How to: Coolant Temp Sensor Replacement

After suffering the usual inactive gauge for a while I decided to get the parts and replace it myself rather than pay for someone else to do it.... here's what I did:

Bought the following parts:

part number 059 919 501 a retail £26.28 inc vat

seal n903 168 02 retail £1.02 inc vat

coolant g 012 a8 fm1 retail £6.87 inc vat

Wait for engine to cool down, had a look under bonnet for location of sensor see photo's (it's the green bit!!). I removed the engine cover and foam surround for easy access. Bare in mind that this is after I have taken the connector off (this is black with four wires coming out of it)

bay1.jpg

bay2.jpg

To remove the connector I used a small flat head precision screw driver in the gap marked with a rectangle below, this made taking it off much easier. The clip is handily placed facing towards the engine block for you inconvenience

connector.jpg

I then prepared for the "quickly pull the old one out and put the new one in" technique, by placing lots of cardboard on the garage floor and cloths in the engine bay to soak up any leakages. Then remove the clip from around the base of the sensor on the engine block by pulling it downwards. Prebuild the sensor/seal and have it handy...

Pull out the old one and make sure the seal comes with it, then quickly line up the new sensor and wedge it back in.... this will be whilst coolant is coming out. I took about 15secs and lost approx 750ml coolant. Which I topped up when I'd finished the mopping up process.

Anyway this is the bit that caused the problem...

unit.jpg

Any questions please feel free!!!