Power Steering - My car dies every so often

I am the proud owner of a wonderful W reg Lupo Sport, but I have one complaint. Which could be rather deadly.

My car has done this twice now, each time I have been leaving a roundabout. My steering seems to have locked up on me. Its like the steering lock kicks in for a couple of seconds, the lights go out and I can do sod all with it.

I have taken it to my VW dealer and they ran their checks through it and they said there was no problem, that it must have stalled, but it couldn't have as the engine was still running.

Bit of a dangerous problem that.

What do you think?

IMHO, VW should take their responsablity and make sure the offending parts/the whole car are/is replaced.. tricky question of course because it ll probably be a case of the broken radio that starts working again the moment youre in the shop to take it back...

as u say fran (oh, and welcome biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />) this sounds like too dangerous a problem to leave it as it is..

That is a [b:post_uid0]serious[/b:post_uid0] safety issue. Tell them that until they have found and diagnosed the problem, you don't want the car back. If possible, take it back to the dealer you bought it from.

And tell them you want a courtesy car too if its going to take some time. Don't let them fob you off either.

I mean, this isn't just an irritating squeak, its something that could prove to be a danger to you, your car, and other road users. Imagine if trying to change lanes on the motorway at 70mph the steering locks up???

I'm not trying to scare you, I just think you should point out to the VW Dealer the severity of the problem, and excactly how dangerous it is....

Go get 'em wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Oh I will be don't you worry. Or I want a written statement from them confirming that there is nothing wrong with my car, so if I do end up having a nasty accident, I can say 'well I said there was something wrong with my car, but the garage didn't and they refused to do anything about it'.

I had this same problem with my first lupo. what happened was on of the boots on the steering rack had split, and a piece of stone or gravel had got stuck somewhere inside the rack and consequently got jammed every now and then!!! very serious problem!!!!

QUOTE(luporacer)
if I do end up having a nasty accident....

problem is, if you decide to go ahead and have that nasty accident, it might all be too late for you or some other poor *******..

it looks like your gonna have to be firm and demand they look into this more in detail till its solved, and not back off before that!!

I hate dealers like that.........It seems like they just won't believe you...and the problem you have IS a real danger, not just like sumthin "my airco doesn't work"...That's why I try to do most things by myself; I just don't trust them anymore sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I agree with you Rudy... and I think it is a serious problem, go tell them!! I have a problem in my car now, the gear knob moves too much (maybe not prepared for a diesel engine wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ?)

Anyway, I told my dealer and they said that it wasn't dangerous for the moment and that my super (3 year) guarantee was going to cover that smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> .

The bad thing is that they have to replace the whole gear thing sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> and that takes a lot. So I will be taking the car in June (30 000 km service) and they'll do everything.

Getting a replacement car even though the car will only be there for one day smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Problem solved!!

Took it to a different VW dealer garage today and they actually took the steering wheel off!!!

The found that there was a disk rubbing somewhere and that was causing it to jam up. This garage even took it for a test drive afterwards!!!

Thats service for you!!