iPod Dock Install into the Coin Tray

I wondered if members might be interested in seeing my install of an iPod dock into the coin tray below the CD / Radio units. With the standard Beta or Gamma unit and VW single CD player, the setup will work with or without the CD player.

This uses the genuine VW / Apple iPod adapter and the VW CD illumination lead, and leaves all the existing wiring loom uncut and intact should the install need to be removed.

With the iPod connected, the head unit does not display track/artist/title information. It is however displayed on the iPod, usually in the glove box where it can’t be seen. Mounting it in the dock means that the track info can be seen, although the iPod still needs to be controlled from the head unit.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

The iPod dock is wider than the coin tray and needs to be slimmed down by about 4mm each side. I did this with a surform plane and finished with glass paper. It cuts quite easily. Doesn't matter if the sides are a bit rough as they are hidden by the coin tray and help to grip the sides to stop movement.

IMG_0002.jpg

The issue with using the dock to hold the iPod in place is that if the input connector for the iPod is connected via the dock, rather than directly to the iPod, there is no sound output, so the line out dock connector needs to be utilised. I used a 3.5 mm headphone cord and connected the wires into the CD audio output wires from the iPod adapter. Fairly straightforward as the audio wires are shown on the sticker on the head unit.

Common to green wire (twist the two outer wires from the headphone cord together).

Right channel to yellow wire. Left channel to grey wire.

I soldered the joints and covered them with heat shrink tubing. Folded the existing wires from the iPod adapter back and taped them to prevent short circuiting.

IMG_1484.jpg

With the slimmed down dock is placed in the coin tray, I made two holes in the tray and

one in the back of the outer shell for the wires to pass through. I did this by heating a screwdriver and melting the holes by touching the hot screwdriver onto the plastic. I taped up the wires to give them some rigidity when the tray is pushed in otherwise they can just kink and fold up.

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

I followed the instructions for connecting the iPod adapter to the cars wiring but used the CD illumination connector so that I didn't need to remove the power pin from the connector in the car. This means that the iPod adapter and the CD illumination is powered without touching any of the car wiring.

I fitted the tray back into the holder and ran the wires down into the passenger footwell where I wedged the adapter unit above the foam cover. All the other wiring then fitted behind the Radio and CD. Ensure that the wiring behind the tray runs freely and doesn’t get caught when the tray moves in and out.

IMG_0005.jpg

If using a single CD plug the iPod adapter lead into the CD unit, if no CD plug the iPod adapter into the CD socket in the radio.

IMG_0007.jpg

Hope you may find this useful.

(For info. I have now replaced this kit with a VDO Beta/Gamma MP3 CD player which does not support an iPod link and so will be selling the full kit including the dock and coin tray if anyone is interested. All the work done for you!)

Edited by Tigz
Tidy up the code.
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not relavent tothis subject but... If anyone wishes to do the same I have a cointray for sale. Perfect condition. As I replaced it with another cupholder. £10 posted

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm if this works with the iphone? (Dock and Line-Out)

I have just installed the VW ipod kit to my Gamma and Single CD setup...which is all working fine. :) I've modded the coin tray to take the ipod link cable...but I've not done the dock (yet).

When I try the line-out on my separates in the house it doesn't give any sound. On further investigation it seems this is a feature not supported with the iphone, apart from on some compatable in-car devices and other devices.

Anyway all I want to know is if I do the line out mod will it work? I don't really fancy taking the whole thing out cutting and soldering the wires if its not going to give any audio.

Hope this makes some sense. :wacko:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. :)

I did this (without the tray thing) on my old 2G phone and it worked fine.

At the time my 3G phone didnt fit my old dock, but you can either cut away a bit of the plastic, or buy a 3G iPhone dock and connect that way.

The issue with using the dock to hold the iPod in place is that if the input connector for the iPod is connected via the dock, rather than directly to the iPod, there is no sound output, so the line out dock connector needs to be utilised. I used a 3.5 mm headphone cord and connected the wires into the CD audio output wires from the iPod adapter. Fairly straightforward as the audio wires are shown on the sticker on the head unit.

Common to green wire (twist the two outer wires from the headphone cord together).

Right channel to yellow wire. Left channel to grey wire.

I soldered the joints and covered them with heat shrink tubing. Folded the existing wires from the iPod adapter back and taped them to prevent short circuiting.

IMG_1484.jpg

So if I do the above it will work with the dock and iphone?

I picked up a cheap 2G dock of ebay and modded it fit the 3G already. ;)

• 2 months later...
So if I do the above it will work with the dock and iphone?

I picked up a cheap 2G dock of ebay and modded it fit the 3G already. ;)

Part number for shelf/stowage compartment(Don't call it the coin tray, or the VW parts guy might have a moment) is

6N0 858 373 01 C - Satin black £31.08 + VAT

And for the trim on the front....

6NO 858 341 01 C - Satin black £5.55 + VAT (This is the blank front!)

Edited by 99hjhm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

not sure if i still have pics of my old one...but im pretty sure im the only one who done it "properly" ie not using tape etc

i sold it to another lad on here because i found my touch fitted better in on eof the dash vents