Petrol Light

Bubbles

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could do 500 miles on a tank in my GTI I recon - not that I'd want to!

That'd be a tank every two weeks then for me. I like the weekly fill. I also like all the petrol receipts i can claim for!!!

Only 500 miles? I thought you did more than that on one tank...?

I did John. I've previously had 670.9 miles from a tank of diesel.

But this time I filled-up after 500 miles and the fuel needle was only a smidge under the half mark (as the photo shows in a previous post). At that rate, I could have travelled in excess of 700 miles, but I chose to fill-up sooner smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i put £20 in the clio yesterday so that i could use it for work today.. its almost all gone...

well... you gotta enjoy it every now and then right? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Thats really good mpg paul. I never got that from my sdi lol Poor thing had done 110k tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

i put £20 in the clio yesterday so that i could use it for work today.. its almost all gone...

well... you gotta enjoy it every now and then right? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> i bet the saem journey is half that in the arosa is it tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Thats really good mpg paul. I never got that from my sdi lol Poor thing had done 110k tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Thought it was 118K Daryll tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Thanks Daryll smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

According to the thread I linked to, I've covered over 23K in the previous twelve months, so mine will soon be on 110k!

On my way to work this morning.. the needle was halfway been the red line and the first line (half a quarter of a tank)

And the red light came on!!

As weve only had the car a few weeks i dont actually know how many miles i have left when that light comes on... in the clios its around 30 miles, but will that little tank get me that far?

I filled up after doing 372 miles (on £26) biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> is that good? hehe

To answer Bubbles' original question, I'm afraid I'm not sure blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> I've never travelled more than 18 miles with the low fuel light showing because I didn't want to run her dry.

Only 500 miles? I thought you did more than that on one tank...?

500 out of a gti? not saying your a bullsh$ter but i dont belive that!

or you must drive very very very slow! and still wouldnt belive it.

Edited by ryan lupo sport

Running a diesel dry will do no good to the car at all...they may need to go to a mechanic before being driven again...so i dont advise it!

That's why I never have wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I'm just careful to make sure that my SDi is frugal with the motion-lotion smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Running a diesel dry will do no good to the car at all...they may need to go to a mechanic before being driven again...so i dont advise it!

Yep i know about that, thats why im not going to try.

Actually in the 10 months ive had my TDi, the light carnt have been on more that 5 times laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> , i usually always fill up just before it comes on. As usually i always have to go somewhere and the fuel garage is on the other side of town so its a pain if i had to get fuel first so i always make sure theres pleanty in.

But at a guess i think 50miles with the light on would be ok in a diesel, although i doubt i would ever do more than 40, just to be on the safe side wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by cardaft

My fuel consuption just keeps getting worst sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

My wife filled up last week with £20 diesel. The car has done 230 miles and the light has been on for the last 60 miles. Its not sitting right down on the red yet, but it can`t be too far before its run dry (I live a mile from the garage)

I reckon I`ll have to have a look at the fuel filter, air filter and an oil change as its using far too much for a TDi. I don`t drive economically, with my daily drive being 50 miles mostly on the motorway at 75mph, but 54mpg seems a little low.

Paul, you have my utmost respect! you have managed a way better economy than I ever did!

blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Thank-you kind sir smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> i bet the saem journey is half that in the arosa is it tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Thought it was 118K Daryll tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Lol it may well of been come to think of it lol I wonder how she is getting on tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

My fuel consuption just keeps getting worst sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

My wife filled up last week with £20 diesel. The car has done 230 miles and the light has been on for the last 60 miles. Its not sitting right down on the red yet, but it can`t be too far before its run dry (I live a mile from the garage)

I reckon I`ll have to have a look at the fuel filter, air filter and an oil change as its using far too much for a TDi. I don`t drive economically, with my daily drive being 50 miles mostly on the motorway at 75mph, but 54mpg seems a little low.

Your getting 54MPG?

230 miles on £20 is less than 54 MPG isnt it. Mine averages 54-56 MPG usually, and im not an economical driver either, so it might be ok.

But yeah, change your fuel filter and put some fuel system cleaner in the tank and see if it improves.

Lol it may well of been come to think of it lol I wonder how she is getting on tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

lol, hopefully well, she will have many more miles left in her smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

What cleaner do u use chris

He uses Forte, you can get some off him when you come up, I've put some in mine, its seems good stuff smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />.

I've done 67 miles with the fuel light on. It was on a mix of duel carriageway and A road sticking to 70 & 60mph.

I carry a can of diesel so i wasn't too panicked shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

I reckon i would get 400 miles to a tank if i could resist driving fast, but it's not going to happen, as they say we are a "money rich time poor society"

On the subject of running a diesel dry, done it loads of times. Just make sure as soon as you feel the engine die dip the clutch, let it cut out, coast to a halt and put your reserve can in. Then when you start up (it should start up straight away) give it a good rev to get the bubbles out of the fuel line and you're away.

Oh.. my car is an Arosa 1.4 STDi (another one in that boring gun metal colour)

I love the gray colour I think it one of the best. Yea 400 miles to full tank isn't that hard if your not to heavy footed biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I thought if you ran out of fuel then you have to bleed the whole system on a diesel?

500 out of a gti? not saying your a bullsh$ter but i dont belive that!

or you must drive very very very slow! and still wouldnt belive it.

It's certainly not the kind of thing I'd be doing all the time - usually I get 250 miles tops out of the GTI, but I did try once, and got 400. I could have done better than that though, and I think if I had better conditions (no traffic, mainly motorway) then I could get 500 miles out.

Driving like that takes a lot of skill and concentration, take it from me!

I once had 53mpg from a 1.8 20v passat over a journey from London to Birmingham and back.

I've done 67 miles with the fuel light on. It was on a mix of duel carriageway and A road sticking to 70 & 60mph.

I carry a can of diesel so i wasn't too panicked shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

I reckon i would get 400 miles to a tank if i could resist driving fast, but it's not going to happen, as they say we are a "money rich time poor society"

On the subject of running a diesel dry, done it loads of times. Just make sure as soon as you feel the engine die dip the clutch, let it cut out, coast to a halt and put your reserve can in. Then when you start up (it should start up straight away) give it a good rev to get the bubbles out of the fuel line and you're away.

Oh.. my car is an Arosa 1.4 STDi (another one in that boring gun metal colour)

I like that colour too, its very nice, only suits the Arosa IMO, Alteas look really drab in platinum grey.

OH: is that your TDi pulling a caravan in your avator? Any pics of your arosa? shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

I love the gray colour I think it one of the best. Yea 400 miles to full tank isn't that hard if your not to heavy footed biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I thought if you ran out of fuel then you have to bleed the whole system on a diesel?

Ive never seen 400 miles to a tank with mine, will have to try harder laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

lol chris thats bad, boy racers like you should be taken off the road lol tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />