`G-TECH` Performance Pro thingy

Right I've bought one of these thingys and my plan is to position it to the right of the steering wheel next to the lights on/off knob. I want to wire it permamently in, but car electrics are not my strong point. It usually goes into the cig lighter. I was planning to wire it in to the back of the lighter. Am wanting to know how about going about this, should I be putting in a fuse. Is there anywhere else I could consider wiring it too?

It would be easier to either run a power cable to the battery, or use a positive connection from the relay board and a ground under the driver side of the dash than to remove the cig lighter socket.

Definately fit a fuse, the location is up to you.

The plastic panel directly under the drivers side of the dash has three retaining screws IIRC, remove them and its above the throttle pedal region. You can take a feed from the posivive terminals there. Just double check with a multimeter first.

QUOTE(snoopstah)
If you fit this properly, aren't you going to have a job persuading the insurance company that you don't use the car for racing/time trials should you have an accident?

I don't think that's relevant - as long as you weren't in a race / time trial at the time of the accident.

Whether or not you were at the time, it would probably cause them to look more closely at the car and the accident. Which is never a good thing.

They might even try and argue that as it was permanently wired, every time you went out you were involved in a performance trial.

Looking at it though, should be easy enough to wire it in permanently and just shove an `in-line` plug somewhere, so you can take it out. Probably the safest solution (plus you can easily remove it if you leave the car for an extended period).

QUOTE(snoopstah)
Looking at it though, should be easy enough to wire it in permanently and just shove an `in-line` plug somewhere, so you can take it out.  Probably the safest solution (plus you can easily remove it if you leave the car for an extended period).

Agreed - I really don't think it would invalidate insurance, as it's just feeding back information - but you might as well have it rigged so it's removable to save the bother of any questions.