Door Check Straps

Hi all,

Ive got a problem that when i open both my doors they creak, crazy loud about 5 to 6 times till fully open.. The volkswagen garage told me it was the check straps in the doors that had gone.

So i asked for a price:- £15 per strap, so i thought happy days, doors fitted for just over £30.

Then they told me labor cost would be £140 to change them,

"would you like to make an appointment Sir"

"fk off" na i sed no thanks.

Is the any cheaper way i can get round to fixing my problem? are they hard to change?

Has anyone else had this problem, and solved it?

Many Thanks

Creedy

I just had the same problem, I think. Mine was cluncking badly. I just tightened the 2 bolts where it connects to the door? Stopped the noise for now at least. I took off the strap connected to the wing, then took off the rubber seal, and used a socket to tighten them up.

Maybe try this before purchasing a set?

• Like 1

I obviously need 2 aswell, that makes 6 from the Cardiff area straight away..

LoopyLing, what car has your wife drive, seen a Pea lupo in Mujibs car park by the flyover yesterday.. Was it u~?

• 4 weeks later...

My drivers one is terrible! and the passenger one, the bolt snapped where it goes into the nut (where the thread of the bolt is) So not sure if mine will be a straight swap with that one

Mine was really bad, but then it stopped completely. just have to be careful as the door doesn't open in stages.

I'd be in for a pair.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Simple job to do!!! i managed to get trade discount for mine which was only bout 70p but it all helps! im 18 with minimal vehicle mechanical skills but i did it in bout 15 mins. all you do is:

undo the bolt holding it to the car

remove the rubber bung

remove the lower door card

undo the 2 bolts inside the door (which can only be accessed properly when it has been relesed from the frame)

pierce the moisture barrier behind the lower door card and pull out the old check strap

put the new 1 in and put it all back together.

Hope this helps

Kris

• Like 1

Bikerz - step away from the toolkit! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

(Just kidding - it sounds very easy. I may be forced to do it myself too, although the new bits my dad made up are lasting very well)