Hi - New Forum user - advice and opinions gratefully received

TomS

Hi Guys and Gals

I have been browsing the forum regularly for a little while now and decided to post up.

I currently drive a Mk1 Clio 1.8 16v which I have owned for just over 2 and a half years now. Cracking little motor, but I'm feeling the need for a few toys and luxuries aswell as a nice nippy little hot hatch like the clio. I just can't seem to shake the Lupo gti from my choices!

I have seen a Y plater for sale with under 40,000 miles that I may go and have a look at. It doesn't say it's a 6 speed though, I'd ideally want a 6 speeder.

Any advice on what they are like to own would be ace, as I tend to keep my cars for a few years!

Are the service intervals set or is it just whenever the display informs you? When is the cambelt due?

Services at VW expensive I presume?

Cheers

Tom

Edited by TomS

Welcome! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Y-plate won't be 6-speed, sadly!

The Clio's probably got a bigger boot, but if you don't care about that/need a boot then it's ok!

Hey Tom

Servicing is just as expensive as any dealer network TBH, but on a Y plate, with no warranty theres nothing to stop you getting the oil change done at the dealer (I pay £60 a time just to get the book stamped then do any other work myself.)

5 year old and 40k miles is due for a cam belt if its not had it already.

Your looking around £300 for this at the dealer (I would recommend a dealer replacement for the parts and labour warranty on it) but you can always use that when haggling.

Gearbox, whether its 5 or 6 speed doesn't really matter, theres not much difference between the boxes.

Go on condition over gear ratios smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks for the replies

I really want a 6 speed box to be honest, although I can see your point about condition over 5/6speed.

I think it may be worth saving that bit extra and maybe getting a later model one!

Cheers again

Tom