Casper's Supercharged GTi - MK Indy Hayabusa Turbo - 413bhp/243ftlb

CasperGTI

Dedication on this build...

will be amazing, simple as that...

Wish I had the money to rebuild my engine to this level....

unfortunatly i have had to make a few sacrifices, with a house and pending wedding... :(

Good work John...

did you get cooler sorted?

Thanks for all the comments.

Went down this morning to the workshop before going to thorpe park, Taken 1kg off the flywheel which is more than enough. Just got to balance it all up now and hoping for it all to be back to start to rebuild some time in this week.

Oil cooler is being sorted out, thanks to icegeezer for giving me the heads up on that buddy.

ARP bottom end bolts on order now too.

54mm M45 pulley has been made, just got to go and get it pressed on in the week.

John

Ok so the crank is now back, Im all ready to start rebuilding.

Just got to gap the piston top rings to 0.012", the oil ring to 0.015" and then its time to put it back together. Finally!

Whole bottom end balanced, With 1kg off the flywheel, should be nice and smooth. Hopefully fast too!

I didnt get the bottom end knife edged in the end, my man dosent approve of it, and said its not going to make any difference if i do anyway really, plus loosing inherit strength when its machined.

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

John

Awesome, just out of interest how do you actually trim a piston ring down if its too big?

Gapped a fair few when rebuilding 2-stroke engines but never had one that was out of tolerance. :)

Using a piston ring grinder, Basically its a glorified a dremmel drill with a fine grinding disc on a flat surface. Some have DTI's attatched to them to actually see how much your removing.

Or a fine dimond cut file. Either way does the same thing, you just have to make sure you de-burr them before fitting.

John

Started to put the engine back together today, In the process snapping a 2nd groove ring, Got one on order for weds so i can put the last piston in.

Spent most of the day fixing clairey car, So not too much of an update.

P1030104.jpg

P1030107.jpg

P1030109.jpg

P1030110.jpg

P1030112.jpg

P1030116.jpg

P1030118.jpg

P1030119.jpg

P1030121.jpg

P1030122.jpg

John

Thanks luke, yeah i hope so.

TBH if it drives crap with the lightened flywheel then ill just get a steel one machined up at a later date, I dont think its going to be too bad. Only time will tell though!

New ring comes tomorrow, so can carry on with the rebuilld, Hoping for the engine to be assembled and partly in by the end of next week. then theres lots of niff naff to do to get it finished.

John

Wow man that engine looks fantastic!

Summer Festival at 'Pod?

Thanks, And yeah why not, would be good to see what it will run. You will have to get your camera set up inside it for the runs!

John

Im just hoping it stays running propperly! Tigz you can stick cameras where you like aslong as i get a copy!

Going away for the weekend so work is on hold untill i get back, have next week off work though to get alot done. I hope!

Its just one of those things that needs that final push to get finished.

John

Well the first days work was a success.

My 16 row oil cooler arrived, this was a bit of an after thought, so for now i wont be running it unless its really needed. Atleast whilst im running it in i wont be using it. Got alot of fettleing to do to get that in!

P1030151.jpg

Got my charger with custom pulley on it. Had an idea to add a keyway to the shaft and add a grub screw to it, this allows me to move the pulley in and out 4mm each way to get my belt 100% square.

P1030152.jpg

P1030163.jpg

P1030164.jpg

P1030165.jpg

Rebuilt the bottom end, Then hit a snag where the oil jets now hit the chunkyer con rods ever so slightly on 2 chambers. So after a bit of filing and removing the bottom end again they now go past just fine.

P1030128.jpg

P1030132.jpg

P1030134.jpg

Head on, decompression gasket and sealant used, happy as had a nice even bead all the way round.

P1030141.jpg

P1030144.jpg

P1030145.jpg

P1030146.jpg

P1030154.jpg

Doing the cam belt and geting the timing right proved to be a right pain, 3mm extra on each route on the belt makes alot of difference, after removing all the idler pulleys and tensioners i finally got it right. runs about 1/4 tooth slightly retardet atm, might adjust the keyway on the crank if the timing provides me with much more hassle.

P1030155.jpg

And finally the money shot. My belt routing, length is about 1830mm, and theres loads of them about!

P1030158.jpg

P1030159.jpg

P1030160.jpg

Tomorrow, make lower charger bracket and finish belt routing, weds and thurs put the clutch and gearbox on and put the engine in the car, friday exhaust. 1st start some time over the weekend i hope.

John