side.. Not very easy, then it needs securing to stop it moving around when you put the ipod in it.

This is what I have....

http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/VW_ice%3ELink_Gateway_100_Car_Kit

bloody hell thats not cheap, i was expecting a connects 2 type thing(just a couple of cables)

so you litterally took a saw to your ipod dock? lol

looks pretty tidy from the pictures

gah i cant even find a black ipod dock now heh, it is a genuine apple dock yer?

Yes, it's a genuine iPod dock, painted black.

I took mine apart and ground all the bits off flush at work, should of done it on a milling machine. the base is diecast metal.

• 2 weeks later...

i removed the dicast metal piece from mine as i thought it would make it too heavy plus the weight of the ipod for the coin tray its only there as a weight anway

and instead of cutting the dock i cut the sides from the coin tray and used some plastic filler to smooth the sides off

Edited by jamiea7x

i removed the dicast metal piece from mine as i thought it would make it too heavy plus the weight of the ipod for the coin tray its only there as a weight anway

and instead of cutting the dock i cut the sides from the coin tray and used some plastic filler to smooth the sides off

Wow plastic filler

Im going to have ti find some of this