Petrol Light

Bubbles

On my way to work this morning.. the needle was halfway been the red line and the first line (half a quarter of a tank)

And the red light came on!!

As weve only had the car a few weeks i dont actually know how many miles i have left when that light comes on... in the clios its around 30 miles, but will that little tank get me that far?

I filled up after doing 372 miles (on £26) biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> is that good? hehe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's anything like the lupo then i reckon easily 30 miles. i often run it through to the white line on the other side of the red band.

Wish i could get 372 to £26, mines roughly 270-280 to £28 (lupo sport with a 75bhp gearbox)

I think you could probably do about 50 miles, but it obviously depends on what kind of driving your doing at the time, like motorway or lots of heavy traffic.

There is also this:

Button in fuel tank

For when your doing longer distances, i usually fill my car to the brim and then press and hold this once and then fill it to the brim again, i get a bit more diesel in that way.

You can press the button loads of times and fill up each time, although its not usually a good thing if its really hot or you dont use the fuel quickly, as it 'can' burst the tank in theory.

But its a handy thing to know about since the tanks are on the small side.

Theres a button?? oooooo cool!

So my panic driving for 8 miles this morning wasnt really needed! lol

I may buy myself a little Gerry can and try your your '50 miles' theory wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by Bubbles

Yep thats a good plan, as ive never had 50 miles after the light comes on, i always fill up before that, but i might give it a go this time too, saves me filling up as often laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Did you click on the link above? it tells you a bit about the button smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Paul with his SDi got 210 miles bfroe the needle even moved from full.

Edited by cardaft

210miles before the needle even moved from full!

mine would have moved from full to bottom and need refilling after 210 mile lol!

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Where as mine is now on half at 210.

I dont know how Paul manages it, he must have removed his accelerator pedal!

400 miles from my GTI with a light foot. I believe Paul just about managed 700 on a tank from his SDI?

Feck, 400 miles. is it the same size tank as the sport, i'm assuming yes. i'll be having a look for this button of life!!

He must be lying wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

i thought the SDI wernt supposted to be as good on fuel eco?

Well actually the SDi and TDi should do the same MPG according to the brochure, however the TDi is quicker, so people usually drive them quicker so get less MPG.

And also it depends how you drive it, ive noticed that if i sit at 60mph it uses a bit more fuel than if i sit at 70, i think its to do wih where in the rev range the turbo somes in at.

I think the best MPG Paul has had from his SDi was 80, and ive had 75 from my TDi driving 180 miles at 70ish all the way so not taking it too easy, so they are very similar really.

And to get an SDi you either need to buy a mk1 Arosa or a Lupo, so you made the best choice with an arosa TDI biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />, not that i dont like mk1 arosas or lupos, but i think the arosa tdi probably suits what yuo want it for better.

Edited by cardaft

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Well i dont fancy running out of fuel laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> , it wont do it much good.

But i might see if it would do 50-60 miles with the light on, i doubt it will run out at that, but usually as soon as the light comes on i usually fill up.

So usually i average 100ish miles to a quater, so the last quater i do about 50 miles then the light coems on, soin theory i should be able to do another 50, but will there be any fuel left after the gauge has stopped moving?

I dernt try it, someone else can have a try tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Paul with his SDi got 210 miles before the needle even moved from full.
I dont know how Paul manages it, he must have removed his accelerator pedal!
400 miles from my GTI with a light foot. I believe Paul just about managed 700 on a tank from his SDI?
I think the best MPG Paul has had from his SDi was 80, and ive had 75 from my TDi driving 180 miles at 70ish all the way so not taking it too easy, so they are very similar really.

Oddometer.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

the fuel needle was here:

Fuelneedle.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Obviously, I'd filled the expansion tank beforehand. So I filled her up to the same level as before (filling the expansion tank again to the same point) and that took 28.09 litres of diesel. That equates to 6.18041804 gallons of diesel.

So 501.6 miles covered, divided by gallons used equals 81.1595586 mpg, or 81.16mpg smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

If I'd have carried on at that rate, I could have exceeded my previous best of 670.9 miles to a tank. I'm sure I could have gone beyond 700 miles...

It's all been done by not exceeding 2000rpm and reading the road ahead. I've not braked harshly and I've not tried for lightning starts. Plus, I've coasted along whenever it's been safe to do so.

I accept that I've got an economical car, not a fast car, so I might as well see how economical it can be smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> 81mpg and £35 roadtax makes it cheaper to run than anything else I know of shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> Thats very good MPG, i would have been well into my second tank of fuel to do that milage.

Iknow what you mean about the SDi and driving slower. I usually drove slow in my 1.0 as there wasnt anypoint in thrashing it as it didnt move any faster. I still didnt get very good MPG though, i think its my driving laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

But i might give it a go with my TDi on my next tank, although i doubt ill be able to stick to driving slow laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> .

What kind of driving was that Paul, like long distances, motorway driving?

ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> Thats very good MPG, i would have been well into my second tank of fuel to do that milage.

Iknow what you mean about the SDi and driving slower. I usually drove slow in my 1.0 as there wasnt anypoint in thrashing it as it didnt move any faster. I still didnt get very good MPG though, i think its my driving laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

But i might give it a go with my TDi on my next tank, although i doubt ill be able to stick to driving slow laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> .

What kind of driving was that Paul, like long distances, motorway driving?

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

As I said, with only 60bhp, I'm not going anywhere quickly, so there doesn't seem much point in thrashing it. Accelerating gently and braking in advance produce smooth driving, which gives a high mpg smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

That 500 miles was covered over a series of journeys. I travelled from Bromsgrove to Trowbridge (96 miles) and then to Hemel Hempstead and back (238 miles) and then to Exeter and back (166 miles).

So I reckon that on one long journey (such as Lands End to John O'Groats and back) I could easily exceed 700 miles from a tank. When I did that journey in my petrol-powered Panda 903cc a few years ago, it took five fill-ups to travel the 1766 miles.

Hmmm, that gives me an idea... wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />