rattling noise cumin from beneath car

N14L VW

today wen i have been driving and taking my foot of the accelerator there has been a ratlling knockin noise coming from underneath my car could this be my exhaust ill be taking it to me mates garage just wantin a little help

cheers niall

took mine in for a service yesterday, and was told that one of the center exhaust brackets had rusted off the exhaust, tho mine wasn't rattling or making any noise. could be something similar tho?

I've got a knocking sound when i put my foot back on the throttle after changing gear, i think its more to do with the change in momentum. It sounds a bit like something hitting the body because i can feel it a bit through the car. I thought it may be exhaust related too?

took mine in for a service yesterday, and was told that one of the center exhaust brackets had rusted off the exhaust, tho mine wasn't rattling or making any noise. could be something similar tho?

I had this too, all the brackets had rusted to sh't and the flexi connecting to the cat was knackered as well, ended up with a new exhaust from the manifold side connection back! 300 odd squiddlies it cost me, but that was v. competitive as another garage wanted 400 notes and were going to fit the wrong zorst, the 1l model as they didnt think my car was a 16V as its only the e model.

Ah well, money well spent, hadnt had to touch the exhaust since the car was new and I drive like a loon.

Mine had a rattle for ages, i took it to a garage on tuesday and they sorted the problem.

It was worse when the engine was cold and it was really noisey, i thought either the exhaust or the clutch.

It turned out to be the heat sheild which covers the driveshafts was loose. So the garages tightened the bolts and problem sorted.It was worse when cold as the engine runs more smoothly when its warned through.

I've got a knocking sound when i put my foot back on the throttle after changing gear, i think its more to do with the change in momentum. It sounds a bit like something hitting the body because i can feel it a bit through the car. I thought it may be exhaust related too?

i had this problem on my old sport, ended up being rear engine mount made a thudding noise every time i put the foot back on the accelerator when i mashed it, if you get what am saying? could be this or as ssaid before could be the exhaust

I think we all have this problem! angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

My exhaust rattles too (comes from the centre of the car) i reckon it is the heat shield,

i'll have it in garage towards the end of the month so not too worry.

I also have another rattle which is extremly embarrasing, it comes from the back left side

it sounds like metal on metal almost like when your mum puts your football boots in the washer.

On the early 1.4 models I owned the front flexi-pipe would crack then start rattling when decelerating/coasting along. Sounded like a metal pea rattling inside a tin. Had to replace the front section (CAT and all).

This place is cheap: www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk . . . and so is this one: www.onlineautomotive.co.uk . . . bot sure for GTI models though.

oh good. i had this until yesterday. i went to quickfit. to ask on a quote on new zorst for which ever bit was rattling.

luckily, the guy had it on the ramp. found the problem. it was the meshy bit at the front of the cars zorst before it goes to manifold. he put 2 big u shape metal clips over it and slightly tightened them up till the rattling had gone (didnt crush the metal tho) had it on ramp for 45mins. charged me a £5!

Mine used to rattle when I reved the engine or when I turned her off.

Discovered itwas the lower engine mount........the two bolts had work loose, simple undone them and put some thread lock on before doing them up tight. Been fine since and that was over a year ago.

I had/have this. Been fixed once under warranty and less than a year later its started doing it again. As I understand it it is indeed the heat sheild making contact with the exhaust in some way or simply just working loose and vibrating.

I get it when moving off from stand still, generally only when the engine is cold for some reason and never once moving and upto speed.

Cars going back in for a service so going to get it looked at again, although annoyingly I'm now out of warranty. I'll report back on costs if there are any.

Welllll, ive just jacked the car up to have a peep underneath and one of the exhaust brackets has broken off the exhaust itself. Dont know whether to replace the centre section on the car as i have a spare one lying around, or tack the old one back on? I still somehow dont think this is whats making the noise though confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

i had this problem on the sport, and i took him to kwikfit and they refitted the bracket for me for free smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> problem solved! vw wanted to replace the whole exhaust even the exhaust was perfect!

i had this problem on the sport, and i took him to kwikfit and they refitted the bracket for me for free smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> problem solved! vw wanted to replace the whole exhaust even the exhaust was perfect!

How did they refit it for you? I'm guessing the bracket had just come away from the body of the car and not actually off the exhaust. On mine the rubber part that attaches exhaust to body is still on there holding bracket to the chassis, the actual bit to the exhaust is what has come away. Im thinking as a temporary measure i can use some gaffer tape and hold it there, then go for a quick spin and see if the noise has gone.

If it's still there, back to the drawing board laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

oops sorry i meant they refitted a new bracket smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> the old one had totally rusted away

Problem solved, i stuck some foam in between the bracket and the exhaust to stop them from hitting each other, then wound some insulating tape around too just to secure it for me to go for a quick spin. Sure enough, its gone! Yayyy!

lol I had this problem too, and a garage refitted the bracket for me for free, and guess what VW wanted to replace the whole exhaust, even though it was perfect (quoted me £500) lol

Pete

I had/have this. Been fixed once under warranty and less than a year later its started doing it again. As I understand it it is indeed the heat sheild making contact with the exhaust in some way or simply just working loose and vibrating.

I get it when moving off from stand still, generally only when the engine is cold for some reason and never once moving and upto speed.

Cars going back in for a service so going to get it looked at again, although annoyingly I'm now out of warranty. I'll report back on costs if there are any.

Andy, are you not still in warranty for the work they carried out under warranty, as I thought there was a 1 year labour guarantee at the stealers! I've had 3 new cd autochangers free, just because they always break within a year of having the last one fitted! (personally id rather have one that works though lol - new one seems to be holding up well smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />)

Pete