Drivers side electric window fault

mintylupo

As the title says, I've been having problems with the drivers side electric window and on Monday it was very difficult to get it to work at all, ended up having to open the door on the M6 toll to pay!.

Is it a fairly common problem? And is it easy to fix?

Cheers,

Rob.

Check the wiring harness from the A post of the car to the front of the door when it's open and check for broken wires. rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...
can you hear the motor clicking when u press the button?

Not too sure whether the post originator does but i do when i press mine. Doesn't go down though.

I have to resort to opening my door for everything! Should really get it fixed as it's been like that since last may!!

Not too sure whether the post originator does but i do when i press mine. Doesn't go down though.

I have to resort to opening my door for everything! Should really get it fixed as it's been like that since last may!!

I had the same problem with mine. The motor was clicking and the window would go up so I figured it was the switch that was at fault. I took the switch unit apart and noticed that the drivers side window switch had obviously got wet at some point, because there was visible green/rusty corrosion stains.

VW sell the switch itself, for £14, that you can replace without having to replace the whole unit (both switches and central locking button).

A good test is to swap the switch over with the one that operates the passenger side - if the window then works you know its the switch not the window motor.

Easy job really, don't know why I put up with it for so long either!

got the same fault listed listed last week .ripped of the door panel .had a play around not the switches. window goes up not down. decided to take it in before i take a hammer to it. the guy rang to day says its the motor. [fishy as the motor goes up]

any way see what he comes up with let you no . while its there i have asked him to look at the pesky engine light its been on for a month or three [common fault] any way rang to say its the heated breather pipe that popped a fuse. funny same fault that cost me a bomb 14 month a go. [these breather pipe don't last lone] i am wondering if there is a short circuit some place in that circuit as the breather element looks bomb proof to me. all sounds very costly. huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> thinking its time she went no not the wife the lupo.any one got a new polo gti. looks pretty tasty to me.

• 2 years later...

hi av jst went out to my lupo sport went to open the drivers window and you can hear it clicking but it wont go up or down so a put the passenger on in the drivers side switch and that workd the passenger window fine put it back in the drivers one and the driverswindow is still not working cant see any broken wires any where any ideas thanks

Edited by mikey ynt

After 6 months ive just got mine mostly sorted, wondow stopped working and i needed a new regulator as the plstic bits had snapped and let go of the window! doh. same issues with the passenger up/dopwn as above people so im gonig to follow the guide in the "how to" section to clean the swtiches before buying new ones.

Suprised no one has said about using the forum search button yet..........

My Driverside electric window packed up recently. At the same time I was having a problem with my rear washer jet not working, with water coming into the cabin near the passenger side rear speaker.

Turns out the water jet connector had come undone, which had made all the electrics wet. Since connecting the jet and after a few days my window worked again. Seems strange as the wires are know where near the window.

yes m8 i think it is your switch a think mines is the motor but a hope it is not

Mikey ynt- I've got the same symptoms on my GTi- also ruled out the switches by swapping over, then stripped out motor and regulator, ruled out a jammed regulator stalling the motor so substituted with another motor, figuring that the onboard circuit board built into the motor housing had packed up. Unfortunately this does not appear to be the problem, so it looks like a poor connection/ broken wire, failed relay or a control ECU. As others have mentioned, you can hear a definite "click" from the motor when operating the switch, suggesting its getting a control signal.

The only other fault that has occurred some time before the motor stopped was that the interior door locking switch only unlocks, and doesn't lock, which may or may not be related.

Just wondered if you or anyone else had resolved this issue as the wiring loom, relays etc are up inside the dash behind the fusebox which means effectively taking the car off the road to dismantle the dash for access?

• 1 year later...

My passenger window switch stopped working, but driver side could still operate it. Than it stopped working and I could still hear the motor working/lights dim when press it. Now the drivers side window is being really temperamental and only working half the time.

Could this mean that it is the switches that have died? and not the motors

• 4 months later...

I have also got a problem with my passanger side window, it wont got down! I hear a clicking noise when i press the button, it also clicks when i press the button on the drivers side, havent tried switching the switches over yet will give that a go and see what happens.