Howdy chaps

stevenb

Due to a job change I'm having to sell my beloved Celica GT4 Carlos Sainz......and I'm seriously gutted.

I thought that as I'll now be doing lots more miles per year than before I'd buy a small diesel car. Go the whole 9 yards so to speak.

The Arosa 1.4 TDi stands out being both small, cheap to tax and insure.

I have driven the 1.0s before and liked it apart from the flimsy gear change but not sure how the 1.4 tdi would compare.

64 mpg combined and nippy performance stands out for me.

I have approx £3.5k budget (no higher!!!)

Any members on here with a 1.4 tdi?

What are your experiences of ownership?

Thanks

Steve

Hi, welcome to the club smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Ive got an Arosa TDi and a 1.0S Arosa. I wouldn’t really say the 1.0 has a flimsy gear change, maybe you just drove a bad one?

The TDi has much lighter brakes, clutch and steering to the 1.0 but there is still pleanty of feel through the wheel and pedals.

Mine is totally standard and i get about 57-60MPG average, which is normal driving, quite a bit of motorway driving and some hard acceleration at times. On a bad/fast week i get about 52MPG, but thats the worst ive had.

It depends how you drive, im not a particularly economical driver, so it can do better than that, and i get 65MPG easily on a good run. It seems to use fuel quite quickly round town, i think its because it takes the TDi longer to warm up.

Performance is good, i was surprised when i got mine how nippy it is, and they can easily be remapped to give more power and economy.

Ive never had any problems with mine, just the usual things, tyres cambelt etc. High mileage isnt a problem for them if they are looked after. There is a member on her with an Arosa TDi which has covered about 194K!

When your looking at buying one, make sure its had a cambelt change, if not try to factor that cost in with the sale price. You could get it done from about £150-£200 from an independent garage. It should be changed every 4 years or 40K, which ever is first.

You should be able to get s good example for your budget, although lupos are more money and i know id rather have an arosa any day over a lupo, more spec, prefer the front etc.

There are usually quite a few on Autotrader for good money, try to find one with FSH. I check things like tyres, make sure they are the same make, has it got interior mats and mud flaps etc, it just lets you know if the owner has bothered to care and spend money on it, or else where have they saved money elsewhere?

Model wise, if you get i think its 52reg onwards, they have 2 air bags, ABS, and a dark interior. Previous ones dont have ABS, only one air bag and a lighter interior (which i didnt realise before buying mine wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />, but its a great car non the less). All have remote centrol locking, electric windows, alloys etc. Cd players were an option, but air con wasnt available.

A couple of things i have done to mine to make it more livable with and better for long journeys is: Lupo Sport gear knob, its longer and therefore gives a better change, a full size spare wheel, i wouldnt fancey having to use the space saver when im miles away, also fitted boot side carpets which makes it quieter, and im looking into getting rear arch liners. These last two things you get with a lupo but its the only advantage over and arosa, easily fixed wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Hope this helps, and sorry for the essay laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> if you want to know anything more just ask smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Chris

Edited by cardaft

Hi Chris,

Cracking advise that man. Ta very much.

It seems to be cementing my allegience with the TDi hearing goods news like this.

I must admit (I don't want to upset anyone after just joining) that the Arosa certainly looks nicer than the Lupo but both are excellent little cars.

Maybe the 1.0 model I drove wasn't a good example. The rest of the car seemed to be fine though.

I was surprised how smooth it was too.

Excellent.

I shall be scouting around the Autotrader for adverts over the next week or two.

Not in any rush to buy....just want to make it the 'Right one'.

If anyone sees a bargain tdi on their travels please don't hesitate to drop me a PM.

I live in South Bedfordshire and I'm prepared to travel approx 100 miles....maybe more if it's a great deal.

Kind regards

Steve