Since new my Gti has leaked water out from the passenger side repeater.

The dealer has looked at the car many times and fitted a new expansion tank and pressure tested to cooling system but with no sucess.

After a drive where i have either gone over 55mph or 3500rpm there are water marks tracing from the passenger side repeater down the wing and the door. Water appears to be coming from the inner wing and the only thing near there is the header tank and the 2 hoses to the header tank. There are dried coolant stains under the header tank so it must be leaking but i cant seem to stop it or trace how the leak occurs.

The overflow from the header tank just seems to be a hole in the plastic about half way up and facing the passenger wing so maybe water is coming out the overflow...strange though as the car never goes above half way on the temperature gauge and i run the coolant level on min when measured on a cold engine.

Anyone else having this problem or got any ideas please?

so are you actually losing fluid then? it might be that water is sitting in your wing! and the air flow is pushing it out. could be a run on the outer body panel not working and the water sitting in something. get on to vw and tell them to fix it! warranty!

It must be losing coolant but its such a small amount that its hardly noticable. I took about 3/4 of a pint out the header tank to get it from where it was (above full) to the min level so even a minor leak will result in no noticable drop in the level for ages and because its so gradual it isnt easy to spot.

Thought it could be water trapped but its been dry for 3 weeks and ive done 1200miles and its still doing it so its isnt that.

Took passenger side repeater out last night and there seems to be a plastic bottle in the inner wing (like the washer bottle) but hole from repeater is too small to see much. Wonder if the screen wash reservoir spills into another bottle in the wing and that is whats leaking. Still leak looks like coolant to me.

Yea there are two bottle's both connected to each other so when you fill up the one it fills the other, the bottle on the inner wing is used for the headlight sprayers, it has a seprate pump in it.

I still cant see how water (coolent) would get thru to the repeater though .. are you SURE that is has coolent in it ? not that im doubting you but its just so wierd

dab a little bit in your tongue! tastes sour and salty then its coolant. or could be someone beating one off over your lovely car so becareful! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I know i sound crackers and it is such a strange fault but thats part of it.

I cant figure it out, the dealer hasnt a clue (though do VW dealers even know what planet they are on?).

Im going to take a closer look at the headlight washer bottle this weekend while i have wheels off to put the 17's on.

I hope your not right Putney, or there may be Lupeadophile in my area praying on young Lupo's. (sorry that was abit tasteless wasnt it).

Moreno,

Luckily my side repeater stays dry inside but we may have the same cause for the waqter leak.

Mine hasnt done it htis weekend as ive been going really steady. Does your leak only happen when you drive the car abit hard?

mines never done this and i have thrown it around a lot of corners. not been funny but did you wash the car a day or two before. i think it is water getting trapped!

I did think it was water getting trapped at first but car has been dry for 3 weeks and done over 1000miles and the problem is still there.

Only does it after a hard drive though so it is definetelly leaking coolant. Cant find the leak though.

your car under warranty still? go for a cane on the way to the vw garage roll in with it running down the side and leave the engine on and see what they say? they might take the side panel off and check it properly!