Hey what car??

IwantaLUPOGTI

hi everyone i would love to buy a lupo GTI in the near furture just woundering which is best i.e the 6 speed or 5 speed one. I currently own a vw polo coupe an am a member of club polo, i love my polos an its a toss up between a G40 or a LUPO GTI hard decision, both are rare but the g40 is so much cheaper, BUT...........

I think it has to be a Lupo GTI i just think there really nice an i want something newer for a change.

anyone have any tips where to start i would appreciate it i have read up loads on the lupo just wana know i have made the right choice cheers.

wozza

ah mate i have a 5speed and its the best car ever!i'd deffo recommend a 5speed but am sure the 6speeders on here will point u there way. the 5 speed is quicker to 60 and (even though i havent tried a 6speed) i reckon will feel nippier...plus...the old rpms fly in the 5speed so you can really give it some. where abouts r u based?

Well more gear changes involved in the 6spd to get to 60 but i've got a 6speeder and its a hell of a laugh. The gearbox is so sweet, i actually enjoying changing spec.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

And as for the G40 vs GTi you've got to try both. Perhaps Petrified can help you out on that one because he's had a golf mk5 gti, lupo sport and loads of g40's!!

Good luck biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

cheers for year feedback (CRASH-im based in northampton m8) thanks for the chart penry.

i have been looking more at the sixspeed at the mo but was wondering if there is a major price differnce between the two?? i doubt i will be able to afford anything newer than a 53 plate tho as the lupo is one expensive car smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> i just love veedubs tho.

As the chart shows, the 5 speed is 0.1 of a second quicker to 60 laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

That's not enough for me to want a 5 speed

The in gear times for the 6 speed are more impressive to me

Tom

off the lights though i 'happenned' to floor it the same time a guy next to me did in his 6 speed and becus of the changes the 6 speed lost a hell of a lot of ground. 5 speed any day. no point in the 6 unless your in a ferrari.lol

off the lights though i 'happenned' to floor it the same time a guy next to me did in his 6 speed and becus of the changes the 6 speed lost a hell of a lot of ground. 5 speed any day. no point in the 6 unless your in a ferrari.lol

confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

I have a feeling that might be more down to the driver - when the 6 speed actually *reaches* 60mph, I really doubt there'd be any distance between them at all, as the 6 speed got to 50 faster.

its a debate that has no doubt come up so many times before.

i own a 5 speed and love it to bits. plenty quick enough. id be very interested to drive a 6 speed but i cant help but wonder that the 6 speed is more of a novelty item rather that a real performance benefit.

driver error is key. very true mate very true. not that i condone racing on the street what so ever that is. huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Well it all depends on the spec you get. Leather and especially air con are very sought after options, 6 speeders were optional then so you may be lucky and get one. There's a 2002/ 51 reg one on auto trader if i remember going for 6 grand ish. Cant remember the full spec though, but there were only 9 for sale in the country last time i looked - most of those probably out of your range. Whats the max you want to spend?

The box is irrelevent both versions have a fine shift, buy on condition, ie I wouldn't stretch my budget to a newer, more shabby car, just to get the newer box. Choose it on condition and you'll be much better off.

I own a six speed as mine was new and thats what it came with, but the performance differences are tiny and it wouldn't have worried me if it were 5.

Do a search, amazingly this debate has come up before. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

im looking to spend around £6000 but possibly more just will have to wait a while longer to get the money

you will get one for that mate. they vary between 5500 upwards depending on condition. the odd ones pop up here and there cheaper but not often smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The 5 will be quicker to 60, but the 6 will be quicker to 58 (or whatever it is you need to change gear at). The in-gear times will be quicker in the 6 too.

Are you really likely to notice the difference of a fraction of a second acceleration time though? In actual driving they're very similar, it's only on paper there appears to be a large difference.

I agree with AndyW, buy on condition, not on the box.

i recently drove lukes (db) 5 speed and prefer my 6 speed box, i felt personally the 6 speed pulled muched better in all gears where as the 5 speed felt like it laboured a touch. again though as previously said its all personal opinion.

as a guide i got my 51 plate gti with air con and a sun roof last march for £6900 from a VW dealer with loads of extras thrown in

good luck with your search

Jen x

Edited by Jen