Rattles - Removal of

16 days and 2800 Miles on and I’ve picked up my first rattle. Think I spotted the same one mentioned on another post but too lazy to search through them all. Maybe I shouldn’t have gone large at MDs but now the lower plastic cover underneath the cup holders rattles more than a diesel engine. Seems to die out when the plastics all warm up but holding a hand under the cup holder cover stops noise. There are no screws at the bottom of the cover to be able to secure it properly, only two at the front edge (a design flaw surely) so it was probably always going to vibrate. Suggestions on the best fix, I was going to try a bit of card or possible a thin squirt of silicon along the open join. I also noticed a vibration coming from the door after I’d driven down a cobbled street, locking and unlocking seemed to get rid of it for now.

Crusoe , i had the same prob in my gti , and i agree with twisty , the best solution is to stick in something like a bit of card where the bottom of the cup holder bit and the heater controls meet , stopped it in mine

Down the DIY centre later for some double sided foam tape then, cheers.

tdwindustries, for your dash rattle try pressing on the plastic cover above the heater controls and under the drinks holders, sounds like the commonest rattle location. Is the speaker vibration from the door cards or the speakers themselves?

the best solution is to stick in something like a bit of card where the bottom of the cup holder bit and the heater controls meet , stopped it in mine

I had the exact same prob of rattles too sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> but the same solution also worked for me :thumbs:

But I bet it comes back once VW have buggered around with the dash while trying to mend my heater switch tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />p

Maybe you just drive yours like an OAP on a Sunday afternoon tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />p though judging by what I’ve heard on the quality of Irish roads yours’ is probably the most likely to be shaken to bits out of the lot of us. Sticky backed foam solved the rattle biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

well if u had Spax springs ud be drivng like an OaP .....

since the car has been lower all it does is rattel!! - When i look at the car in the drive way i can see it rattleing.... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

You are supposed to switch the engine off biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Helped a mate setup a tarmac rally car for an Irish round, had to soften the suspension loads and he still claimed he was taking off over all the bumps.

You are supposed to switch the engine off  

Im so blonde some times.... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Irish roads - yes there pretty bad, but when i was getting the car lowerd Demon Tweeks recommand Spax cos they r made your english roads. They should have explaind what colivers were. I would have got them.

do koil overs make the ride a lot harder? mine rattles under the cup holder. i just turn the tunes up! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

Just killed three rattles in one go.

Bought a bag of rubber washing machine washers and i needed some anyway, and used them to get rid of three rattles.

1. Placed some flat between the cupholders and the top of heater plastic and they hold everything in nicely.

2. Glued three together and wedged between windscreen and back of left hand tweeter housing as that was rattling.

3. Used the cardboard from the packaging to wedge under cd player as that was not a great fit

69p and a bit of superglue solved three rattles was well chuffed

i dont like the cup holders. i drive in an odd position. i sometimes open the cup holders with my knees. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I’ve heard of bow legged but you must have a real problem mate, how can you touch the peddles and knee the cup holder? tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />p

You’ll need to book yourself into a chiropractor sitting like that haha

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

i sit very close to the wheel. usually hanging on for dear life. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

try touching the cup holder with your knee. then put your seat so you can hold it there. thats my driving position!

Slide your seat back as far as it goes, lower it to the loest position and tilt the steering wheel down a 1/2 inch and it's perfect for me biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Don't think i'd even get into the seat with it that far forward tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />p